Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 AM

145 posts, read 849,393 times

Advertisements

We just moved from NJ to Hickory 2 mos ago and love it!
Our expression for the move we made is:
"Feets, don't fail me now!!"
Hickory is a great place to live and work.
Nope, don't miss NJ AT ALL, except for my family and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I agree about the research...I am doing a lot of it and look forward to my first scouting trip!

Good luck all!!
Do a lot of it, but remember something.....when you feel that your head starts spinning 100 miles/hr, get up and walk away from the computer. You need that to regroup your thoughts.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
Default Not sure yet about NC

My wife and I recently relocated to the Piedmont Triad area of NC from S. FL. I am originally from Long Island, NY. Everyone we have met in the 5 months that we have been here has been very nice and friendly, and we have a beautiful new home that we wouldn't have been able to afford in S. FL or NY. We really love the area, the scenery, and the people, BUT...

In 5 months, neither my wife nor I have been hired for a job. We both have considerable experience in our chosen professions (I am a Systems Engineer and my wife is an Interior Designer). We have both been on many interviews that seemed to go well, but nothing comes of it. Now we are planning to open a franchised business, since we are not finding work otherwise. I have called and met with a couple of commercial Realtors about available storefronts. They seemed interested in having our store and are very friendly. When I called back for more info the next day, neither one of them returned my phone call. I have left multiple messages, but nothing. I am trying not to read anything into this and hope it is just coincidence, but I am starting to get the feeling that people here aren't accepting us. We are both clean, professional people sincerely interested in being part of the community and good neighbors, but we are having a tough time here. By the way, I am Caucasian and my wife is Asian, so I am not sure if that is freaking people out here. It doesn't outwardly appear to be an issue, and this area is very racially integrated. I am hoping to find out, before I open a store here, if there really is a problem or I am just being paranoid. Has anyone else experienced this treatment here?

Old 11-04-2006, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 39,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToNC View Post
I have called and met with a couple of commercial Realtors about available storefronts. They seemed interested in having our store and are very friendly. When I called back for more info the next day, neither one of them returned my phone call. I have left multiple messages, but nothing.
You must keep reminding yourself that generally people in the south are not in a rush to do anything & I think that is part of the charm. Many cannot understand why us Northerners are in a rush about [i]everything.[i] The pace is very different than what us NY/NJ people are used to.

I wouldn't take it personally, I think it is just a cultural difference.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:22 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
By the way, I am Caucasian and my wife is Asian, so I am not sure if that is freaking people out here. It doesn't outwardly appear to be an issue, and this area is very racially integrated. I am hoping to find out, before I open a store here, if there really is a problem or I am just being paranoid. Has anyone else experienced this treatment here?[/quote]

I'm Caucasian and my Wife is Vietnamese. We had a number of negative experiences in the S NC area, namely south of Hendersonville to a point where we woudn't consider a purchase there.

We started considering NW Hickory and were wondering if it was more of the same there.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:58 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43 View Post
Do a lot of it, but remember something.....when you feel that your head starts spinning 100 miles/hr, get up and walk away from the computer. You need that to regroup your thoughts.
Excellent advice! I feel like my head is spinning right now. Too much info...too little time to take it all in....

Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 AM

108 posts, read 374,252 times
Krusklan, where do you live that the school is bad? I have a 4 year old to think about before I move up there. I was thinking of Greensboro, Hickory, or Mooresville. Asheville would be best but here how difficult it is to get a job. Anywhere with rolling hills or something close to mountains would be great!
I love cool weather and do mind a 'mix of different states' together. I love to hike.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:46 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
..but you deffinitely won't be feeling like you are "on vacation every day" too long afer moving here. (unless you are talking about a resort area in the beach or mountains or something like that)...
What makes it feel like vacation is that after you unpack, you hae lots of time on your hands! You have very little that you "must do" in your free time. You haven't made friends yet, you are not on a million committees. You do not have the overstuffed schedule you had. Unless you are truly "type a " it takes time to overbook yourself again!

I have consciously tried to keep our schedule sane!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
Default Loving It!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will love it down here. I just moved my family from Newark, NJ (July 2006) and they love it. At first my children did not want to move, but now they do not want to leave Raleigh. The weather, the cost of living (my car insurance is $2,000 less), etc. The only draw back is I can not find any cool gear for my kids (smile). Other than that you will love it.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
What makes it feel like vacation is that after you unpack, you hae lots of time on your hands! You have very little that you "must do" in your free time. You haven't made friends yet, you are not on a million committees. You do not have the overstuffed schedule you had. Unless you are truly "type a " it takes time to overbook yourself again!

I have consciously tried to keep our schedule sane!
I also think many of the people moving here are really looking for a change of lifestyle. So there's an effort to do exactly what you're saying, NYer. Consciously working on quality of life. I haven't personally overscheduled myself, but even with friends, church activities, and just the normal business of raising 3 little ones, I feel less stressed out-giving more time to my kids and what's important and not obsessing over ridiculous schedules.

In hindsight, I guess I could have done that in NJ-but for some reason didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina