Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
So, the North Carolina Values Coalition is encouraging registers of deeds to use their strongly held religious beliefs to refuse to issue same sex couples a civil marriage license. Hmm? What, in fact, is religious about this civil document? If religious beliefs are so strong, then why not encourage devoutly Catholic registers to to deny a marriage license to divorced individuals? Why not encourage those who think that marriage is a religious institution alone to deny licenses to couples who only want a civil ceremony? If the raison d'être of marriage is so holy, why hasn't the values coalition encouraged a "line in the sand" until now?

Traditional marriage backers urge registers of deeds to follow their conscience :: WRAL.com
Why aren't Orthodox Jews encouraging their members who work in grocery stores not to sell pork or razors to customers???!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Look, when you've been with someone for 13 years and someone gives you a chance to recognize your relationship, you take it. You don't have to explain to me whether or not I'm really married. As I explained earlier in this thread, those marriages were declared null and void.
I have another friend in your boat

However, a lot has changed since 2004. Even when Prop 8 came along and nullified the 2008 marriages in California (including my own), they were quickly reinstated. The barn door cannot be closed now, and if I were you, I would not worry about having your marriage, even in NC, revoked by the whim of law. Even if somehow they were to stop allowing new ones, they would grandfather the ones already performed, I'm certain.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have another friend in your boat

However, a lot has changed since 2004. Even when Prop 8 came along and nullified the 2008 marriages in California (including my own), they were quickly reinstated. The barn door cannot be closed now, and if I were you, I would not worry about having your marriage, even in NC, revoked by the whim of law. Even if somehow they were to stop allowing new ones, they would grandfather the ones already performed, I'm certain.
Right now what's driving us is more the hassle factor, just the inconvenience of taking a half day off work to go downtown and get married. I'm going to bring it up with my partner very soon. Maybe after we see the results of Tuesday's election, he might be in a mood to get married.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Right now what's driving us is more the hassle factor, just the inconvenience of taking a half day off work to go downtown and get married. I'm going to bring it up with my partner very soon. Maybe after we see the results of Tuesday's election, he might be in a mood to get married.
Well, the hassle here is less than in California, where as you may recall, there is a 24-hour waiting period between getting a marriage license and actually tying the knot; in NC, you can do one immediately after the other if there is someone there qualified to do it.

I certainly wouldn't consider it a "hassle" to take half a day of vacation if it meant gaining your due citizen's rights.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Latest update: Tillis and Berger , legislative leaders (strong word to describe ) are giving formal notice that their lawyers will appeal a Greensboro federal judge’s ruling that legalized same-sex marriages in the state.
The appeal -> http://www.scribd.com/doc/245775771/1-14-cv-00299-96

The appeal was filed the same day a federal appeals court in Cincinnati upheld gay marriage bans in four Midwest states.
A federal judge on Friday ruled that Missouri’s same-sex marriage ban is unconstitutional. The appeal goes to the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va., which ruled this summer that Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban was unconstitutional. T
hat ruling led the way for North Carolina’s ban to be struck down after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Tillis is such a fine steward of our state's finances.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Tillis is such a fine steward of our state's finances.
Care to elaborate?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:16 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Care to elaborate?
So you put in a Tax plan which does not bring in enough revenue, then you use reserves to cover the shortfall. You then, after cutting Public education, put in a raise to your employees. You also limit the counties in the state by putting caps on Revenue for them. Then you double down and allow another tax cut to Corporations. Counties will be forced to raise Real Estate taxes to cover shortfalls created by you tax cuts

You cut revenue so much that the state is unable to attract large job creating business,as Va and SC continue to do. So Tillis you(not me I did not vote for him) gave him a promotion after he has failed in the Leg.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I'm guessing but judging by roll eyes it interpreted as sarcasm since there isn't a sarcasm icon.
Amendment One has cost us the taxpayers since it inception, I would love to know the wasted state funds. I think earlier in the thread I stated this attorney charges $350 an hour . I'm disappointed in Kay as her so called moderate cost her the election when she should had used this bill amoung others against Tillis. Her ads should had been the costs of A1 and how much Tillis is costing each day continuing considering district and circuit courts have denied. This may would energized her base to vote.
Even if uscotus grants full married equality, I'm scared to think of what kind of bills Tillis and Ted Cruz will attempt to implement and same for our state legislators.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
... I'm disappointed in Kay as her so called moderate cost her the election when she should had used this bill amoung others against Tillis. Her ads should had been the costs of A1 and how much Tillis is costing each day continuing considering district and circuit courts have denied. This may would energized her base to vote.....
Democrats are afraid of Gay & Lesbian rights because they fear a backlash among conservative African Americans (many churches actively protest against Gay marriage) and Hispanics because of their ties to the Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina