Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,322 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My fiance and I are looking to relocate by years end from the North, and have been eying NC. Work is not an issue for me as I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to work anywhere, but my fiance is a tattoo artist. Where we live now he has a thriving and growing customer base as he is extremely talented, but I am really looking to understand what the body art industry is like in North Carolina. Is it a thriving industry?? Is there a need for talent in the area?? Any information would be helpful.

We are generally looking at the RTP area (I have heard that the Apex, Holly Springs etc areas are nice), in addition we are possibly also looking at Greenville or Wilmington. I know these areas are spread out from each other, but we want to be well informed before making a decision.

I have read a whole lot of information on NC, both good and bad, but I cant seem to find out a whole lot of information about the tattoo industry, which is the main reason for my post. Generally we are looking for a nice, safe area where there is a need for talent in the body art industry.

Any other information about the areas I mentioned would be welcomed. If there are other areas in NC that may be hidden gems or up and coming areas for a kid free couple in their early 30's that anyone can shed some light on that would be great as well. We are people that love the outdoors and want to be in an area that is extremely friendly, easy to get around, and has things to do (golfing, boating, bike trails, nice diversity of bars/restaurants), not overly congested or expensive and generally close to a job for my fiance.

Any and all comments are most welcome! Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bttrflyluv View Post
I have read a whole lot of information on NC, both good and bad, but I cant seem to find out a whole lot of information about the tattoo industry, which is the main reason for my post. Generally we are looking for a nice, safe area where there is a need for talent in the body art industry.
I can tell you that the tattoo business seems to be thriving on the coast, especially near the Marine base at Camp Lejeune. There are shops all over, and every other guy and gal have tattoos.

Jacksonville is fairly safe, and the coastal towns from Emerald Isle to Surf City can be interesting places to live. I can't say whether the area is over-crowded or not.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:31 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,987,599 times
The area around Fort Bragg has dozens of tattoo shops. 50,000 soldiers seem to be a pretty good customer base. It's a military town like Jacksonville but there is plenty to do if you know where to look. If you use a little common sense you won't have any trouble finding a safe place to live in the area.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Quote:
Hello All,
My fiance and I are looking to relocate by years end from the North, and have been eying NC. Work is not an issue for me as I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to work anywhere, but my fiance is a tattoo artist. Where we live now he has a thriving and growing customer base as he is extremely talented, but I am really looking to understand what the body art industry is like in North Carolina. Is it a thriving industry?? Is there a need for talent in the area?? Any information would be helpful.

We are generally looking at the RTP area (I have heard that the Apex, Holly Springs etc areas are nice), in addition we are possibly also looking at Greenville or Wilmington. I know these areas are spread out from each other, but we want to be well informed before making a decision.

Any other information about the areas I mentioned would be welcomed. If there are other areas in NC that may be hidden gems or up and coming areas for a kid free couple in their early 30's that anyone can shed some light on that would be great as well. We are people that love the outdoors and want to be in an area that is extremely friendly, easy to get around, and has things to do (golfing, boating, bike trails, nice diversity of bars/restaurants), not overly congested or expensive and generally close to a job for my fiance.

Any and all comments are most welcome! Thanks for your time!

Light side tattoo in Mooresville is looking for an artist right now...

Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 AM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
I am really looking to understand what the body art industry is like in North Carolina.
I am completely baffled that it might be considered an industry.

It's the most obnoxious FAD to have come along in a hundred years.
The sooner it crawls back under it's rock the better.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Tattooing has been around longer than 100 years. This alone prevents it from being a "fad."

There are certainly trends, though. Like the 1990s "tribal" tattoo trend, for example.

That said, the Triangle area has plenty of tattoo/body mod shops, too.

I suspect the style of tattoos one prefers to do might influence where one chooses to live.

Tattooing near a military base has got to be a bit different than tattooing near a cluster of universities.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Agree completely. If somebody really wants to get rich in the tattoo industry I think the next big thing will be tattoo removal clinics.

Once people reach 25 and the brain starts to function at full capacity common sense will send them to the Tattoo Doctor.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Tattooing has been around longer than 100 years. This alone prevents it from being a "fad."
It's existed for centuries. So what?
Outside of military lifers, it's a fad perpetrating a fraud by promoting itself as art.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,322 times
I appreciate everyone's imput, however MrRational & anyone else who had anything negative to post regarding tattoos, I didn't ask for your opinion on body art or if you think its a fad etc. I could really care less what your stance is on what you consider to be art or not, and your rude comments are less then appreciated. Whether you want to believe it or not, it IS an industry and its quite a lucrative one, and there are artists out there who are extremely talented and who give two ****s about what is being permanently put on their clients bodies. And it is art. If you had half a clue of what goes into creating a great, one of a kind, custom tattoo, and what makes a great tattoo artist I don't think you would have the same view point, but whatever, to each their own. Perhaps you had a bad experience or maybe you just don't like tattoos-and that's completely fine, either way, if you don't have any useful advise pertaining to my original question, your comments are not needed here. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I would think Wilmington or the Triangle would be a good bet for you. There are several very well-regarded tattoo shops in the Triangle. I don't have any ink, but I have heard good things about Dog Star and Blue Flame if you want to look them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina