Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:10 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I'm not sure if all these counties together have even close 100K people! My land is in Watauga County, very close to Avery and Ashe and I LOVE IT. I am not afraid to go there by myself and the weather is gloriuos(I think I spelled it correctly)!!!!!!!!!!
Watauga County has a lower crime rate index than the overall rate of NC.

Watauga County - 2,823.3
Statewide - 4,617.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Of course, the SBI may still be irritated that a Sheriff's deputy or a Murphy cop (can't recall) "found" Eric Rudolph instead of them ..... and that's why they rate the area so high or maybe from the uptight snowbirds getting out their road rage..... JUST KIDDING!
The NC SBI rates Cherokee County below average on crime for 2005. It's some of the private web sites that says it's high. They're all suppose to be using the same data. The county submits data to the SBI who submits it to the Feds.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Watauga County has a lower crime rate index than the overall rate of NC.

Watauga County - 2,823.3
Statewide - 4,617.0
Frankly, all I looked at 30years ago when w bought the place was how much land and how far away we could get from the "city". Have yet to regret the decision. Be sweet!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Thanks mm34B. I will do that.

The counties you mentioned above are some of my choices as the towns I checked in those various counties checked out well on Sperlings.

Have you ever been to VA? Do you think that is a good area for living in the mountains? Do you have any preference to loveliness in any of the states I'm considering? I know that sounds kind of corny but if I pick up and move in these later years of my life, I want to be totally satisfied and check out every detail before doing so.

I've about given up on eastern TN mountains as it appears on the sites I've check that the climate isn't as comfy as NC or VA as far as the comfort index goes. And also, it seems to be more populated, something which I definitely want to be away from.

Thanks again!!
Have you checked into Grayson County, Virginia or Carroll County Virginia - both in southern Virginia against the NC border?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 29,158 times
Default Franklin/Macon county?

The issues about Murphy are one reason I'm a bit leary of the mountains in the east. I'd rather go for the ones in the west (better mountain views), but aren't ruling the east out. The negatives for the east are the cost/acre is 5 or so times that of the west, the plots are consideralbly smaller (for what I can afford) and it's getting to be too many people. The negatives of the west are possible drinking water problems, forest fires and possibly longer commutes to get groceries. Right now, having water and almost no possibility of my house burning down make the cost and lot size issues about equal to living in the east or west.

I see comments about Murphy and some other areas - what about the Frankin/Macon County area? I was looking there. Comments?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Have you checked into Grayson County, Virginia or Carroll County Virginia - both in southern Virginia against the NC border?

Yes, those were two counties at which I was looking too. Thanks!!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
Default Murphy, NC

We just did the same - the Murphy area is lovely. When you are not at your home there, by all means turn off the water supply to the house and draining the water from the pipes is a good precaution too. A webcam requires a full time internet link, and you can buy either a stand alone webcam+internet server, or a more elaborate system from a vendor like "EZwatchPro". Goggle that "word" and it will take you to their web site.

There are house watching services as well, and I can refer you to one I use if you e-mail me.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM

28 posts, read 121,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Well, I found another site Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed where the crime reports are based on FBI reports and Murphy rates worse than the national average on it. Eventhough it's a small town, they somehow still base it per 100,000 people which doesn't make sense to me, but they know their math better than I.

It does sound and look beautiful but I also did a comparison on that site between Murphy, where I live now, and some other places I'm interested in and because of that, I'm going to cross Murphy off my list. Murphy soared about most of the others. I guess I'm just a fraidy cat at heart.
I always suggest reading the local newspaper for a few months before adding or deleting a city from your list. Numbers and statistics can be skewed and are not always accurate. Since living here, I have never locked my doors and in fact, leave my keys in the car while at the grocery store or even Walmart. Of course, I wouldn't describe my car, but I don't worry about my safety here.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:44 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 06:01 PM

This is a real old thread so I thought I'd update the crime info data for specific NC cities. You have to do your own math if you want crime rate indexes, but that's easy enough with a calculator. The official 2006 FBI report has not been issued yet.

FBI Web Site

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_nc.html (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 04-10-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina