Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:43 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times

Advertisements

Is the state protecting the rich by not allowing them to buy a car direct from the manufacturer?

Law would stop Tesla electric car sales in NC | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Or is it because the YMCA and youth baseball will suffer.

The senator that introduced this is also a supporter of The Opossum Right to Work act, is a co-sponsor of the bill to steal Charlotte's airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
What it tells us is that dealers see the vehicles they sell as inferior. If they had the best product we wouldn't hear a word out of them. They can't compete and they have enough money to buy NC's political process to thwart the free enterprise system.

Thee dealer association stated, "the whole point of the retail system is to protect the consumer"
I can't believe that a representative of the Dealers says this with a straight face. These are the people who won't give you a real price on their products, sell consumers unneeded add-lines like ultra-expensive life insurance and whose repair facilities charge substantially more than those of independent shops.

If there's any evidence that the current system is harming consumers, it's in the palatial showrooms that the dealers are building for themselves -- the money to build those showrooms comes because the state franchising laws restrict competition.

If passed this legislation could be deemed unconstitutional based on the Dormant Commerce Clause. States engaging in blatant economic protectionism against out-of-state business is frowned upon by the law. Either way, further proof that government is for sale in Raleigh these days.

So buy it in another state and have THEM enjoy the sale tax revenue and commission!!!

I thought these guys were supposed to be "free-market" kind of guys....this exposes them for what they really are....big business corporate lackeys......they say we educators can "use a little competition"....guess that doesn't work SOME businesses.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Yet another instance of big business exerting a stronger influence over state legislation than its own citizens.

This is a move that protects the dealer franchise model of car-slinging, not a move that protects consumers... no matter how the lobby tries to dress it up.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:03 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What it tells us is that dealers see the vehicles they sell as inferior. If they had the best product we wouldn't hear a word out of them. They can't compete and they have enough money to buy NC's political process to thwart the free enterprise system.
It's not so much inferior product (though in the case of the Big 3 that's definitely true) but that their jobs are rendered unnecessary if buyers can purchase a car directly without the middle man. Dealers rely on information asymmetry for their competitive advantage, the internet has largely taken that away, so they've resorted to legal means like franchise laws to keep their advantages in place. Remove that, and they'll be out of business, since the free market has determined they're no longer needed.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Nothing says small government like outlawing a legitimate business model out of the state.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Thee dealer association stated, "the whole point of the retail system is to protect the consumer"
I can't believe that a representative of the Dealers says this with a straight face.
They've had a lot of practice. What I have learned over the years is that if you want the truth without any bias, your car dealer is the place to go. Sometimes, I ask for sage advise on things not related to cars. Should I get married? Should I have kids? I find the car dealerships are so wise and honest that I drop by often and make major life decisions based on their answers.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Nothing says small government like outlawing a legitimate business model out of the state.
Small government for me not for thee.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
This is a result of dealer lobbying; new car brokers, which bypass dealers also, are illegal in this state too.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
Default What's our legislature smoking?

North Carolina Tesla ban? Bill would prevent "unfair competition" with car dealerships.

Do we even have a Tesla showroom in the Triangle?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Not even in the entire state of NC. Tesla Stores and Service Centers

It's not what the legislature is smoking. It's who is paying for their re-election campaigns. In this case, the NC Automobile Dealers Association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina