Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What exactly has been outlawed? The NC Legislature passed nothing but gun-FRIENDLY laws this term, including the right to carry a weapon into a bar or onto a playground. Outlawed what?
Immaterial to the OP's whining at hand.

It is illegal for a resident of one state to purchase a controlled firearm in another, unless an FFL in the person's state acts as an intermediary, receives it on behalf of the resident, and performs the requisite background check prior to hand-over. This is applicable to all states.

Thus, if any firearms are making their way into NYC without this process, it is the individual who is transporting the weapon into NY who is criminally responsible. The laws of the other 49 states are immaterial to New York. For New Yorkers and Liberals to assert otherwise is just plain ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 PM

875 posts, read 1,163,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but if other nations can have bans and not have even close to US gun violence, there's clearly something that's wrong. I'd wager it's a combination of fanaticism, extremely high gun ownership, easy attainment, gun glorification culture and a society that doesn't value mental health or strong education. A few of those issues are much more easily dealt with.
Yes, something is wrong, its called a criminal mindset. Guns don't whisper into a person's ear and make them break the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So you're saying that "responsible" gun owners and manufacturers don't adequately take responsibility for their firearms in their safekeeping. That's not exactly making a strong case for your side.
Right, because responsible gun owners know in advance when their house or car will be broken into. How is that in any way their fault? I mentioned the trains because there was an article about groups of people breaking into box cars in rail yards and sometimes they get a boxcar full of guns. I've also seen the results of a vehicular smash & grab at a gun store. So despite the best efforts of responsible gun owners to secure their firearms it doesn't stop the criminal class from obtaining them.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,904,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Yes, something is wrong, its called a criminal mindset. Guns don't whisper into a person's ear and make them break the law.

Right, because responsible gun owners know in advance when their house or car will be broken into. How is that in any way their fault? I mentioned the trains because there was an article about groups of people breaking into box cars in rail yards and sometimes they get a boxcar full of guns. I've also seen the results of a vehicular smash & grab at a gun store. So despite the best efforts of responsible gun owners to secure their firearms it doesn't stop the criminal class from obtaining them.
The ones I've seen ATF investigations on the original gun owners were complicit, though sometimes ignorant, of the gun running. I doubt most of the guns found in NY were "stolen", even ones reported as such. The trafficker approached someone to buy pistols on his behalf, the rifles he probably just bought on his own. You can get an AK47 variant for dirt cheap, without a background check, at a gun show and it will sell for 4 times as much, if not more, up North.

I'm not advocating changing any of our gun laws, once again just educating on the reality of what's going on.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The ones I've seen ATF investigations on the original gun owners were complicit, though sometimes ignorant, of the gun running. I doubt most of the guns found in NY were "stolen", even ones reported as such. The trafficker approached someone to buy pistols on his behalf, the rifles he probably just bought on his own. You can get an AK47 variant for dirt cheap, without a background check, at a gun show and it will sell for 4 times as much, if not more, up North.

I'm not advocating changing any of our gun laws, once again just educating on the reality of what's going on.
Laws are already in place making straw an purchases illegal.
Laws are already in place making interstate purchases / transport illegal.

Citizen to citizen private gun sales at gun shows comprise a very small percentage of transactions overall at gun shows; Indeed, gun shows aren't even necessary for a private gun sale to legally take place.

Anyone who has been to gun shows knows this; The vast majority of gun sales are conducted by FFL dealer to private person, which requires a background check.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Laws are already in place making straw an purchases illegal.
Laws are already in place making interstate purchases / transport illegal.

Citizen to citizen private gun sales at gun shows comprise a very small percentage of transactions overall at gun shows; Indeed, gun shows aren't even necessary for a private gun sale to legally take place.

Anyone who has been to gun shows knows this; The vast majority of gun sales are conducted by FFL dealer to private person, which requires a background check.

I know this. As I said, I wasn't advocating any laws be changed. I was just countering the argument that the majority of these guns found in NY came from train box cars, smash & grabs, or otherwise stolen. Only handguns require the background check though. And though strawman purchases are illegal, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen quite frequently. The trafficker offers a few dollars to someone with a clean background to purchase the gun for them. Often, they do this even if they have a clean background check themselves, to distance themselves from the transaction.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I know this. As I said, I wasn't advocating any laws be changed. I was just countering the argument that the majority of these guns found in NY came from train box cars, smash & grabs, or otherwise stolen. Only handguns require the background check though. And though strawman purchases are illegal, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen quite frequently. The trafficker offers a few dollars to someone with a clean background to purchase the gun for them. Often, they do this even if they have a clean background check themselves, to distance themselves from the transaction.
Gotcha.

Rifle purchases such as SKS, M44, AK47 and AR15 all do require background checks.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Gotcha.

Rifle purchases such as SKS, M44, AK47 and AR15 all do require background checks.
I bought one at a gun show in Craven County in 2004 without a background check. The rules may have changed since then, though.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM

875 posts, read 1,163,423 times
Quote:
I bought one at a gun show in Craven County in 2004 without a background check. The rules may have changed since then, though.
Private sales don't require a background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina