Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 10:54 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

News-Talk 1110 WBT | News Story: Some new state laws take effect on Saturday (http://www.wbt.com/news/details.cfm?article_id=34415 - broken link)

Well, the folks in Raleigh have enacted 40 new laws for us to follow as of yesterday, 12/1. I saw a couple of articles highlighting them and didn't think too much of them at first (school bus drivers can't use cell phones, speeders 25 mph over the limit cannot claim faulty speedometer, etc.). Then I read something this morning that raised my interest because it has been done in our family since I was a little boy.

The one law that hit home (no pun intended) for me was that a person over 21 years old can now lose their driver's license for providing alcohol to a minor.

While it makes sense at first blush, this law runs deep. First, the drivers license is at risk even when there is no driving involved. Second, many families that historically allowed older siblings to consume a glass of wine, etc at the family dinner table (in a controlled environment) are now guilty of breaking this new law. (I am still researching to see if "minor" is defined as "0-18 years old" or "anyone under age 21".) Again, the new law doesn't discriminate against whether the parties involved are going to operate a motor vehicle or not.

If this law was designed to stop Mom's and Dad's from providing Jr with alcohol for parties, etc. then I'd be 100% behind it. However, if a parent chooses on occassion to let their son/daughter have a glass of wine at the home dinner table, then the gov't should not meddle and threaten to take away their DL. IMHO

Long story made short; check into these new laws. Something may strike you like it did to me.

Last edited by Stripes17; 12-02-2007 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: omitted a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
NC license laws are BS anyway. Apparently if you are arrested for suspicion of DUI and it is DISMISSED, you STILL have an automatic 30-day suspension on your DMV record!

So much for innocent until proven guilty.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
I'm pretty sure the intention of the "alcohol to minors" law was just as you said: to stop people from buying alcohol for their high school kids' parties, or to keep down the number of bribed adults who go buy alcohol for kids. They would have a pretty hard time enforcing something you do in the privacy of your own home. (See as another example: sex laws)

I get the feeling though, Stripes, that you're just a "less government is better" kind of person. (Even though your screen name has a military connotation...hmm...)

Nothing struck me as really remarkable about any of those laws. Most of them seemed like, "You mean talking on a cell phone while you're driving a school bus wasn't illegal before??"

Old 12-02-2007, 02:05 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
You're right Ultraviolet, I do tend to be a "less gov't is better" kind of person. (The Stripes portion of my screen name is that I've been a ref for hockey and football. You know; I'm one of those guys that half the people in the stadium hate! )

This one particular new law picqued my interest as I read into it. Not that my future meals will be eaten with shades drawn.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,628 times
so if you give your kid a glass of wine for the holidays and get caught, blame it on one of your relatives under 21 and call it a day. Whats the problem?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:45 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
It's not a new law, Stripes. It's a new consequence for breaking an old law.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Im not sure if I agree with it ok for a Motorcycle to go thru a red light.
I understand it due to the bike not being heavy enough or having enough metal to trip the light but I can see someone using it as excuse to run a red light when it not needed.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
I think those times when dad handed me a beer, that may have been breaking a law, but was not the intent of this change. It was to catch those fools supplying parties and such.

The motorcycle thing.. I am not sure.. I honestly think ANYONE should be given a pass in certain red light running situations. The other night I was stuck at a light for 2 cycles and when the third one came, I went, green or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina