Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,435,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
So what you are saying is....Screw these companies and the jobs they are bringing to our City!
We don't need you or your jobs! Go away you are a burden to Charlotte. Bev did this for years and it worked well for "Your Side" - giving NC a financial crisis that Pat is trying to dig us out of.

By the way, teachers don't need raises, they should be happy they have a job. If they don't like the job, quit. There a millions of people looking for a job. If the trash collectors or all government employees start screaming for a raise, do you simply give them one?

I'm glad your not in charge of writing the checks.

So why is the vast majority of job growth occurring in the highest taxed areas of the state?

Why are the highest taxed counties growing not just by sheer numbers but also by percentage points? If I sell my house, I'm going to fix up the yard, a little home improvement, maybe a few upgrades so I maybe get a little more out of my house then I put in. I'm not going to just leave it the way I live in let people come and just home I can undercut the other houses on the market.

It's called investing. You have to spend money to make money.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-24-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM

613 posts, read 748,883 times
Good news. Companies are attracted to areas that have a lower cost of doing business. It does take some time for this to happen.
As for cutting too much and not having enough for teacher wages. Well the money is there the problem is it's being spent on a bloated administration and large numbers of non-teaching employees. And you know what? Teachers know this. Look at your kids yearbook. My 6 year old's is full of non-teaching employees. I was stunned at the number.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,521,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Companies are attracted to areas that have a lower cost of doing business. It does take some time for this to happen.
Yes, companies are initially attracted to lower cost of living areas, but the "overall qualiity of life factors" start to alter the financial equation over a longer period. The schools and teacher issues at play in this state will affect the desirablity of moves down the road.

After the executives of newly transplanted companies perceive their children will be going to Wal-Mart High, the bloom starts coming off the rose.

I don't disagree with you about many school systems being top-heavy with excess administrators. I went to school starting in the 50's when class sizes of 35-40 was the norm and "teacher aides" were unheard of!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,841,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yes, companies are initially attracted to lower cost of living areas, but the "overall qualiity of life factors" start to alter the financial equation over a longer period. The schools and teacher issues at play in this state will affect the desirablity of moves down the road.

After the executives of newly transplanted companies perceive their children will be going to Wal-Mart High, the bloom starts coming off the rose.

I don't disagree with you about many school systems being top-heavy with excess administrators. I went to school starting in the 50's when class sizes of 35-40 was the norm and "teacher aides" were unheard of!
You couldn't be more right if you tried, Emissary.

You & I went to school before the bells & whistles were added. But then, we also diagrammed sentences to learn proper English & had history class & geography class. That type of education went by the wayside long ago, unfortunately.

You & I saw NJ go from no sales tax & no income tax to the mess it is today. Christie Whitman started the descent into hell so that she & her wealthy friends could pay less. The NC tax cut is even worse, now taxing pensions.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:03 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,793,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The reports I read said NC had a HALF BILLION DOLLAR shortfall. That's "hard" to me. ....
You are referring to demand for tax money. I only covered revenue losses due to tax cuts. The rest of it comes from the demand side. Perdue didn't have a magic wand. She was borrowing the difference.

Perdue ran the state debt up to ~$6.3B. Money that has to be paid back in real terms as the state can't print money. It's a time bomb for future taxpayers and budgets. They have stopped the borrowing and are working to get the debt down. This is where the shortfall comes from.

Partisans don't normally care for these kinds of details.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,793,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So why is the vast majority of job growth occurring in the highest taxed areas of the state?....
They are relocating from areas where tax rates are much higher. That is what this topic is about.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,718,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post

I went to school in North Carolina that had smaller classes and taught history, geography. math, reading, and grammar. I don't think New Jersey had a monopoly on education. I don't remember ever seeing a duel teaching staff and I wouldn't give two cents for any teacher who is in it for the money. Teaching is a calling and we would be better off to keep it an occupation where the employee doesn't need the salary. I know I was much better at my profession than some I worked with who needed the salary to buy groceries. I worked because I enjoyed it. I got so tired of hearing how little we made. I had no problem with my salary. It paid the expenses to work.

Last edited by NCN; 07-24-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,841,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I went to school in North Carolina that had smaller classes and taught history and geography and proper English. I don't think NJ had a monopoly on education.
Where did you get that? I went to school in Michigan & South Jersey. That's the way kids were taught all over this country. Nobody does that anymore. They mostly teach to the tests. The problem being eluded to is the experienced teachers leaving because of crappy pay & overcrowding the rooms because teaching positions have been eliminated.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,353,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Recently, we learned that Sealed Air Corp (the makers of Bubble Wrap) were relocating their HQ from Northern NJ to Charlotte. This is the largest Fortune 500 company relocation in Charlotte's history (and possibly NC's history as well). While reading about this story on a NJ media publication, the following quote caught my eye....

Quote:
"Still, both Hughes and fellow Rutgers economist Joseph Seneca said that the North Carolina incentives are not that large and are likely to have been only one factor in Sealed Air’s decision to move. New Jersey has much higher land costs, a higher cost of living and higher taxes than does North Carolina. New Jersey’s corporate income tax is 9 percent, and its top personal income tax rate is 8.97 percent. By contrast, North Carolina’s corporate tax rate is 6 percent, and its top income tax rate is 5.8 percent."
Elmwood Park-based Sealed Air Corp.'s move to N.C. will cost N.J. 200 jobs - News - NorthJersey.com

During McCrory's campaign for governor, he made it explicitly clear that lowering NC's corporate tax and creating a lower flat tax on income would make NC more competitive for job relocations. Well, here we are; it's 2014 and we've had a TON of major job announcements since McCrory took office. We now even have economists from other states citing McCrory's tax rates as a major reason for NC's business friendly status. Your thoughts? Was McCrory (the "wicked" republican) actually right about something? Hmmmmmmmmm?
sounds like it is working to me. hopefully more to come

Old 07-24-2014, 02:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,521,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I went to school in North Carolina that had smaller classes and taught history, geography. math, reading, and grammar. I don't think New Jersey had a monopoly on education. I don't remember ever seeing a duel teaching staff and I wouldn't give two cents for any teacher who is in it for the money. Teaching is a calling and we would be better off to keep it an occupation where the employee doesn't need the salary. I know I was much better at my profession than some I worked with who needed the salary to buy groceries. I worked because I enjoyed it. I got so tired of hearing how little we made. I had no problem with my salary. It paid the expenses to work.
NCN - Back when I started school in 1957 (yeah ...carbon date me!), teachers in NJ were at the bottom of the barrel, pay-wise. It was only during the 70's when teacher pay scales started to move up. Also, benefits for teachers started to increase in the 60's in lieu of pay increases. That has come back to bite NJ in the rear!

sb or NCN - Does anyone know ~ what year or years in the past that teacher aides became almost standard equipment in the classroom? 70's or 80's? It's so different now!

NCN - I do feel sorry for NC teachers, but not so much for NJ teachers. They both face pretty much the same problems but that $90,000 NJ salary and worlds-better benefits, (though not quite as generous as they were 5 years ago!) greatly assuage those problems for NJ teachers vs the $45,000 and much less generous benefits for their NC counterparts. I suspect Charlotte will lose a few science and math teachers to Houston when the recruiting party comes a-callin', in a few weeks with those $50,000 and up starting salaries!

In NJ, you practically have to be related to a school board member to get a teaching job. The inner cities are the only places where beginning teachers could be offered $55,000 to start - and say "thanks ...but no thanks!

Businesses that wind up moving to another state, may see those tax credits with rose-colored glasses, but when they find out that the schools are only fair-to-middling, word gets out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina