Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:44 AM

401 posts, read 657,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I also recommend Lake Norman near Charlotte. You have access to the large city amenities of Uptown Charlotte, quality neighborhoods in Huntersville, Mooresville, etc, and also a large recreational waterfront at Lake Norman.

Don't move to Fayetteville.
What could possibly be wrong with Fayetteville?
-6.4% unemployment rate, comparable to the 6.3% of Charlotte
-Close to the beach, as well to the capital
-Cumberland County Schools is better then Durham County schools and CMS
-Moderate weather, warmer then Raleigh, cooler then Charlotte
-Highly populated (Turns out FB and Fayetteville aren't the same, according to the US Census)
-Great stores and businesses (From low class mcdonalds to a high class galleria)
-The mayor is a Republican
-Crown Colliseium
-Lots of lawyers and doctors
-Expensive suburbs and middle class homes
-Lots of different cultures
-A expending city

Cons-
-Quite high crime, but not the worst in the state
-Lots of traffic (comparable to Durham Metro)

Just because the city doesn't have "Tons of skyscrapers" like Durham and Asheville doesn't mean that its a bad city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Fayetteville-
With lots of businesses and a high density,
Cheap housing, decent schools, and close to the Cape Fear River. As of January 2013, Fayetteville had 204,408 people, making it the 6th largest in the state and about 1400 people per square mile, and a 2012 metropolitan of 400,000, Fayetteville is perfect for what you want in a city......
I agree that Fayetteville might be an option for the OP, MajorSargeant. If he has military experience with job skills wanted by the Army, then the family could find a nice place to live in the area. There are numerous lakes in Moore County (eg Seven Lakes) and many places to play golf, hike or ride horses. It is also about 2 hours to Myrtle Beach for ocean recreation.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,048 times
Wow! Thank you everyone for your detailed responses. I really appreciate your opinions and suggestions. I work in the tech industry and I am fortunate enough to have a pretty flexible job situation. Currently living in Michigan... it snowed on Halloween. Not fun for anybody.

Thanks again. I think the next step is actually visit those cities everybody mentioned.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:44 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSargent View Post
Wow! Thank you everyone for your detailed responses. I really appreciate your opinions and suggestions. I work in the tech industry and I am fortunate enough to have a pretty flexible job situation. Currently living in Michigan... it snowed on Halloween. Not fun for anybody.

Thanks again. I think the next step is actually visit those cities everybody mentioned.
It snowed on Halloween in North Carolina too. Anyway, if you're in the tech industry absolutely I suggest the Raleigh Durham area. The Research Triangle Park (aka RTP) would be your dream.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM

444 posts, read 582,288 times
Default Nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSargent View Post
Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for your time and advise. My question relates to what city(s) would be best suited to relocate my family to.

Here is some background. I am looking for a young family friendly neighborhood with good schools that has the following:
Outdoor activities
Near a lake or ocean
High population
Good shopping/restaurants

Hope this is enough to go on. Thanks again for any inside information.
Nashua New Hampshire.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
Nashua New Hampshire.
Nashua doesn't have high population, atleast compared to North Carolina.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...North_Carolina

Old 11-02-2014, 12:35 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Fayetteville is better then Durham!
In what way?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:58 PM

129 posts, read 186,495 times
Quote:
Fayetteville is better then Durham!
Maybe if your idea of family fun is strip clubs.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
Maybe if your idea of family fun is strip clubs.
Lol,
Read-
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...yeteville.html

And i think strip clubs are a perfect opportunity for fathers and sons to know what exactly they have in common.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
Quote:
Lol,
Read-
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...yeteville.html

And i think strip clubs are a perfect opportunity for fathers and sons to know what exactly they have in common.
I'm going to tell your Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina