Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadiaP View Post
I worry more about the adults out there applying make up, eating, talking on the phone(against the law in Albuq. hands free only), reading and everything else.
And don't forget they are also juggling their overpriced cup of swill from StarBucks at the same time.

The act of "holding" the phone is not the issue. It is the fact that the conversation distracts the driver from driving that is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 PM

116 posts, read 471,987 times
True enough, although two hands on the wheel beats one. But my son isnt allowed to talk while driving...hands free or otherwise. Now Ive probably gone and jinxed him and he'll have an accident tomorrow!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:11 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Thumbs up Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
No you are quite right that the accident I quoted could have happened to anyone and my point was that if an adult ran a child over by reversing over them then they did not exercise that degree of care which they should have unless they say that they looked behind the vehicle , hopped in and reversed straight away . That could be due diligence - my point was really that our expectations are that a 16 yr old should be expected to exercise the same degree of care and I don't think that they are well equipped for the task. I passed my driving test when I was 17 but didn't have a car until 20 due to lack of finances and I probably shouldn't have been driving until then anyway . Young drivers was really introduced for the benefit of people living in remote areas not for kids who should be taking the school bus. One of my neighbors have bought a BMW for their 15 year old daughter - what sort of crass message does that send out??
Sorry if I come over as uncaring or hard-nosed I really do have the well being of everyone at heart its just that we seem nowadays to pander to the whims of children rather than lead them as good parents should and that involves saying no to them
I know that every generation complains about the ones after them, but this is true. Today's kids have too much too soon and they expect everything as they are into instant gratification. What happened to the word "NO"!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And don't forget they are also juggling their overpriced cup of swill from StarBucks at the same time.

The act of "holding" the phone is not the issue. It is the fact that the conversation distracts the driver from driving that is the problem.
Very true. I recently saw a women (via my rear view mirror) who was on her cell phone, smoking a cigarette and trying to drink something in a cup (coffee, booze, ???). All the while she was tailgating me and swerving back and forth...so I pulled over and let her get the heck away from me. If I had my cell phone with me I would have called the police.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 AM

127 posts, read 600,249 times
From what I've been told, a kid can not get a permit if they are not maintaining a good grade average in school. The NC DMV site says:

If you are at least 15 years of age and have completed an approved driver education course that meets North Carolina requirements and can present a Driving Eligibility Certificate (issued by the public school system)...

So... does this mean that the school won't issue a certificate to a kid that is not getting good enough grades?

I've got a kid that's getting to be driving age and I've been dangling this carrot in front of him all year.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
So... does this mean that the school won't issue a certificate to a kid that is not getting good enough grades?
The local High School here sends letters in the mail following the marking periods indicating if someones child is not meeting the academic portion of the Drivers License requirements. I believe the letter said it would report the grades to DMV and the school would suspend the students parking permit. Just going by recollection of a friends situation. Thankfully this wasn't an issue with my DS.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 5,322 times
Most will think of the protection portion of this but I wonder how many really understand that this is just another way for our Gov't to further control us as we loose our freedoms. Notice the small but constant impending freedom withdrawals.... They must need a new way to capture the young people in a criminal database as they feel secure that most young people won't follow this law until they are 18. Think about all of the restricting laws being passed now in the framework of further protecting us. It is becoming a scary time and the masses are just accepting it. We get the leaders we deserve.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomusiclover View Post
Most will think of the protection portion of this but I wonder how many really understand that this is just another way for our Gov't to further control us as we loose our freedoms. Notice the small but constant impending freedom withdrawals.... They must need a new way to capture the young people in a criminal database as they feel secure that most young people won't follow this law until they are 18. Think about all of the restricting laws being passed now in the framework of further protecting us. It is becoming a scary time and the masses are just accepting it. We get the leaders we deserve.

On the contrary, I think we need more laws, starting with a law against pulling up 4-year-old threads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina