Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:11 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times

Advertisements

This is not a NC issue, but a issue that is happening across the nation, setting up public schools to erode to set up charters.

The Corporate Takeover of Public Education*|*Diann Woodard

Quote:
Independent research in recent months has documented that the nation's wealthiest philanthropic foundations are steering funding away from public school systems, attended by 90 percent of American students, and toward "challengers" to public education, especially charter schools.
Education Week recently reported that at the start of the decade, less than a quarter of K-12 giving from top foundations was given to groups supporting charter schools and privatization, about $90 million in all.
By 2010, $540 million -- fully 64 percent of major foundation giving -- was directed to these private groups, including KIPP, Teach for America, the NewSchools Venture Fund, the Charter School Growth Fund, and the D.C. Public Education Fund.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/us...inds.html?_r=0

Quote:
Although charter schools engender fierce debate — most recently over ballot measures in Georgia and Washington State — their ranks are growing rapidly, according to a new report. Between 2010-11 and 2011-12, the number of students in charter schools increased close to 13 percent, to just over two million.The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, a nonprofit advocacy group, released the report on Wednesday. It showed that in some cities, charter schools — which are publicly financed but privately operated — enroll a significant proportion of public school students.
4 ways privatization is ruining our education system - Salon.com

Quote:
The recently updated CREDO study at Stanford revealed that while charters have made progress since 2009, their performance is about the same as that of public schools. The differences are, in the words of the National Education Policy Center, “so small as to be regarded, without hyperbole, as trivial.” Furthermore, the four-year improvement demonstrated by charters may have been due to the closing of schools that underperformed in the earlier study, and also by a variety of means to discourage the attendance of lower-performing students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Simply put, uneducated people are easier to manipulate and control.
Mama says she thinks these guys want everybody dumb. So they'll get votes.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But, I do suspect that the reason they pass archaic social laws, refuse to expand Medicaid, etc are to drive away "progressive" and other traditionally Democratic demographics. Make life more difficult for poor people and hope they move to a state that's friendlier to them = fewer Dem voters. Pass mean-spirited anti-gay laws and hope the gays, a Democratic "base", move elsewhere. Pass laws restricting freedoms relating to women's health issues, hope women move somewhere else, or think twice about coming here. Cut taxes for the super-rich, and entice rich folks to move here since they are often Republicans.
I have to take pause as I ponder this utopia. Imagine the state completely filled with only rich republican guys. No women at all, no gays, no middle class, no poor, just the oligarchs.

It would be pretty funny. Nobody paying any taxes, nobody would work the restaurants or the stores, nobody would do any home repairs or landscaping.

With no taxes being paid, nobody would repair roads. I imagine the legislature could close up shop, as there would be nothing to do ... besides, they wouldn't want to work for free, so they might as well move out if state along with everyone else they pushed away.

But they would have their utopia:-)

Anyway, just fantasizing here. Sorry.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Ahh. So instead of this topic being about education it's yet another "I hate Republicans" topic.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ahh. So instead of this topic being about education it's yet another "I hate Republicans" topic.
No, this is a thread about what the republican controlled GA is doing to public education. Some people aren't fans.

Feel free to defend them, if you can.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 03-03-2015 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 12:12 PM
pvs

Quote:
As I understand it, you are not in favor of EITHER party. At least that is the way you've advertised yourself. You purportedly like to "call-out" wrongdoing and waste by whomever is in doing it, regardless of party affiliation, from either side of the aisle. I hope I understood you correctly from those posts I read several months ago, as this is a stance I am in total agreement with.

So I do not understand why you would be against a POV, only because it might shed unfavorable light on a particular party. I see that the links posted above, in Post #11 are all to left-leaning media. Do you have alternative views on charter schools, and the de-funding of public schools, that show these agendas as good things? Please don't just shoot down the way the thread is going, as you did in the quoted post ... please add your stance to the argument, and defend it with backup.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
.... Please don't just shoot down the way the thread is going, as you did in the quoted post ... please add your stance to the argument, and defend it with backup.
I have yet to see a compelling argument made. That requires real data such as test scores, actual funding levels, graduation rates, data of jobs related to said changes.

I have seen two theories stated that are given as factual arguments. These would be:
  1. The current GA hates education and seeks strangle it with funding cuts.
  2. Use incentive bribery to lure jobs and people here trained in other states.

i.e. The GA only looks out for the rich.
Neither is true of course. Education is an extremely complex subject that covers much more these days than just the 3 Rs as it once did. Therefore any real discussion should first set some real bounds on what is being discussed, avoid gross generalizations, and leave out the political angle.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a compelling argument made. That requires real data such as test scores, actual funding levels, graduation rates, data of jobs related to said changes.
So we should just sit around and wait to see if the current GA policies actually do run public schools into a ditch from which it may take years to recover?

No thanks.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
So we should just sit around and wait to see if the current GA policies actually do run public schools into a ditch from which it may take years to recover?

No thanks.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I was hoping Waldo had some interesting links that might bring up an alternative and opposing POV. Waldo has indeed found some very interesting links for me in the past, and I had hoped he {?} had something here.

No, I don't feel the answer is to wait until we have employment data on today's kindergarteners so that we can compare (and debate), which education method was better.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
No, I don't feel the answer is to wait until we have employment data on today's kindergarteners so that we can compare (and debate), which education method was better.
You didn't ask me what you should do, and I wouldn't answer such a question.

You asked me to provide input and I answered as to why I would not. You can debate web links all you like as that isn't my call.

I will add this however. Americans as a whole are not ready to address the real issues that are causing a decline in education. A real discussion on fixing it, will involve questions that people are not even willing to ask (or answer). Until that changes, throwing money at the schools won't change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina