Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,746,543 times

Advertisements

Jobs are not going to beat on ones, folks have to hustle and get off their tale. Boomers are guilty of this. Their children have been spoon fed even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,719,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Exactly. There are jobs but people rather be on assistance then have those "jobs". That's what bothers me.

You're correct BUT that's a whole other story. The world has been "re-set" and there is going to be a whole lot of "re-setting" that people must get used to. Very difficult, but absolutely no way around it that I can think off.

Think: "upper management" in a service industry like fast food not a bank. "American dream" of your own house IF you win the lottery. "Save for your kids college"....ok but what will I eat tonite.
"Hey, I can't use a hammer" better learn quick Mr. soft hands.

It ain't going to be pretty.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,249,821 times
People need to stop thinking they can just get a job where they are. If theres no jobs, find a job SOMEWHERE. If you have to move, tough. Its your choice. Live where you want to and starve, or put on your big boy pants and move to an area of the country that is hiring.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,580,027 times
I know of three people that miraculously found jobs within a week or two of their unemployment running out!

I think it is past time to get rid of the extension.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,812,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
People need to stop thinking they can just get a job where they are. If theres no jobs, find a job SOMEWHERE. If you have to move, tough. Its your choice. Live where you want to and starve, or put on your big boy pants and move to an area of the country that is hiring.
Easier said than done for some people....Its not that simple.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,919,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I remember when UE benefits lasted six week. I also remember the first time they extended them to 12 weeks. I was out of work at the time, so that is why I remember. When that was over, tough noogies - I was on my own. If that meant moving in with family or friends or accepting a job making minimum wage as a housekeeper in a motel, oh well. No one gave a big fat rat's ass.

Folks have gotten benefits so long this time, they could have prepared themselves for a whole new field of employment by now. Or opened a business. Or found a job in another state.

Y'all know what I am saying is the truth.
Was your experience before massive corporate mergers, globalization and the massive disappearance of American jobs oversees, hollowing out blue-collar and increasingly professional positions? You know, back when there actually were plenty of jobs?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Easier said than done for some people....Its not that simple.
Who said anything about it being easy or simple? Its a matter of being able to make a living. Sometimes you have to make difficult choices in order to get a decent paying job. Or stay where you are and starve.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM

Ok..let me give you a scenario. I know someone right now that has lost her home, she just lost her car a month ago because she has not been able to secure a decent paying job. Now tell me how is she gonna just up and relocate. No vehicle for transportation and her credit is all "shot to h#ll" from having a foreclosure.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 PM

How is she going to get a job where she is right now?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM

All I know is that the majority of workers who lose their benefits will have to lower their job sights.....But then you will more people joining the ranks of the underemployed. And thats really sad...Its a waste of human potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina