Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
The car may be award winning, but you have to have an Academy Award to own one. Very few in NC will be able to afford them nor will they be able to drive very far. Regarding the existing dealership laws, if you think dealing with a car dealership is bad, dealing irectly with the manufacturer would be worse with the "traditional" automakers. Can you imagine having to ship your car to Detroit, Tennessee or Alabama for a warranty repair?
Really? Then who buys all these Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc I see around the Triangle. I believe they even have an Aston Martin dealership in Greenboro? There is certainly a market for high end cars in North Carolina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Really? Then who buys all these Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc I see around the Triangle. I believe they even have an Aston Martin dealership in Greenboro? There is certainly a market for high end cars in North Carolina!
Exactly. I think I've seen more Teslas tooling around the Triangle's roads (2) than I've seen Maserati's (0).

Meanwhile...Tesla service center in Raleigh portends NC showroom | Technology | NewsObserver.com

For those who don't read, a showroom for Tesla isn't a dealership, but is usually placed in a shopping mall to entice potential customers to purchase online.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Exactly. I think I've seen more Teslas tooling around the Triangle's roads (2) than I've seen Maserati's (0).

Meanwhile...Tesla service center in Raleigh portends NC showroom | Technology | NewsObserver.com

For those who don't read, a showroom for Tesla isn't a dealership, but is usually placed in a shopping mall to entice potential customers to purchase online.
I hope they open a kiosk and sell cars for order there. Just like Dell did with computers. LOL.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Whatever it IS, it LOOKS like a GOP-declared war on anything that might be considered "sustainable". They are making it costly and unduly burdensome (if not downright illegal) to be green minded. It's a losing strategy.
Actually, many of the "green minded" technologies are already costly and burdensome for the average consumer. GOP help is not required. The government wants the tax money generated by dealerships. I doubt the law would have been changed during Purdue's administration either.

Quote:
Yes, but high-performance gasoline cars kill the earth so only electrics and hybrids are acceptable. EVERYONE MUST GET ONE OR WE WILL ALL DIE FROM GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!

Quote:
This has to be even more hilarious than your views on hybrids and taxes.

If so very few can afford them, why'd the auto lobby care?
I was making the point that when government loses gas tax revenue they will find a way to compensate. The auto lobby cares because they don't want to give up the traditional dealership model regardless of how expensive the Teslas are.

Quote:
Hmm, there's these buildings full of OEM parts and people specifically trained to fix certain brands of cars, covered under warranty. Do they magically disappear in this dystopian nightmare scenario you're describing? Or will it be some sort of Trail of Tears forced migration where they're all rounded up and herded to Detroit, TN, AL, Windsor, Mexico, etc.?
If Tesla's sales model is allowed the normal dealerships and their service departments go away. So now you have to get your factory parts directly from the manufacturer for added cost, and have to use a "factory certified" mechanic or facility for the work which screws the local shops. Using non-factory OEM parts will be an excuse for them to void your warranty or not pay for the repair which hits the local shops again. Since the manufacturers aren't going to pay for a network of service centers and won't provide anything to the local shops you'll end up having to sending your car back to the factory for the work. Oh, and there will be a fee for that too.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM

If you are delirious enough to think that lessening our dependance on fossil fuels is a bad idea, I see no point in attempting to have a rational discussion with you.

Many manufacturers, particularly of larger items (think refrigerators) don't ask you to mail them back if they are broken. You can call a factory-authorized service technician. Cars sold direct would be no different.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
If Tesla's sales model is allowed the normal dealerships and their service departments go away.

I haven't taken my vehicles to a dealership for maintenance/repairs in years. The demand will be there for repair services, so there will be places that offer them. Who cares that the dealer won't be there to gouge you?

So now you have to get your factory parts directly from the manufacturer for added cost, and have to use a "factory certified" mechanic or facility for the work which screws the local shops.

So you're saying by cutting out the middle man and buying directly from the manufacturer, the cost will be greater? And local (non-dealer) shops are full of certified mechanics, so I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

Using non-factory OEM parts will be an excuse for them to void your warranty or not pay for the repair which hits the local shops again. Since the manufacturers aren't going to pay for a network of service centers and won't provide anything to the local shops you'll end up having to sending your car back to the factory for the work. Oh, and there will be a fee for that too.

Nope--there would be every reason in the world for the manufacturers to work with local non-dealer repair shops to make it easy for their customers to get needed services. It saves them money because they don't have to fund/subsidize dealers, and their customers are happy because they get services at a reasonable cost. Win-win.
Sorry, but I don't feel much sympathy for dealer repair shops.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Sorry, but I don't feel much sympathy for dealer repair shops.
I don't feel much sympathy for dealer repair shops... Or dealerships. It's a stupid game. Just pick a price. Call that the price. Run advertised sales if you want. No bull like "this guy got his for less, you paid more" crap.

I can see haggling for trade-ins, because there are more variables, but a new car should have one price, based on flat rate plus options. And this price should be easy to locate and research. Not "secret."

Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you are delirious enough to think that lessening our dependance on fossil fuels is a bad idea, I see no point in attempting to have a rational discussion with you.
I fully support lessening our fossil fuel dependence provided the technology to do so is affordable. We aren't there yet.

Quote:
Many manufacturers, particularly of larger items (think refrigerators) don't ask you to mail them back if they are broken. You can call a factory-authorized service technician. Cars sold direct would be no different.
Where would these technicians be if the dealerships are gone and local shops aren't getting manufacturer support? You think they are going to come to your house and fix your vehicle?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I fully support lessening our fossil fuel dependence provided the technology to do so is affordable. We aren't there yet.

Where would these technicians be if the dealerships are gone and local shops aren't getting manufacturer support? You think they are going to come to your house and fix your vehicle?
I have a plug-in hybrid. We have two, actually. Shall we penalize people who adopt this tech early? How will it ever become more affordable if people are hit with even more costs? That's just stupid.

Manufacturers will authorize local auto shops. Works in other industries.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
Sorry - that makes too much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina