Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM

43,509 posts, read 77,518,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Mike - I don't see any "alternate wisdom" in your many argumentative mini threads within this thread. You seem hell bent on mocking others for faux outrage - I don't believe anyone you're arguing with here even hinted at being "outraged". I'm certainly not outraged and losing sleep over this - but I do feel these "politicians" should be taken to task for terrible governing. It's BAU as far as I can tell for this political machine and one hopes it will all be remembered come election time. I will.

You're also way out on this "script" and "government as a deity"... which frankly reminds me of a Mel Gibson-esque conspiracy type film - I mean whoa dude.

It's our right to call these people out - middle school names even... and that's protected. I don't expect that what I write here will change anything - yet you seem tied to words on an anonymous forum as important. No idea why.
So, it is toe the line and preach the correct gospel, chapter and verse, or not welcome? Are you a Republican?
I understood that a hundred or more posts ago. One only has to read the thread. I know that people who buy into a political screed don't like challenges or discourse that may recognize that others may have legitimate concerns. I don't consider it a huge flaw to note those concerns. They sure show up at the ballot box.

I am not out of line on scripts. Too many people can only repeat what they are told, without attempt at rational thought or consideration of merit of other views, or sometimes rights to other views.
And, "government as a deity" was affirmatively recognized by another poster, who said that everyone who respects separation of church and state would feel demonized, by a tangential reference that some folks engage in government worship. How would one feel demonized unless they accept the mention as undue but not baseless criticism?
And when that error was pointed out, he only attacked, but did not even deny the point. I actually thought he made the post in error, after reading too quickly, but it appears that it represents his thoughts.

At least you corrected your error, although you blamed me for you making it. That was odd, but I get it.

Of course you have the constitutional right to name call from the comfort of anonymity. Does that add to your credibility? I think the choir you preach to will spout a hearty "Amen!" and the one you don't care about won't accept your point. And, that 2014 and 2016 elections will tote up the two choirs' members.

I have already been told on this thread that being honest in my own name will cause me to lose business, as though being dishonest and/or anonymous and gaining more business would be a better goal.
Oddly enough, I never said what I was credited with saying, only credited with not complaining hard enough about the legislature's actions. I'm not going to bathe in maudlin emotions to prove I am worthy of having an opinion.
I will say, again, clearly, "What the legislature did last week was wrong." I have said it enough times I have lost track of how many. Yet it is not enough. I guess I didn't preach the true gospel and handle the right snakes.
It is sad if that is not adequate affirmation, but many do not need hyperbole and hysteria to recognize a position.

I always thought that Neal Boortz was somewhat of a blowhard on the radio. But this thread truly shows his wisdom in his refusal to allow abortion discussion on his radio show.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-07-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not looking for faux outrage. However, concern might have been a nice touch when I pointed out that Planned Parenthood's main mission is not abortions & that closing clinics would deprive poor & uninsured women of cancer screenings.

A decent job would go a long way toward helping those women, but what do they get? Higher taxes & no clinics. . .well a whole one clinic for the whole state. That's as good as no clinics in a state this big.

If you think that I'm slobbering & drooling, that's your business. This is something that I've cared about very much for over 40 years.
I do not think you are slobbering and drooling and certainly didn't say that. I do feel a bit like that sort of display appears to be required from me for you to think I care.

I read your post several times. Don't assume I didn't let it register and didn't think about it. I almost gave you the same answer I gave Meh, which was, "Thank you for a post with some thought behind it. ..."
I wish I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I accept that you won't be linked to your posts. Everyone has their reasons. You seem to think I should place more limits on my integrity because I am linked to my posts. I disagree.

So, it is a test of squealing in "outrage." And, my expressions of disagreement with the legislature are not shrill enough?
I think your concern in your post was legitimate. Did I have to slobber and drool in "outrage" to be believable?

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-07-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,820,782 times
Quote:
I do not think you are slobbering and drooling and certainly didn't say that. I do feel a bit like that sort of display appears to be required from me for you to think I care.

I read your post several times. Don't assume I didn't let it register and didn't think about it. I almost gave you the same answer I gave Meh, which was, "Thank you for a post with some thought behind it. ..."
I wish I had.
I wasn't looking for slobber.

Did you notice that thaat response was very matter of fact? I've given that same response, usually verbally to an embarrassingly large number of males. (embarrassing to our society) The number one response that I'm usede to getting is God, I didn't know that. That's not right. Only a couple have had no response over the years, & when I pressed them on it, they said "So what." I'm sorry if I assigned an incorrect thought to you, but based on many years of experience with breaking it to males how females get medical services, your silence coupled with your comments to Mikey gave me a picture.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wasn't looking for slobber.

Did you notice that thaat response was very matter of fact? I've given that same response, usually verbally to an embarrassingly large number of males. (embarrassing to our society) The number one response that I'm usede to getting is God, I didn't know that. That's not right. Only a couple have had no response over the years, & when I pressed them on it, they said "So what." I'm sorry if I assigned an incorrect thought to you, but based on many years of experience with breaking it to males how females get medical services, your silence coupled with your comments to Mikey gave me a picture.
Yeah, "I wasn't looking for slobber," seemed quite matter of fact.

Peace. Out.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 PM

910 posts, read 1,322,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
People are acting like they are shocked that the Republicans in NC are wacko jihadists and corporatists, but weren't they paying attention all these years?
Nope. But to be fair Team Blue did a pretty good job of relegating them to obscurity. Though one has to wonder how oblivious all those yankees who also voted for them have to be to think southern Republicans aren't going to behave like southern Republicans.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,057,480 times
Quote:
So, it is toe the line and preach the correct gospel, chapter and verse, or not welcome? Are you a Republican?
I understood that a hundred or more posts ago. One only has to read the thread. I know that people who buy into a political screed don't like challenges or discourse that may recognize that others may have legitimate concerns. I don't consider it a huge flaw to note those concerns. They sure show up at the ballot box.
I honestly don't know the "correct gospel" you’re referring to... unless you’re referring to the “news shows” aka corporate media – but even at that, there isn’t one “gospel”. I’m tired of the finger pointing and blame at the party level when the simple reality is that they’re all just sponsored by elitists who insist they know what’s best, but that just ends up being what’s best for them. I don’t associate myself with either party because of this (registered Indy) and frankly tired of the snippets and one liners… As I’ve stated, I don’t agree with the legislation that was passed – but ultimately, the issue is how they did it. That is what I hope is remembered at the ballot box.

Quote:
I am not out of line on scripts. Too many people can only repeat what they are told, without attempt at rational thought or consideration of merit of other views, or sometimes rights to other views.
And, "government as a deity" was affirmatively recognized by another poster, who said that everyone who respects separation of church and state would feel demonized, by a tangential reference that some folks engage in government worship. How would one feel demonized unless they accept the mention as undue but not baseless criticism?
And when that error was pointed out, he only attacked, but did not even deny the point. I actually thought he made the post in error, after reading too quickly, but it appears that it represents his thoughts.

At least you corrected your error, although you blamed me for you making it. That was odd, but I get it.
One could extrapolate that your “script” is unavoidable – so why bother going on about something that is inevitable or unavoidable? People are a product of their environment and education… so of course they repeat what they’re told. Can critical thinking be taught? Does “rational thought” even have a definition accepted by the consensus? Your rational thought may not be my rational thought. Yet, nobody will argue that you, me , him, or her has a right to an opposing view. Debating someone over a topic doesn’t mean you don’t respect their right to disagree. So why is this even a point of contention?

I don’t know anyone who worships government and I’ve yet to see any evidence to think that it is occurring – regardless of whether you or another poster recognized it… in fact, I would argue that government is a scapegoat… a joke… a target for our animosity. Government is always falling short of our expectations and they are regularly demonized (borrowing your word) for anything they do or don’t do… where is the worship in that?

Quote:
Of course you have the constitutional right to name call from the comfort of anonymity. Does that add to your credibility? I think the choir you preach to will spout a hearty "Amen!" and the one you don't care about won't accept your point. And, that 2014 and 2016 elections will tote up the two choirs' members.

I have already been told on this thread that being honest in my own name will cause me to lose business, as though being dishonest and/or anonymous and gaining more business would be a better goal.
Oddly enough, I never said what I was credited with saying, only credited with not complaining hard enough about the legislature's actions. I'm not going to bathe in maudlin emotions to prove I am worthy of having an opinion.
I will say, again, clearly, "What the legislature did last week was wrong." I have said it enough times I have lost track of how many. Yet it is not enough. I guess I didn't preach the true gospel and handle the right snakes.
It is sad if that is not adequate affirmation, but many do not need hyperbole and hysteria to recognize a position.
I’m not looking for credibility… and if I was, I certainly wouldn’t be looking for it here. I personally feel that anonymity in a public forum is smart. Why risk something you state being taken out of context or misinterpreted… or something you say just because you’re having a bad day be thrown back at you months, years… decades – later? For what? Why? I shudder to think that you are active on FB like this and I never get the attraction to that… It’s a lose lose and narcissistic as far as I am concerned. There is no upside that I can see.

So, in the end – I hope that voters continue to take these clowns to task on how they govern… They chose a public life as a politician and they get to deal with everything that comes along with it. Be it outrage or maudlin.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I honestly don't know the "correct gospel" you’re referring to... unless you’re referring to the “news shows” aka corporate media – but even at that, there isn’t one “gospel”. I’m tired of the finger pointing and blame at the party level when the simple reality is that they’re all just sponsored by elitists who insist they know what’s best, but that just ends up being what’s best for them. I don’t associate myself with either party because of this (registered Indy) and frankly tired of the snippets and one liners… As I’ve stated, I don’t agree with the legislation that was passed – but ultimately, the issue is how they did it. That is what I hope is remembered at the ballot box.

One could extrapolate that your “script” is unavoidable – so why bother going on about something that is inevitable or unavoidable? People are a product of their environment and education… so of course they repeat what they’re told. Can critical thinking be taught? Does “rational thought” even have a definition accepted by the consensus? Your rational thought may not be my rational thought. Yet, nobody will argue that you, me , him, or her has a right to an opposing view. Debating someone over a topic doesn’t mean you don’t respect their right to disagree. So why is this even a point of contention?

I don’t know anyone who worships government and I’ve yet to see any evidence to think that it is occurring – regardless of whether you or another poster recognized it… in fact, I would argue that government is a scapegoat… a joke… a target for our animosity. Government is always falling short of our expectations and they are regularly demonized (borrowing your word) for anything they do or don’t do… where is the worship in that?

So, in the end – I hope that voters continue to take these clowns to task on how they govern… They chose a public life as a politician and they get to deal with everything that comes along with it. Be it outrage or maudlin.
I think what they did greatly overshadows how they did it. The "How" is just salt in the wound.
And, the WHAT is what voters will remember, regardless of whose gospel they preach.

Mike Jaquish

Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,926,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I just read through the provisions, and don't see what the big deal is, to be honest. They have not "banned" abortion. Looks like to me, you can still get one, a Dr must be present, and you have to pay for it yourself. What was so terrible, that I overlooked? I fully agree with you having to pay for them, not them not being covered by insurance, federal heath plans, etc.

Do you think YOU should have to pay for life support for someone who chose to not wear a helmet, while riding a motorcycle?
You do realize this same right-wing legislature that is pushing this law, also came very close to allowing motorcycle riders to not wear helmets, right?

Quote:
Charlie Boone of Zebulon, state vice president of the Concerned Bikers Association, said he would use facts to counter what he called “half-truths and outright lies and numbers picked out of the air” by helmet advocates.

“As far as we’re concerned, it boils down to a matter of freedom of choice,” Boone said. “We try to present an honest picture of it, and that’s what we’re going to do, period. We’ll be back here every year until we get this.”
Incidentally, the rep who sponsored the anti-helmet law -- John Torbett, from Gaston Co. -- also is a sponsor of the anti-abortion bill so widely cited as being all about women's health.

So, so, so much bull****.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,660,172 times
Gov. Pat McCrory tried to walk a fine line Monday in discussing a GOP-sponsored bill that would impose new limits and rules on abortions in the state, saying he supports measures that will improve a woman's health but not ones that are designed merely to restrict access.
McCrory voices concern over abortion bill passed by the Senate | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM

34,196 posts, read 83,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Gov. Pat McCrory tried to walk a fine line Monday... saying he supports measures
that will improve a woman's health but not ones that are designed merely to restrict access.
The problem of course being that access is already too restricted.
Access to the whole gamut of services that clinics should be providing.
I'd love to see Pat's plans to improve access and services.

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... and Free too.
Free to any in need... and especially to those without the resources to act in a timely manner.

The right to make a choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.
(which is been the anti-choice strategy they have been attempting to implement since Hyde)

btw: anyone is welcome to copy/paste my slogans anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina