Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
My feeling is this is unlikely to happen. It's always a bad idea to predict the future but I'm thinking that given the stance of the court, and the fact that as each day more marriages take place, it's going to be very difficult if impossible for the state to take it away.

But here's a different thought. Make your plans and don't worry about what idiots might do in the future. Idiots will be idiots so no need to pay them any mind. That is giving them control. Take it back. Good luck to the both of you.
I really appreciate your comments, but my experience with California makes me cautiously optimistic. I'm going to watch the courts and see what happens. When we got married in San Francisco we threw caution to the wind regardless what would happen later. I figure I'll let someone else be part of history this time, then I'll get my turn when everything is sorted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
^If you were already married in California, then you are now married here in NC.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
^If you were already married in California, then you are now married here in NC.
No, that is not correct. I was married in 2004 at San Francisco City Hall under authority of the mayor Gavin Newson. Those marriages were ruled invalid. So I'm not technically married anywhere.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
No, that is not correct. I was married in 2004 at San Francisco City Hall under authority of the mayor Gavin Newson. Those marriages were ruled invalid. So I'm not technically married anywhere.
Actually it is correct since you weren't actually married in CA. Newsome went rogue and didn't have the authority to marry same-sex couples.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually it is correct since you weren't actually married in CA. Newsome went rogue and didn't have the authority to marry same-sex couples.
Look, when you've been with someone for 13 years and someone gives you a chance to recognize your relationship, you take it. You don't have to explain to me whether or not I'm really married. As I explained earlier in this thread, those marriages were declared null and void.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Look, when you've been with someone for 13 years and someone gives you a chance to recognize your relationship, you take it. You don't have to explain to me whether or not I'm really married. As I explained earlier in this thread, those marriages were declared null and void.
I hope you can enjoy marital bliss soon! What a hassle for you. All my best.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
So what push back will the NC GOP do as this is SSM hot bed issue that drives up the base and we already seen with push back on abortion with the Vaginacycle bill last year.

Berger has already stated he going introduce legislation so that register of deeds can opt out giving SSM marriage license due to religious beliefs and that bill might be broad for all state government officials which is dangerous considering first responders could also decline going to LGBT homes.
If you work in the public especially government officials you work and serve all people.

In Texas, a daughter of two moms was refused in getting a drivers licence because both parents was not on her birth certificate. Even though Texas currently still has a ban, I could see our legislator passing a bill like this.
Which is crazy as a birth certificate or any government document should only be used to prove your who you are.

Also since Texas also passed a voter ID law, the children of same sex will not be able to vote because of disagreeing withn who some child parents are.

I also see them passing bills making it hard for LGBT to adopt.

Do yall think their will be a push to discriminate or will equality will be achieved more?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-24-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Do yall think their will be a push to discriminate or will equality will be achieved more?
Sadly if history shows us anything it's that people are all too willing to stand on the necks of those not in their tribe, be it social, economic, religious, race, gender, orientation or whatever lame excuse they can rationalize without giving so much as a thought that it might be their necks being stood upon if not for some manner of providence or sheer random cosmic happenstance.

I really wish I had some pithy little witticism I normally enjoy wrapping my comments up with but in this case I got nothin'.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The point remains that WaldoKitty was correct because you weren't actually legally married in 2004.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
So what if the public voted to put all people that practiced Islam into camps (like what we did to Japanese people in the 1940s) because, you know, TURRISTS. And then a judge came back and said "Nah, you can't discriminate like that." Would that be alright that the judge overturned the people?

What if NC voted that inter-racial marriage was illegal? Would that be acceptable to overturn via the courts?

Discrimination isn't legal, doesn't matter if it passed the public vote unanimously. This isn't late 30's Germany.
I find it curious that most people making this argument were also demanding to have presidential election results by popular count rather than the electoral college, i.e. Bush / Gore, claiming majority rule.

Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina