Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 AM

164 posts, read 353,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
If I hear the comment about following the crowd and the Money Magazine thing again, I'm going to scream. I'll say it again I never heard a thing about North Carolina being anywhere anyone would want to move. I think these folks should get over this. I keep hearing about Vegas,Scottsdale and Gilbert. People out west laugh at your when they say NC. I can't speak for the east coast states, but don't lump me in with that follow the crowd mentality. My crowd is heading to Co,Tx,NM,UT and I'm not following them.
Exactly. I haven't read any articles about NC and had no idea that NC was "the place to go" when we first started our research. Although it may appear from the forum that Californians are moving to NC by the truckload, that simply isn't true. We get looks of confusion when we say we are moving there, and comments that suggest we are moving to the moon. People leaving Cal are mostly moving to other states out west. And even though Californians are leaving, it's still a bizarre concept to most out here - "leave the promised land??" As our governor pointed out in his last State of the State address, California is still the "goal" for most Americans, which is why it's called the California dream and not the Kentucky dream. (Don't red dot me - he really did say that, not me!!)

So yeah, I'm not sure what's going on on the East Coast, but those moving to NC from out west are definitely not following a crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Good point! We are actually the renegades from the west. Once the initial laughter subsides, my CA friends would then try to be nice by saying something like, "well, I admire your guts for moving across the country." One problem with Californians is even if you tell them you are moving to the another western state, you will still hear stuff like, "how are you going to deal with all that rain?" - WA, OR or "how you are going to deal with the cold and snow?" - CO, ID and "How are you going to deal with the heat?" - AZ, NV.....You just can't win if you tell people you want to leave CA!! They are so wrapped up in their perfect weather. Of course those comments mainly came from already existing homeowners. My fellow renters got it, although they never did fully understand NC....
I am also a Calif.native who recently settled in NC. I too heard some of the outrageous comments that need not be said!!
"How are you going to tolerate the heat,you will freeze in the winter, how are you going to get used to all that snow"!!! "Is there decent grocrey stores and do they sell Italian sausage"??!! "You goin to hicksville"?? I mean the most outrageous comments to try to discourage me to go. I was a homeowner so what i heard is "once you sell you cannot come back"!You would of thought i was moving to a third world country or something.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
Exactly. I haven't read any articles about NC and had no idea that NC was "the place to go" when we first started our research. Although it may appear from the forum that Californians are moving to NC by the truckload, that simply isn't true. We get looks of confusion when we say we are moving there, and comments that suggest we are moving to the moon. People leaving Cal are mostly moving to other states out west. And even though Californians are leaving, it's still a bizarre concept to most out here - "leave the promised land??" As our governor pointed out in his last State of the State address, California is still the "goal" for most Americans, which is why it's called the California dream and not the Kentucky dream. (Don't red dot me - he really did say that, not me!!)

So yeah, I'm not sure what's going on on the East Coast, but those moving to NC from out west are definitely not following a crowd.
Yes Connie, i agree comming from Calif. myself i did not follow a crowd rather than a gut feeling that i need to sell in Calif. and get out while i can and heavy heart missing my son that has been here for 4 years now. I honestly had no idea untill i got here just how much people are moving out here, mainly from L.I, Jersey etc. I do not blame them though at all. Same scene as Calif. with over inflated home prices couple with high taxes.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 AM

164 posts, read 353,309 times
When we talk to people about moving to Charlotte, I'm surprised by how many either (a) never heard of Charlotte or (b) have heard of Charlotte but had no idea it was a major city. Of course, I wasn't exactly knowledgeable on the subject myself until I started to research. But I've given up on explaining to fellow Californians that it's possible - just possible - that a better life can be had elsewhere.

Currently, my children are trying to learn a southern accent. We heard a lot of references to "guv'nor" and had to explain that they were speaking a British accent - wrong continent! We've since moved to an Australian accent, and now my kids speak like Jamaicans. (Mental "to do" list - must, must, must work on geography lessons for the kids!!)

Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
When we talk to people about moving to Charlotte, I'm surprised by how many either (a) never heard of Charlotte or (b) have heard of Charlotte but had no idea it was a major city. Of course, I wasn't exactly knowledgeable on the subject myself until I started to research. But I've given up on explaining to fellow Californians that it's possible - just possible - that a better life can be had elsewhere.

Currently, my children are trying to learn a southern accent. We heard a lot of references to "guv'nor" and had to explain that they were speaking a British accent - wrong continent! We've since moved to an Australian accent, and now my kids speak like Jamaicans. (Mental "to do" list - must, must, must work on geography lessons for the kids!!)
Give up the explaining- they just have to come visit to see for themselves. My mother came this summer, shortly after we moved here. She was so surprised at what all there was here, what it had to offer and such nice, friendly people. I kid you not, by the end of the week she was looking for Condo's to purchase on the Lake for a place to have so she can spend more time here!!! She did not buy one( she is trying to convince my father who has yet to see it all) but she reall liked it.She finally gets it

Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Quote:

I think it's one of those " if the shoe fits wear it.. if it doesn't, toss it" kinda things. I don't read Forbes or Money Magazine, don't feel a need to defend our decision to move and until I stumbled across this forum, ( after the move) had no idea that so many people were moving to N.C.

On the other hand, I've seen people in the forum write things like "I'm interested in moving to ( name a city) because I read about it in Money Magazine, Best Places or Find your Spot." Heck, my own mother who no longer lives in N.C. and hasn't for years watched a recent T.V. program and raved on and on about Cary when I talked to her last week. My best friend in Chapel Hill who has been running back and forth to FL to care for her Mom says that she can't pick up a FL newspaper or magazine that isn't touting N.C. as *The* place to move.

So, yes, there is media, magazine and Internet influence. I don't see why anyone who wasn't influenced by / didn't make their decision to move to N.C based upon that is upset or defensive when it's brought up.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-12-2006 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-12-2006, 05:19 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Find your spot suggested Cary and Long Island for me, as well as some midwestern cities! It seemed so...random! It listed some places, like Manchester, NH, which are nice to visit but never quite felt like a place I would want to live.
Of course, my husband's carer dictated our choice so none of the other stuff mattered in regard to about 5 of the cities Find your spot recommended!

Old 10-12-2006, 05:33 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Find your spot suggested Cary and Long Island for me, as well as some midwestern cities! It seemed so...random! It listed some places, like Manchester, NH, which are nice to visit but never quite felt like a place I would want to live. Of course, my husband's carer dictated our choice so none of the other stuff mattered in regard to about 5 of the cities Find your spot recommended!
LOL! Much as I enjoy your posts I hope you're being facetious about "Find Your Spot." Someone posted about it in this forum in regard to Edenton which they were convinced was their dream place to live because of "Find Your Spot." So I took a look at it, saw that it had a test they wanted people to take, along with giving them your e-mail address. I wasn't up for the spam mail that was sure to follow.

If I've misunderstood you and you were being funny, I agree that "Find Your Spot" is a joke. S'okay---- my husband never *gets* my sense of humor either- says its too dry- and that's after 13 years of marriage. On the other hand, I totally *get* his. He makes me laugh so hard-- even at myself. That's a good thing ---- as Martha would say.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-12-2006 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-12-2006, 06:34 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
LOL! Much as I enjoy your posts I hope you're being facetious about "Find Your Spot." Someone posted about it in this forum in regard to Edenton which they were convinced was their dream place to live because of "Find Your Spot." So I took a look at it, saw that it had a test they wanted people to take, along with giving them your e-mail address. I wasn't up for the spam mail that was sure to follow.

If I've misunderstood you and you were being funny, I agree that "Find Your Spot" is a joke. S'okay---- my husband never *gets* my sense of humor either- says its too dry- and that's after 13 years of marriage. On the other hand, I totally *get* his. He makes me laugh so hard-- even at myself. That's a good thing ---- as Martha would say.

Regards,

Cassie

Well I have a dry sense of humor too and do enjoy your posts!
I was being very serious about find your spot. There are intangibles it just does not take into account! I took the test after my husband moved to Cary for the job & we knew we were coming down here! I did it on a lark homing for some sort of reassurance. Yet when we had been here before and we had just driven around, I remember our 1st drive was Chapel Hill, then up by Duke Forest & over on 98 to Wake Forest, and something about Wake Forest reminded me of the town on the north shore of Long Island that I am from. You see, that test lumped all of Long Island together which is a huge mistake, like lumping Durham & Zebulon together! (oh, yeah, the relo magazines sort of do that don't they!)

The test doesn't ask if you are a tree person or an open field person, a lake or ocean person, a mall or village person... Those are really important distinctions for me.

I can't totally diss the test, because I ddi have a nice life on Long Island, for the most part. Also, I have really liked the people I have met from Cary, so if there had been no choice & we'd have to have gone there to live it would have been ok, I believe. But, driving through it is jsut too much like the parts of Long Island I was tired of & Wake Forest is like the parts I liked, so that is why we are here.

I guess I should add that... my husband concurred!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:42 PM

72 posts, read 271,099 times
Quote:
What a great post! I too applaud those who relay stories of success or failure, especially those who admit a mistake. This post struck a chord with me because I tend to over-research things. It's the way my family does things and I'm learning that this "analysis paralysis" doesn't leave much room for taking a chance. It also leads to a ridiculous level of fear of making a mistake. But it's hard to articulate this here, when so many people are warning about making a move without adequate research (and rightfully so, in some instances).

I think 80% certainty, based upon research, is a fair goal and I like that rule of thumb. Thanks for sharing it!
No problem. It's helped me a lot with my business. When you go into a "pitch" meeting with the attitude that if you don't sell to this potential client, you won't be able to put food on the table and the world will end you get so worked up you almost ruin the sale for yourself. If you are adequately prepared, and ready to deal with most of the potential outcomes, you can almost eliminate fear entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina