Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Clearly, the folks who decided to suspend this teacher had their own personal agenda. Sadly, a powerful message was sent to gay students (and gay faculty) attending that school.
Yes, the message is that if you show something:

"...outside the bounds of the curriculum”

you will face disciplinary action. That is the reason and it is a good one. I can't think of any reason to show any music video in school unless it is a music or filmography class. This reeks of an attempt at indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
The superintendent said it was outside the bounds of the curriculum. I don't know what subject the teacher has or if this video has anything at all to do with that class, but to be safe he probably shouldn't have shown a video not approved by the district. I don't show any videos that don't directly support our Program of Studies. I won't show any videos that are not approved by the school district.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I can't think of any reason to show any music video in school unless it is a music or filmography class. This reeks of an attempt at indoctrination.

Yeah, we can't have teachers using available tools to teach kids to think critically or otherwise expose them to different points of view. How can we prepare them for the real world by bombarding them with ideas from, you know, the real world?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The superintendent said it was outside the bounds of the curriculum. I don't know what subject the teacher has or if this video has anything at all to do with that class, but to be safe he probably shouldn't have shown a video not approved by the district. I don't show any videos that don't directly support our Program of Studies. I won't show any videos that are not approved by the school district.
And the above is what many of our "expert" education posters don't get. Like it or not, agree with it or not, most school systems have approved films to show. Some like Glory, Schindler's List and Amistad had a version cut to meet school system standards.

If the teacher showed a video, regardless of content, which wasn't approved and a parent complained she was in the wrong.

And yes, I've shown unapproved ones but I'm also smart enough to know what is tolerated.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah, we can't have teachers using available tools to teach kids to think critically or otherwise expose them to different points of view. How can we prepare them for the real world by bombarding them with ideas from, you know, the real world?
If you look closely at the video, toward the end you will see that it was produced as political propaganda supporting Referendum 74 in the State of Washington, which, of course, is part of the homosexual "marriage" effort. In other words, this is not a legitimate tool designed to teach any kind of skills -- by its own admission, it is political propaganda developed by a narrowly focused pressure group with the intent to indoctrinate.

For those who have forgotten, the people of North Carolina have already spoken on this issue by way of a constitutional amendment.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
^ It's a matter of how it's presented by the teacher. If a teacher shows this film, acknowledges that it's produced by a group that supports gay marriage, then leads a discussion on how propaganda can be used to convey a message (without taking a pro or con position on the subject matter itself), there's an opportunity for students to learn from it.

I think it could be a great lesson on how to view propaganda (or anything else) critically.
It's really no different from showing a Hitler propaganda film and discussing how it may have affected those who were subjected to viewing it. It doesn't mean the teacher supports Hitler or is trying to get the students to agree with Nazi ideas.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Apparently a video that promotes acceptance, equal rights, and tolerance is now indoctrination. Though, I do think the teacher should have used a less political video for his assignment, the video is practically harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
For those who have forgotten, the people of North Carolina have already spoken on this issue by way of a constitutional amendment.
Okay? Amendment 1 is a perfect example of tyranny of the majority, and goes against having a republic in the first place. Rights of a certain group should not be held up for a vote for the masses to decide. And the amendment is idiotic anyway, considering gays could not get married in this state before, and the amendment not only took away benefits from gay couples, but straights as well. But I see it failing a few years, especially if it makes it to the SCOTUS.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
But I see it failing a few years, especially if it makes it to the SCOTUS.
I see it falling too, as American culture approaches ever closer to the lowest-imaginable common denominator.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I'm sure that what it boils down to is that the teacher failed to run it by their supervisors, the kids went home, told their parents how their day was, the parents, whose marriage began to be threatened upon hearing of this, went to the school to complain about the threats to their sanctity, and the school, who didn't know it happened in the first place, had to punish the teachers.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
If the teacher would have asked permission to show the video, it wouldn't have been approved- backed by some ridiculous claim of it being against some type of rule.

It isn't very much of a surprise being that it came from Alexander County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina