Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times

Advertisements

This film has four letter words some of us do not allow our children to use and talks against some religious beliefs. The anti-religious theme alone should have the film banned. No church would be allowed to go to school and talk against other religious beliefs and this film should not have been allowed either.

Sunny, this is what I was talking about when we had the vote in North Carolina. It is all right to teach children to be tolerant of other lifestyles but no government or school should be allowed to teach a child that something is normal when our Bibles teach us it is clearly not normal. Our children should be protected from being taught false information. Live whatever lifestyle you want to but stop trying to corrupt others.

Last edited by NCN; 09-13-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM

978 posts, read 2,056,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
This kind of indoctrination is one reason why there is so much interest in private schools and home schooling, and decreasing support for public schools.
Some new teachers are even refusing to work in the K-12 public schools and choose to teach in private or higher-ed schools.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM

43 posts, read 118,523 times
Lord, really? I am sure they are watching A LOT worse things every day on their smart phones!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 AM

82 posts, read 295,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesideout View Post
Lord, really? I am sure they are watching A LOT worse things every day on their smart phones!
They may be watching much worse on their smartphones, however a school isn't forcing them to sit in a classroom and watch such things on their smartphones.

How about we teach some math, english, history, etc... instead of trying to push the homosexual agenda.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cec311 View Post
They may be watching much worse on their smartphones, however a school isn't forcing them to sit in a classroom and watch such things on their smartphones.

How about we teach some math, english, history, etc... instead of trying to push the homosexual agenda.

So are you banning social studies?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-16-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,498,421 times
Default Why am I not surprised with the reaction to this video!

Why do I get the feeling that the test scores of Alexander County are just a hair above the average for the state of Mississippi? Am I being too cynical? When I read stories like this, online, or in the paper, it reminds me of how so much of North Carolina is essentially intellectual "fly-over" territory!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Why do I get the feeling that the test scores of Alexander County are just a hair above the average for the state of Mississippi? Am I being too cynical? When I read stories like this, online, or in the paper, it reminds me of how so much of North Carolina is essentially intellectual "fly-over" territory!
Depends which middle school. West Alexander scored at or above average on EOGT http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/sr...Year=2011-2012
East Alexander maybe that could be the one you speak of. http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/sr...Year=2011-2012

IMO I felt the teacher had good intentions to let the students decide for themselves is there tolerance or acceptance.
Also IMO, I always thought social studies was about civics but it probably evolved and we didnt have SS til 9th grade.
IMO, I have to side with school in using non standard curriculum-(videos for teachable moments as long as the district is consistent).
also IMO, but maybe times have changed but this seems little mature subject for middle school, but fits perfect in high school.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-16-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-16-2013, 01:00 PM

82 posts, read 295,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
So are you banning social studies?

No just pushing agendas on a captive audience. Schools should stick to the basics reading, writing and arithmetic and leave the rest to the student's parents.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,323,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Sunny, this is what I was talking about when we had the vote in North Carolina. It is all right to teach children to be tolerant of other lifestyles but no government or school should be allowed to teach a child that something is normal when our Bibles teach us it is clearly not normal. Our children should be protected from being taught false information. Live whatever lifestyle you want to but stop trying to corrupt others.
This is why bibles are not allowed to be used in public schools.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,163,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cec311 View Post
No just pushing agendas on a captive audience. Schools should stick to the basics reading, writing and arithmetic and leave the rest to the student's parents.

So what would you suggest the kids read and write about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina