Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 AM

6,301 posts, read 16,146,063 times

Advertisements

As of 6/23/2013:

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Direct link to story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/12/us...litics.html?hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,499,398 times
"Protesters have also rallied against the expansion of school vouchers,"

School vouchers are legal in NC? I didn't know we had them at all, let alone were trying to expand the use of them. I just saw this: NC bill advances to help parents pay for private schools | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Why would Democrats protest a system to allow low income families to go to private schools? I thought they wanted equality? Isn't that providing more equality than the poor having school choice limited to public schools? I don't get it. But then again, I'm with Republicans on half the issues and Democrats on the other half. Nothing makes any sense to me...it's all a crap shoot.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 AM

43,557 posts, read 77,670,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post

School vouchers are legal in NC? I didn't know we had them at all, let alone were trying to expand the use of them. I just saw this: NC bill advances to help parents pay for private schools | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Why would Democrats protest a system to allow low income families to go to private schools? I thought they wanted equality? Isn't that providing more equality than the poor having school choice limited to public schools? I don't get it. But then again, I'm with Republicans on half the issues and Democrats on the other half. Nothing makes any sense to me...it's all a crap shoot.

50/50 on the party lines? I can empathize.

It is a tough world for a reasonable deliberative moderate/Libertarian when the strident voices of the left and right screech self-righteously about the divine truth their standard bearers exclusively uphold in their zeal to enforce the selective reductions of others' liberties which they do not respect.

Whew! That was fun!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-12-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,440,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
50/50 on the party lines? I can empathize.

It is a tough world for a reasonable deliberative moderate/Libertarian when the strident voices of the left and right screech self-righteously about the divine truth their standard bearers exclusively uphold in their zeal to enforce the selective reductions of others' liberties they do not respect.

Whew! That was fun!
That's basically where I stand.

A hard shift to the right is unappealing. So is a hard shift to the left, though.

I don't disagree with these protests. Our legislature is horribly unbalanced at the moment.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 16,146,063 times
Quote:

Because the bottom line goal of these Republicans is to turn the country into a CHRISTIAN nation, and this is one way to use PUBLIC FUNDS to fund CHRISTIAN schools. Most "private" schools they're talking about are CHRISTIAN.

They want everyone to think and act ONE WAY...sort of like the Taliban.

There is no such thing as "equality" in the Republican platform.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Because the bottom line goal of these Republicans is to turn the country into a CHRISTIAN nation, and this is one way to use PUBLIC FUNDS to fund CHRISTIAN schools. Most "private" schools they're talking about are CHRISTIAN.
So who cares if there are Christian private schools that can have tuition paid for through vouchers. There are also Jewish, Muslim and Non-Sectarian schools. The whole point is the citizen gets the CHOICE which school they want to go to. So poor people HAVE to go to non-religious public schools. What if they want their kids to go to a religious school? Too bad, that choice doesn't exist for them.

This is the kind of thing I don't get. This is very inconsistent reasoning. Either you want freedom of choice or you don't. You can't say they should only get to choose things that you agree with.

Being Jewish myself, there are certainly times when Christian beliefs contradict my own, but I have a strong belief in freedom and autonomy of mankind.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM

43,557 posts, read 77,670,861 times
Quote:
So who cares if there are Christian private schools that can have tuition paid for through vouchers. There are also Jewish, Muslim and Non-Sectarian schools. The whole point is the citizen gets the CHOICE which school they want to go to. So poor people HAVE to go to non-religious public schools. What if they want their kids to go to a religious school? Too bad, that choice doesn't exist for them.

This is the kind of thing I don't get. ... I have a strong belief in freedom and autonomy of mankind.
Ahhhh. There is the source of your discontent. You are outside the mainstream too far to relate to either party.
It's like a bridge player trying to relate to two football teams to pick one to root for based on trump.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,440,074 times
Quote:

This is the kind of thing I don't get. This is very inconsistent reasoning. Either you want freedom of choice or you don't. You can't say they should only get to choose things that you agree with.

Being Jewish myself, there are certainly times when Christian beliefs contradict my own, but I have a strong belief in freedom and autonomy of mankind.
I agree with what you're saying here.

I do not, however, think that school vouchers should be used to send kids to private, religious schools.

Of any kind.

It is de facto funding of a religious organization.

This applies to private schools that are affiliated with a specific church, synagogue, etc.

Ones that are unaffliliated are fine. It's not that I think a private school should not have a religious slant.

I attended Meredith College. It is, by its own description, a Baptist women's college.

It is not, however, run by a particular church. Churches themselves should not be funded in any way by state funds.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ahhhh. There is the source of your discontent. You are outside the mainstream too far to relate to either party.
It's like a bridge player trying to relate to two football teams to pick one to root for based on trump.
Well, I do believe in freedom, but I also think that freedom should not extend to the point that individuals or corporations are allowed to damage shared resources. I'm definitely an environmentalist. I don't like that we have cancer pockets in the US from the poor air quality of refineries and that sort of thing. I don't like that foods are filled with all kinds of toxins and the average consumer doesn't realize it is dangerous. I don't know how to allow both autonomy and a healthy/safe environment. But there has to be some kind of middle ground where the US can both thrive and live within some kind of self-imposed limitations to the benefit of all. Being part of a community is necessarily making sacrifices for others within the community.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I agree with what you're saying here.

I do not, however, think that school vouchers should be used to send kids to private, religious schools.

Of any kind.

It is de facto funding of a religious organization.

This applies to private schools that are affiliated with a specific church, synagogue, etc.

Ones that are unaffliliated are fine. It's not that I think a private school should not have a religious slant.

I attended Meredith College. It is, by its own description, a Baptist women's college.

It is not, however, run by a particular church. Churches themselves should not be funded in any way by state funds.
I totally agree that churches or other religious organizations should not be funded by public money. But I don't think that is the same thing as using government funds to support an institution whose PRIMARY objective is academic education, even if that organization has a statement of faith. If that school is actually affiliated with and supported by a religious organization, that is a different matter.

But I'm also okay with agreeing to disagree. :-) We all have our own beliefs and that's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina