Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM

510 posts, read 900,436 times

Advertisements

You can look up the NC state legislature and their attack on education. It's well documented.

We are supposed to be in one of the best school disctricts in the state and it's not great. In our high school teachers come and go, right in the middle of the year. Mainly because the pay and benefits are not good, so they cannot keep them. They move on to other jobs in other states or leave teaching. We had one elementary teacher a few years ago move back to Wisconsin because she couldn't take it anymore. She was one of the best teachers our daughters ever had. Another awesome teacher just moved back to PA over summer break. Not to say that there are not great teachers, but......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishe1 View Post
Thank you for all your input! I really appreciate all of your advice!!! I have heard great things about Asheville. Any more, please keep em coming!!
There is a lot of hype about Asheville. Whether it suits you to live there or not, may be a different matter. If you can visit not as a tourist would help. Talk with people and observe as you pick up groceries, get gas, etc. That will tell you a lot.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
My husband and I moved to Siler City a couple of years ago to start an organic fruit and vegetable farm. We LOVE it here! Of course, what we were looking for was quiet country property with good dirt. The people here are extra nice. I don't know why we waited so long to make this move. You know how you go into businesses in a good sized city and they are too busy to listen to what you have to say and help solve your problem? You won't find that here. You know how in big cities you have a lot of super educated people who don't slow down long enough to figure out if the "theoretical" answer actually makes sense in your life? You won't find that here (for the most part). I have heard that Chatham Charter school is a great school for kids, but of course, I don't think you could get a better educational program than homeschooling. The one thing you may find a problem with here is finding a local job. If you can learn to live without debt, then you can have many choices where to live and it may not even matter if the job doesn't pay a lot. Good luck in your choice.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishe13 View Post
My little family and I are thinking of relocating to North Carolina. I'm curious about what areas we should avoid (high crime rate/drugs/etc), what areas have the best schools, what towns are great for outdoor activities, etc. We are not worried about snow/cold. We want somewhere that is relatively low in crime, has an excellent school, and we can go outside for hikes! I'd love a small (under 2000) town! Or just a small town feel would work! Please give me any input on your experience living in North Carolina!!
NC is a large state; there is no way someone can tell you where to live in the whole state. Do you know anything about any of the areas? (If not, how do you know you want to move here??).

Best to hone in on one or two cities, then ask about specific areas. Asking where in an entire STATE is best to live is unanswerable.

Oh, and do you have a job lined up? That should be your primary consideration and would greatly dictate where to go, unless it's totally home-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina