Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times

Advertisements

Sandycat, most immigrants that came here were escaping extreme poverty and were uneducated. Many of the European immigrants that came in the 19th and early 20th century were illiterate in their own lanuguage. Let's not make excuses for the new immigrants and give them a pass that our ancestors never had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 PM

11 posts, read 29,935 times
Default To all those looking forward to embracing diversity

Be careful....I used to love diversity. Something happened!!! Sound of gun shots in areas that were once safe, debeautification of our cities, grafitti on once beautiful buildings and Yosemite landscapes, trash now floating in our rivers, hospitals closing down, medical insurance costs rising, cost of education for American Citizens skyrocketing, crowded prisons, etc. During my lifetime I've seen brand new cities developed, and within 30 years, turned into slums.

I am sorry to write that this bleak factual message may not be understood by some only until the time they will see it, and I'm sure with deep regret.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 8,350 times
Just food for thought . . . Interestingly, English is NOT the official language in America. America has, quite purposely, refrained from choosing an official language because of the ideals our country is based upon.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM

To all who are looking forward to diversity. Please move to California. You will see once beautiful buildings and landscapes now debeautified by gang bangers. You will be able to hear gun shots in areas that you would never believe were safe at one time. Also, you will be able to share the cost of providing emergency medical assistance to illegal immigrants. You will be able to help provide welfare to anchor baby families. You will see that where hospitals once were, they are no longer in operation. Some, white/caucasions, will now be of an unofficial minority race without education incentive benefits. We have plenty prisons that are overcrowded due to mostly illegal aliens or decendents of poor immigrants who never made good. So those looking for work in the criminal system should have no problem.

If you get sick in California just make sure you have our high cost health insurance.

"Be careful what you ask for"

Old 11-04-2006, 09:44 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGAL View Post
Be careful....I used to love diversity. Something happened!!! Sound of gun shots in areas that were once safe, debeautification of our cities, grafitti on once beautiful buildings and Yosemite landscapes, trash now floating in our rivers, hospitals closing down, medical insurance costs rising, cost of education for American Citizens skyrocketing, crowded prisons, etc. During my lifetime I've seen brand new cities developed, and within 30 years, turned into slums.

I am sorry to write that this bleak factual message may not be understood by some only until the time they will see it, and I'm sure with deep regret.
Your Sins are Forgiven; Go and Sin No More!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 PM

Are you suggesting that "gang bangers" (and all that is wrong in/with America) are due to diversity? We poor, white, middle class folk - what are we to do? I truly hope that my future neighbors in NC are more forward-thinking and tolerant than some of the people behind the threads I have come across this evening.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:35 PM

Smile Msg to Father DeLaSalle and LeavingLFsoon

This is a new experience for me. I assume both of you are many years younger than I. I'm pretty burned out on "we are all immigrants" statements, and I think only those who were in orphanages may not know their true heritage.

Now I realize I should not have used the word "diversity". I am a peace loving individual and have many friends of many cultures and religions. My best friends are people of all color and we know we will always be there for each other. I am married to someone who was raised by a Mexican family. I am a Catholic, Irish/Native American, and love ALL people. I will soon be 67 years old and am still working full time. So with a lot of life observations and experiences behind me......

While reading several messages tonight, my impression is that there are people out there who are very, extremely nice, and may be naive to what is happening in different parts of our country because of illegal immigration. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:53 AM

I'm sorry, too. Guess I was a little obnoxious . . .

PS - Your comment about my age was right on!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGAL View Post
To all who are looking forward to diversity. Please move to California. You will see once beautiful buildings and landscapes now debeautified by gang bangers. You will be able to hear gun shots in areas that you would never believe were safe at one time. Also, you will be able to share the cost of providing emergency medical assistance to illegal immigrants. You will be able to help provide welfare to anchor baby families. You will see that where hospitals once were, they are no longer in operation. Some, white/caucasions, will now be of an unofficial minority race without education incentive benefits. We have plenty prisons that are overcrowded due to mostly illegal aliens or decendents of poor immigrants who never made good. So those looking for work in the criminal system should have no problem.

If you get sick in California just make sure you have our high cost health insurance.

"Be careful what you ask for"
I could not agree with you more. Sad that i ( i am now in NC) was feeling like i was the minority and after being born and raised in the same area in Calif. my whole life, the changes were astronomical. Just too, to many.
What really got me last year was when my daughter was having a full blown out asthma attack, her breathing was getting labored, and we had to wait 2 hours( from 11pm to 1am) to be seen and get her on a breathing machine.Why?? Because the emergency room was overcrowded with a certain minority who uses it for their sick kids with bad colds, fevers and other ailments that could have waited untill the next morning in a doctors office the way we all did it when our kids were young. The problem is, when they dont have to pay for it, then why not???Hospitals cannot turn them down and thats the part i dont get.Emergency i can see but minor ailments thats another story.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:23 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFLsoon View Post
Just food for thought . . . Interestingly, English is NOT the official language in America. America has, quite purposely, refrained from choosing an official language because of the ideals our country is based upon.
Its ways of thinking like that that undermine our country's very foundation!

That IS NOT THE REASON we do not have "an official language." Must I go to Germany and think that becuase they dont have an official language they must not speak German? Russian in Russia? Chinese in China?

Language is the very thing that unites a people when nothing else does! We may not have the same politics, beliefs, or race, but we can certainly communicate with each other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina