Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 PM

6 posts, read 31,431 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a student in Wisconsin who is sick and tired of the snow. I am graduating with a French major and would like to move to NC, get my teaching license, and start teaching.

I have spent tens of hours researching teacher certification programs and it's difficult to get all the facts straight.

Does anyone know of a licensure-only program that lasts about 1 year??

Has anyone been involved in NC-TEACH???

Has anyone had experience with lateral entry vs. licnsure before teaching??

In desperate need of help,
Anna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Have you had any education classes? Have you taken the Praxis?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 26,224 times
I'm currently enrolled in the education program at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke.

We have a one year lateral entry program. I would advice against this program as you do not get the needed experience as a student teacher, that in my opinion is needed to become an effective teacher.

NC- Teach information can be found here - http://ncteach.ga.unc.edu/uncp/index.php

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM

23 posts, read 34,230 times
Default Beware of Lateral Entry Teaching in the South

Just a post to warn people who are considering relocating to the South in order to become a "Lateral Entry teacher". While the program sounds well and good on paper, my personal experience in trying to land a job as a L.E. teacher was frustrating as well as surprising.

As a person with a degree in English, (3.8 - G.P.A.) who is also a published writer, prospective L.E. teachers should be aware of the following pitfalls when interviewing for a L.E. teaching position:

Although the NC Teach program proclaims a dire need for teachers,
especially in school districts where the population is rapidly
increasing - if you apply in one these districts, you will most
certainly be competing "head-on" with experienced, Certified
teachers.

In addition, if you try to logically circumvent the competition by
applying to outlying school districts, you will run "head on" into what
I delicately refer to as "unpleasant cultural differences". In other
words, if you are not a "native-born Southerner", many of the
interviewing principals who are native-born -WILL NOT HIRE YOU -
regardless of your qualifications! Now, they're not necessary "rude"
to you (this is the South afterall!) but you will hear some fairly
surprising comments that seem to refute all of the available
literature concerning the relative "ease" of becoming a Lateral
Entry teacher in NC! There is much mistrust here of "outsiders"-
or "transplants" who are inaccurately (and routinely) perceived
as "ruining" the local culture. Clearly some Southerners do not
understand the contemporary global workplace , which now forces
many Americans to relocate in pursuit of better "hunting grounds".

My advice is to do your homework prior to relocating, or making any
big plans - and perhaps remain in your current profession until you
can secure a L.E. position.

Good Luck out there!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
The schools in my region are not in dire need of teachers, but Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UNC-G, NCA&T, NC Central, NC State are all in commute range and are producing teachers at a grand rate. I graduated from UNC-G and I have taken the coursework necessary for lateral entry but, there are simply no jobs available. I have been to the surrounding counties as well, with the same results. Each time I hear the same story about other counties farther away need teachers but, I like where I live and am not interested in uprooting, we got very lucky when we found this much land at a reasonable price, some say I stole it, perhaps, can't see my neighbors, creek, I am willing to commute, just licensed teachers are abundant here. It is hard to claim bad luck when surrounded by intelligent, educated neighbors.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzmtazzy View Post
Hi, I am a student in Wisconsin who is sick and tired of the snow. I am graduating with a French major and would like to move to NC, get my teaching license, and start teaching.

I have spent tens of hours researching teacher certification programs and it's difficult to get all the facts straight.

Does anyone know of a licensure-only program that lasts about 1 year??

Has anyone been involved in NC-TEACH???

Has anyone had experience with lateral entry vs. licnsure before teaching??

In desperate need of help,
Anna
I'm sending you a PM right now!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:23 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
The schools in my region are not in dire need of teachers, but Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UNC-G, NCA&T, NC Central, NC State are all in commute range and are producing teachers at a grand rate. I graduated from UNC-G and I have taken the coursework necessary for lateral entry but, there are simply no jobs available. I have been to the surrounding counties as well, with the same results. Each time I hear the same story about other counties farther away need teachers but, I like where I live and am not interested in uprooting, we got very lucky when we found this much land at a reasonable price, some say I stole it, perhaps, can't see my neighbors, creek, I am willing to commute, just licensed teachers are abundant here. It is hard to claim bad luck when surrounded by intelligent, educated neighbors.
abundant maybe, but theres still a shortage. NOt sure who they are hiring, but they obviously need teachers...

Teacher Shortage Looms in Wake County :: WRAL.com

Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 AM

5 posts, read 26,224 times
They might not be hiring teachers in your licensure area.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
To qualify for a lateral entry license, you must meet one criterion from each section below:
Section I

1. Have a relevant* bachelor’s degree of higher, OR
2. Complete 24 semester hours of course work in your teaching area, OR
3. Earn passing scores on the Praxis II subject assessment tests for your area,

AND Section II

1. Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher, OR
2. Five years of relevant work experience after the bachelor’s degree, OR
3. Passed the Praxis I tests plus one of the following:
1. GPA of 3.0 in the major field of study, OR
2. GPA of 3.0 in all courses in the senior year, OR
3. GPA of 3.0 on a minimum of 15 semester hours of courses related to your teaching subject/licensure area (completed within the last five years).
*The bachelor’s degree (or higher) must be in the area of the teaching assignment.

Then, to clear your license:
Option One
You may contact an IHE in order to determine the courses required in order for the IHE to recommend you for a teaching license. A "plan of study" will be developed. A copy should be provided to the LEA. The IHE will review your transcripts to determine if previously completed coursework can count toward meeting licensure requirements. Typically, you must complete all coursework through the chosen IHE if you select this option.

Option Two
You may work with the LEA and the RALC to determine the courses required in order for the RALC recommend you for a teaching license. A "plan of study" will be developed. A copy should be provided to the LEA. The RALC will review your transcripts to determine if previously completed coursework can count toward meeting licensure requirements. With this option, coursework can be completed at any regionally accredited IHE.

You are allowed three years to complete all coursework and testing requirements.
You are expected to complete a minimum of six semester hours per year. You will be required to pass the Praxis II subject area tests for your area of licensure.

You can find this info on just about every district's website under employment or job postings. However, this is the best I found (Lincoln County Schools)

Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
abundant maybe, but theres still a shortage. NOt sure who they are hiring, but they obviously need teachers...

Teacher Shortage Looms in Wake County :: WRAL.com
You hit it on the money, north carolina's teacher shortage is out of control. The thing about lateral entry is that they really don't know if they have a job until close to the first day of school because licensed teachers have preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina