Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,482,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was talking with a friend the other day about the private school vouchers proposal and the idea came up that if private schools are going to use taxpayer money in vouchers that they then should be subject to the EOGs and other state standards like the new cursive writing legislation. What's your take on that? If they take taxpayer/state money are they obligated to do EOGs, etc?
I personally think the EOG's are part of the reason our system is not working. I think testing should be skills based, not fact based. Skills allow students to become independent learners. Forcing arbitrary facts down their throats poisons them against learning, IMO. Obligating private schools to take EOG's would be basically turning private schools into public schools which gets us back where we started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Probably time to pull all funding from the UNC system if tax-supported education is going to have to narrow its scope.
Then we get into public scholarship funding for all colleges and universities.

Well. We sure can cut taxes now to support the liberal agenda!

I love it when an initiative crosses party lines and embraces all perspectives!!!!

So not discriminating against gays defines "liberal agenda" for you? Interesting.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-14-2013 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM

43,362 posts, read 77,251,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You usually are so logical. What happened here?

So not discriminating against gays defines "liberal agenda" for you? Interesting.
Your abhorrence of religion is interesting.
Home is more pertinent to my post. That is tax dollars supporting religious studies.

I didn't mention gays at all. I don't respect or trade in hate.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,482,884 times
Quote:
Your abhorrence of religion is interesting.
Home is more pertinent to my post. That is tax dollars supporting religious studies.

I didn't mention gays at all. I don't respect or trade in hate.
Mike, I think you have to spell things out for many people.

Mike is saying (I think) that UNC is supported by government funds but they have a religious studies department. So according to your standards, lovesbrentwood, we should abolish that department or pull the funding. Yes, Mike?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Mike, I think you have to spell things out for many people.

Mike is saying (I think) that UNC is supported by government funds but they have a religious studies department. So according to your standards, lovesbrentwood, we should abolish that department or pull the funding. Yes, Mike?

Yes....

Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM

910 posts, read 1,320,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was talking with a friend the other day about the private school vouchers proposal and the idea came up that if private schools are going to use taxpayer money in vouchers that they then should be subject to the EOGs and other state standards like the new cursive writing legislation. What's your take on that? If they take taxpayer/state money are they obligated to do EOGs, etc?
They definitely should be required to have open enrollment like public schools as a condition of accepting taxpayer funds like private schools in other countries do, though it'll cost even more to adequately enforce.

Quote:
You're a little confused there, friend. That's a cultural studies department, not proselytization or a divinity school.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,024 times
Quote:
You're a little confused there, friend. That's a cultural studies department, not proselytization or a divinity school.
Exactly. Huge difference. Sometimes you have to spell things out for people.

I do not "abhor" religion. I "abhor" people shoving their beliefs down my throat.

I would love to see a required course in all public high schools: "Religions of the World." It's important to understand what people believe.

But I think it would be nearly impossible to find teachers who would teach it and not preach it -- because as we see in this example, people do not understand the difference.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM

910 posts, read 1,320,455 times
Quote:
I would love to see a required course in all public high schools: "Religions of the World." It's important to understand what people believe.

But I think it would be nearly impossible to find teachers who would teach it and not preach it -- because as we see in this example, people do not understand the difference.
Well that plus comparative academic studies of religion tend to have a diminishing effect on individual zealotry.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
They definitely should be required to have open enrollment like public schools as a condition of accepting taxpayer funds like private schools in other countries do, though it'll cost even more to adequately enforce.

I am not a bit confused.
The topic was study of religion.

Do the public universities present religion only from a detached view, although NCSU says that their curriculum supports a career in the ministry?

And state and federal financial support goes to students who pursue divinity and theological studies at public and private colleges.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Huge difference. Sometimes you have to spell things out for people.

I do not "abhor" religion. I "abhor" people shoving their beliefs down my throat.

Using public schools and my tax money to indoctrinate kids how you think they should be programmed, or allowing a choice of how their parents think they should be educated is not a threat to you in any way.

You would NOT have anyone's beliefs shoved down your throat anymore than you do now if my neighbors took a quarter of the $8000 cost of their kid going to public school and put it towards private school tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina