Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 10:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Cant compare the Triad to Fayetteville. The Triad has a population of about $1.7 million. That's why they have the amenities, airport and road infrastructure they have

Fayetteville metro area is about 500k.

It is more similar to Augusta Georgia, which if you took away the Masters what would you have there?
For the record I'm not complaining about Fayetteville's roads or airport. Fayetteville has a population similar to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, Cary -- that's why I threw those towns out there, but I would rather live most places in NC than live in Fayetteville again and certainly any of the other top 10 municipalities in the state.

Fayetteville does not live up to its potential. For a city of its size it feels like a boring small town. Feels like a slightly larger Lumberton with an Army base, which is not a good comparison. And for the record there are plenty of small towns in NC that are NOT boring, but Fayetteville feels like the boring variety.

I just think they've played the hand they were dealt poorly. It wasn't a great hand -- Fayetteville is not in the mountains or at the coast -- but they could've done a lot better. Look at someplace like Seagrove. It's just a dot on the map, but has a history of pottery and has kept that going and capitalized on that. Fayetteville should have had a minor league ball park 50 years ago! That is a great thing to have in a military town. Those soldiers would enjoy going to the games. Why did it take so long?

It took them a long time to do anything along the river also -- another huge asset that they could have showcased much earlier, like Wilmington did with the riverwalk downtown, or Greenville SC, or Columbia SC. You can compare Columbia SC's Riverwalk here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html with Fayetteville's here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html Hillsborough NC also has a lovely and much loved Riverwalk.

Fayetteville is right on I-95 and on the river. Those both have a lot of potential. The Airborne museum is great and I'm sure it does draw a few people off I-95, but they need more places to go and things to do. Little Wilson NC (pop 47,731) is also off I-95 and they have the very cool Whirligig Park which brings people to town.

Honestly I'd rather live in Jacksonville NC than Fayetteville. At least then you're close to the beach.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-13-2023 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 12:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I’m assuming you mean strip clubs, pawn shops, bars, etc…
Kind of on a surface level, yeah. But going deeper, having a transient population at the will of its military orders and PCSs can socially bring about its own challenges for a city.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:00 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
For the record I'm not complaining about Fayetteville's roads or airport. Fayetteville has a population similar to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, Cary -- that's why I threw those towns out there, but I would rather live most places in NC than live in Fayetteville again and certainly any of the other top 10 municipalities in the state.

Fayetteville does not live up to its potential. For a city of its size it feels like a boring small town. Feels like a slightly larger Lumberton with an Army base, which is not a good comparison. And for the record there are plenty of small towns in NC that are NOT boring, but Fayetteville feels like the boring variety.

I just think they've played the hand they were dealt poorly. It wasn't a great hand -- Fayetteville is not in the mountains or at the coast -- but they could've done a lot better. Look at someplace like Seagrove. It's just a dot on the map, but has a history of pottery and has kept that going and capitalized on that. Fayetteville should have had a minor league ball park 50 years ago! That is a great thing to have in a military town. Those soldiers would enjoy going to the games. Why did it take so long?

It took them a long time to do anything along the river also -- another huge asset that they could have showcased much earlier, like Wilmington did with the riverwalk downtown, or Greenville SC, or Columbia SC. You can compare Columbia SC's Riverwalk here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html with Fayetteville's here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html Hillsborough NC also has a lovely and much loved Riverwalk.

Fayetteville is right on I-95 and on the river. Those both have a lot of potential. The Airborne museum is great and I'm sure it does draw a few people off I-95, but they need more places to go and things to do. Little Wilson NC (pop 47,731) is also off I-95 and they have the very cool Whirligig Park which brings people to town.

Honestly I'd rather live in Jacksonville NC than Fayetteville. At least then you're close to the beach.
All of the cities you listed are in a major metro. Fayetteville is not. Fayetteville is more similar to Greenville or Asheville or Wilmington in terms of being by itself geographically, it just has a larger population. I indicated that it has a minor league baseball team in a $40 million downtown stadium. It has had a 10K seat Coliseum for decades. It has semi pro teams.

To say there is nothing to do is being snobbish about what YOU want to do.

Also, while Cumberland County has been a high urbanized county for a long time, much of that population was not in the City limits of Fayetteville, which ties a city's hands financially to what they can do. They annexed twice to increase their population. They had a 89% increase in the 80's and 65% in the 2000's in their population due mostly in part to annexation. Fayetteville was operating as a smaller community in a region all by itself.

I-95 was built in the 50's on the other side of the river from downtown Fayetteville...my question is besides NC supporting Fort Bragg (which sits well outside the original city limits of Fayetteville), what has the State of North Carolina done to support growth and attractions in Fayetteville? It took the State 30 years to build a few mile urban bypass downtown. The State is just now serious about connecting Bragg to I-95 south via an interstate (to complete a loop). Fayetteville State University is one of the lowest funded Universities in NC. Certainly nothing like UNCG in Greensboro. It does not have easy access to a major airport like the cities you listed. Fayetteville has pretty much been on its own except for the federal support it gets (Bragg and the VA hospital system).

Let me ask this question. If you are white and not a Methodist, where do you go to college in Fayetteville?

Old 05-19-2023, 04:07 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Quote:
Let me ask this question. If you are white and not a Methodist, where do you go to college in Fayetteville?
Fayetteville State, FTCC and Methodist. There have definitely been White People who obtained their degrees from Fayetteville State. Otherwise, I get what you’re saying.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:50 PM

55 posts, read 29,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHH View Post
Canton would be my choice for a western NC town not to move to. Its not that there arent pretty areas to buy homes there, but the paper mill stinks and im not sure about the air and water quality there.
I know this is an old thread and old post. In time Canton will likely be removed from these "worst NC towns" list since the large 100+ year old paper mill will be shutdown this year (2023). Since Canton is relatively close to Asheville, it may gentrify.

Parts of its old downtown center have been fixed up to have more storefronts (breweries, coffee shops), but like with anything else it will take time to change.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
All of the cities you listed are in a major metro. Fayetteville is not. Fayetteville is more similar to Greenville or Asheville or Wilmington in terms of being by itself geographically
You want to compare Fayetteville to Wilmington, Asheville, and Greenville?? Whole lot more going on in all those cities which are all a good bit smaller than Fayetteville.

Quote:
I’m not sure what you are getting at here. Most kids in the state do not go to college in their hometown. But I’m sure that Methodist and Fayetteville State and FTCC are not checking religious or racial credentials. I happen to know a few Methodist grads who are not Methodists. And you don’t have to be black to go to Fayetteville State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina