Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 AM

5 posts, read 8,957 times

Advertisements

I've been reading all of the threads on here that I could find regarding Southern Pines but I still have a few questions.

I am considering moving to the area for the winters with my horses and then fully retiring in 5-6 years. My questions are:

1. Crime-I've read some posts that state the crime rates are high while others say it is low. What is the truth?

2. Fracking- is it happening or not?

3. For those with horses- Do you have to haul away the manure or can you spread and compost on your land?

4. How friendly are the folks? I know everyone is different but I'm looking for general ideas.

5. Are there better parts of town for horses? Should I consider other towns? I want to be close to shops and store while having some of my own land.

Any other info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:34 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyrider222 View Post
1. Crime-I've read some posts that state the crime rates are high while others say it is low. What is the truth?

I'll only address these two questions. The last news I see is that the legislature has lifted the moritorium, and the door is open for fracking in Lee, Moore and Chatham Counties. If that is a deal-breaker for you, perhaps you should start looking elsewhere. Ref. this article from March 16, 2015: As NC fracking moratorium lifts, Lee County awaits wildcatters | News and Observer News and Observer

Crime rates for the city limits of Southern Pines are slightly higher than the national average at 382 versus 301 on the C-D crime index. If you are miles outside the city limits on 10-20 acres, I don't think you will see much crime. I assume you will be looking for acreage in Moore County, rather than within city limits. City profile with crime figures is here: //www.city-data.com/city/Southe...-Carolina.html

If you are looking at other options, you might consider the Aiken, SC area. Other parts of Moore County, NC like Carthage are discussed in this past thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...-carthage.html

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-06-2015 at 05:43 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
I've been reading all of the threads on here that I could find regarding Southern Pines but I still have a few questions.

I am considering moving to the area for the winters with my horses and then fully retiring in 5-6 years. My questions are:
Quote:
Here's the crime stats for Southern Pines from City-Data:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Notice this is very specific to Southern Pines itself, not the surrounding communities, which appear to have much lower crime rates.

Quote:
Currently? No. In the future? No one knows.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Currently? No. In the future? No one knows.
Yeah, fracking will happen if they can make money. But no one really knows how much product is below ground and how much it would cost to extract. There might be better answers in 5-6 years.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
The "Sandhills" area (Southern Pines/Pinehurst "metro" area) is a wonderful place for horses as well as for golf and retirees. Lots of equine-centered veterinarians there--my niece owns Foundation Equine and she has several horses of her own. You might enjoy the touching story of Hope, the Wonder Horse in that vicinity.

Don't get so hung up on "crime rates" (which you can search online and are not high anyway--not sure where you heard SP had a high crime rate). Have you visited the area? Spending a few days there will assuage your worries about crime; in general it's a peaceful area catering mostly to affluent retirees but particularly golf and horses. My dad has lived in that area for 20 years.

There are tons of horse farms outside "town" in the area; also know that addresses such as Aberdeen, Pinehurst, West End, etc are all in the same "Sandhills" area and you should not get hung up on Southern Pines specifically. I am presuming you have visited the area; how else would you be thinking of moving there?

It is probably the most horse-centric area in NC, that's for sure.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 8,957 times
Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I have visited Southern Pines and love it which is why I'm considering the move. I'm looking for inside information from those that currently live there or are in the area.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
We have a lot of Mini horse farms (5 acres min.) in Jackson Springs in Moore co. we are 7 miles West of the Pinehurst village and about 13 miles West of Southern Pines. Right on the edge of simi rural and rural.

Here are some properties in this area.

Moore County, North Carolina land, lots, ranches and farms for sale

Old 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Southern Pines is not hugely dangerous. It has 2 apartment complexes that are low income, AKA the projects, so that's surely where the higher crime rate is coming from. The projects are across the street from each other on Morganton Rd near the armory, so pretty well removed from the rest of the towns. Some of the hoodrats that live there will indeed sometimes cause problems in town, in the form of robbery or home invasions. They may shoot each other in town as well. Luckily that doesn't happen often. But when it does, well hopefully you're just not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just stay away from the projects. If you do that, your chances of being the victim of a crime are about the same as anywhere USA if not lower.

FYI I did live in those projects for about a year. I lost count of the gunshots I heard and saw 4 dead bodies in my time there...one in my front yard and one behind my car, 2 down the road. Not a fun place to be...so just stay away from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina