Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Pat McCrory is going to be a 1 or 2 term governor?
1 Term 69 65.71%
2 Terms 22 20.95%
I don't know, could go either way 14 13.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times

Advertisements

It has been almost two years since the inception of this thread, has anyone views changed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Mine haven't. Sadly, he represented one of my few votes for what I thought was a moderate Republican candidate. Since taking office, he seemed to abandon any moderate views and has too many times attempted to placate the more extreme members of his party. He's pretty much turned into Governor Wishy-Washy, the political "Grand Eunuch" of North Carolina!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
I hope for one, but fear (and expect) two. I also expect NC to be republican controlled for a fairly long period.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
It is a lock for two.

A huge backlash has begun. Too much rioting, to many terrible decisions by the President, the immigration debacle, Iran, the list just doesn't stop.

I think te GOP is here for a Thousand Year Reich. Heaven help us

Old 08-25-2015, 04:49 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I hope for one, but fear (and expect) two. I also expect NC to be republican controlled for a fairly long period.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This was my question, exactly. Northern carpetbagger, here. But, gerrymandering has ensured GOP control of your legislature for the next ten years. We have the same in WI, now. A state which voted for Obama is being railroaded by the GOP.

Gerrymandering should be illegal. It deprives the people on both sides of a voice.

100% agree. Gerrymandering worked against the GOP for better than 100 years and now democrats feel the need to speak out against it. Their best argument. The republicans are better at gerrymandering than the democrats.

That said here is my redistrict plan:

1. Take the state population; divide by the number of districts.
2. Start at the OuterBanks and move a vertical line east until you get the population of 1 district.
3. Repeat for the number of districts.
If you happen to draw a line through a voting block….too bad.
Simple and blind….no bias.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Pat is almost like a lame duck governor with his party in majority. His vetos are overidden but Nc governors didnt have power to veto until Governor Hunt third term,
Now the lower branches are making efforts to strip his power of appointments and his transportation proposal is basically dead, highly unlikely they will approve the bonds and iffy it would be turn to voters.
Cuts in education including teacher assistants isnt going to sit well or be forgotten.
The raises in teachers pay was only for new teachers, while long term teachers saw nothing or minor increase and loss of tenures. Then there rest of government employees who have 0 increase.

Then there also no major job increase in this state, miss opprotunies with auto manufacturing.
I mention two years ago that fracking jobs would be his bread and butter but for us consumers we are lucky with cheaper oil prices that this isnt going to happen in this state for awhile.
News 14 reported last Spring that not a single company has received a permit. The state has been doing the testing to see which areas could be possibilty when ever it does occur.
Right now oil companies have been cutting jobs and its predicted half of fracking companies will belly up.

Far as gerrymander districts only possible change would come after the 2020 census.

What sad is how ineffective the super majority republicans are. They control both houses but cant see eye to eye.
The latest example is the state budget that was suppose to be finished by July 1st , and we now almost going on two months and they have yet to come to agreement.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Then there also no major job increase in this state, miss opportunities with auto manufacturing.
July 2014 to July 2015, here are the top 10 states in job growth: Utah (4.4 percent), Nevada (3.7 percent), Florida (3.5 percent), Washington (3.3 percent), California (3.2 percent), Oregon (3.2 percent), South Carolina (2.8 percent), Idaho (2.7 percent), North Carolina (2.7 percent), and Texas (2.3 percent).

Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
100% agree. Gerrymandering worked against the GOP for better than 100 years and now democrats feel the need to speak out against it. Their best argument. The republicans are better at gerrymandering than the democrats.

This ignorant assumption among many of the state's right-wingers is completely wrong. Democrats did not gerrymander districts "for better than 100 years" because they didn't have to. There was an overwhelming majority of Democratic voters in the state for most of the 20th century, up until the late 70's and early 80's when the Republicans began to close the gap. Gerrymandering that was done when the Democrats were in charge was in response to lawsuits and Justice Dept. pressure to address a lack of minority representation...it had nothing to do with Democrat vs. Republican voters.

Clearly, the Republicans are better at gerrymandering because they are doing it for purely partisan reasons. And it's wrong when Democratic House candidates receive 51 percent of the vote, yet only four of thirteen seats were won by Democrats (as happened in the 2012 election).

Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
This ignorant assumption among many of the state's right-wingers is completely wrong. Democrats did not gerrymander districts "for better than 100 years" because they didn't have to. There was an overwhelming majority of Democratic voters in the state for most of the 20th century, up until the late 70's and early 80's when the Republicans began to close the gap. Gerrymandering that was done when the Democrats were in charge was in response to lawsuits and Justice Dept. pressure to address a lack of minority representation...it had nothing to do with Democrat vs. Republican voters.

Clearly, the Republicans are better at gerrymandering because they are doing it for purely partisan reasons. And it's wrong when Democratic House candidates receive 51 percent of the vote, yet only four of thirteen seats were won by Democrats (as happened in the 2012 election).
Hmmmmm, you make a good point. Except, in 1992 the Republican senatorial candidate received almost 51% of the vote beating an incumbent. But somehow republicans only took 4 of 12 congressional districts.

Bush also beat HiLlARy Fraudham Clinton's husband in NC in 1992. Sorry, haven't been able to find the total congressional totals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina