Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,238,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What about charter schools? They don't put the money in the hands of non-government but they do fracture the population out of mainstream schools.
I think charter schools have lots of issues as well, but I would rather have more of them than any tax money going to religious schools. I think the focus should be on improving public school for all children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I think the focus should be on improving public school for all children.
Right, and what if the structure of the public schools makes that impossible? What if privatization is our best hope for an effective educational system? Government seems to have a habit of cutting off their nose despite their face.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM

257 posts, read 295,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
"Protesters have also rallied against the expansion of school vouchers,"

Isn't that providing more equality than the poor having school choice limited to public schools?
If the real goal is to provide better education, why not abolish the inadequate "public" schools and make all schools function the way the private schools do?
My understanding is public schools get funding based on how many students attend. If you take students out, it will just mean less funding, less quality in the public schools and they will be even worse.
I say create a standard that all schools must function academically the same, using the private school standards, and leave the kids where they are instead of busing them or .... however they are going to get them to the private schools.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM

257 posts, read 295,681 times
Quote:
... I think the focus should be on improving public school for all children.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
Quote:
I think the problem with some of the reasoning expressed here is that you assume the religious components and the educational components are separate in a religious affiliated school. In my experience, that is simply not the case. The religious approach of the particular school is the base for all the subjects. I speak from personal experience as someone who graduated from a Christian school. The only subject that was pretty much devoid of religion was math. Absolutely every other subject was infused with the religious teachings. Science, history....even the books we read in literature.

I'm against school vouchers. They are just a thinly disguised attempt to dismantle our education system and put tax dollars in the hands of religious institutions,
Very true on both points.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
This comment from siameseifupls...

Quote:
This is taking on a mean-spirited tone. Unusual for you, lovebrentwood.

Made me think of this...

Mad as Hell clip - YouTube

Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,238,470 times
Quote:
Right, and what if the structure of the public schools makes that impossible? What if privatization is our best hope for an effective educational system? Government seems to have a habit of cutting off their nose despite their face.
All private schools are not better than public schools. There are lots of sub par private schools. Many of the religious based schools in particular are more focused on promoting their religious agenda than providing a well rounded education. Also, private schools can't fairly be compared to public schools because private schools can choose their students. Public schools have to educate everyone, including the kids with severe disabilities and behavioral issues. Most private schools aren't equipped to take that on.

Also, it's cut off your nose, to spite your face.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
I think charter schools have lots of issues as well, but I would rather have more of them than any tax money going to religious schools. I think the focus should be on improving public school for all children.
I would rephrase that to say:

"I think the focus should be on improving public school for all attendees."

Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,801 times
Quote:
All private schools are not better than public schools. There are lots of sub par private schools. Many of the religious based schools in particular are more focused on promoting their religious agenda than providing a well rounded education. Also, private schools can't fairly be compared to public schools because private schools can choose their students. Public schools have to educate everyone, including the kids with severe disabilities and behavioral issues. Most private schools aren't equipped to take that on.

Also, it's cut off your nose, to spite your face.
1) No, not individually, but statistically speaking, yes they are.

2) True, but private schools tend to cater to a particular need, so not only are there religious private schools, but there are also private schools who cater to learning disabilities, physical handicaps, learning styles, etc. I can't tell you how many people I know with kids who have autism who have tried desperately to find the help they need in the public schools, but their children have been bullied and dominated not only by the students but also by some teachers! Homeschooling is a popular option for autistic kids. PS is simply not meeting that need. Actually, I know quite a few parents who have been told the public school can't meet their child's needs so they should home school. You should watch the documentary "Waiting for Superman." It's enlightening.

3) I really hate it when people publicly correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. It's always done by people who disagree with the poster and are pointing out what actually is often a typo just to try and discredit the person's arguments as rational because obviously they can't even use proper English. I DID know that this saying is "to spite" rather than "despite." However, sometimes those little things we hung onto from childhood pop back up when you are typing quickly. My mom is from New York. Until I was in my 20's I thought Berber carpet was pronounced "Berbuh." Sometimes I still make that mistake, too. I was always taught that it is inappropriate to teach or correct someone who is not your child, student or employee. And really, unless you have some kind of relationship with someone, pointing out their flaws will usually make you an enemy rather than a friend.

**Sheesh. I just had to go back and re-read my post *just in case* and I had accidentally used "their" instead of "there." But I fixed it. :-) No worries.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
1) No, not individually, but statistically speaking, yes they are.

2) True, but private schools tend to cater to a particular need, so not only are there religious private schools, but there are also private schools who cater to learning disabilities, physical handicaps, learning styles, etc. I can't tell you how many people I know with kids who have autism who have tried desperately to find the help they need in the public schools, but their children have been bullied and dominated not only by the students but also by some teachers! Homeschooling is a popular option for autistic kids. PS is simply not meeting that need. Actually, I know quite a few parents who have been told the public school can't meet their child's needs so they should home school. You should watch the documentary "Waiting for Superman." It's enlightening.

3) I really hate it when people publicly correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. It's always done by people who disagree with the poster and are pointing out what actually is often a typo just to try and discredit the person's arguments as rational because obviously they can't even use proper English. I DID know that this saying is "to spite" rather than "despite." However, sometimes those little things we hung onto from childhood pop back up when you are typing quickly. My mom is from New York. Until I was in my 20's I thought Berber carpet was pronounced "Berbuh." Sometimes I still make that mistake, too. I was always taught that it is inappropriate to teach or correct someone who is not your child, student or employee. And really, unless you have some kind of relationship with someone, pointing out their flaws will usually make you an enemy rather than a friend.

**Sheesh. I just had to go back and re-read my post *just in case* and I had accidentally used "their" instead of "there." But I fixed it. :-) No worries.
It seems that many private schools do a better job of teaching manners. Speaking anecdotally, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina