Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 26,885 times

Advertisements

Hi. Moving from Boston to Charlotte at the end of August. Working on getting a few moving quotes to start to plan, financially. Moving from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 1 bedroom apartment. Nothing too difficult -- standard furniture in living room, bed room, dining area (800 square feet), no storage stuff, no appliances, nothing else like that. Did a detailed inventory list on Gentle Giant and was given a quote of $8100.00. Does this seem astronomically high to anyone else?! $860 of it does seem to be for ... a 'shuttle service' if the 18-wheeler can't get near my apartment door ($760) (which won't be needed) and a crate for a 42" TV ($100). $280 for $40,000 coverage. So, I might be about to knock $800 off. But the rest - Fuel charge of $518. Transporation from Boston to Charlotte $6,485. So around at least $7000. They estimate my stuff will weigh 5600 pounds.

I moved about the same stuff from MO to MA in 1999 for $3800. I know it's a few years later, but this can't be right. Didn't save my moving slip (Atlas), so unsure how many pounds I had then.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable. It's a ... 1 bedroom apartment. I'm willing to pack and unpack everything myself. Just need them to show up, wrap furniture and mattress, moving everything out, drive to NC, move everything in, and I'll unpack everything. I don't expect stuff to be free, but I was thinking it'd be $4000-$4500 at the most.

Thoughts? Anyone have any other moving company suggestions?

Thank you!

Last edited by GR623; 05-26-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 AM

756 posts, read 836,388 times
Hi, we moved in 2010 from a 4 BR single family home in Hudson MA to a 3rd floor 3 BR apartment Cary NC. We used Roadrunner and it was about $6100. Great guys, great service etc and we highly recommend them.

I know it was almost 5 yrs ago now so not sure if prices have increased so much but for much less stuff than we brought with us, I do think they estimated you pretty high.

If Roadrunner is still around maybe give them a call? Best to you!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 AM

Thanks, I will look into them today. We're also going to consider getting another quote to have a mover just move our big furniture only, and we move everything else in a 6X12 UHaul trailer. The trailer is about $1000, so if we can get a decent quote for moving the furniture, maybe I can keep it at or a little under $5,000.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
I've had good luck using Uship. You put your move requirements on the site, and movers bid on your business.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:40 AM

Cool, thanks Carolina. We may have a few things to move that way. What I think we're going to do is just have Gentle Giant move our big furniture, and we move the other stuff via a UHaul trailer and something like uShip (books and things like that which aren't fragile). GG got the bid down to 2500 lbs or roughly $4k. That is totally doable. They are a bit more expensive because they're independent, don't subcontract, etc. etc. I feel good (or at least better) about all of this. Thank you for your help and suggestions! I did call Road Runner this morning. They were great to deal with over the phone. However, they are booked solid (a good sign) the last week of August. Which is why I began calling this week, even though it's 3 months out.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Since it's only a 1br, pack everything yourself. Get a few friends to help load up heavy stuff. An hour or two should be all that's needed for a 1br.

I moved from NC to the Midwest with a 1br apartment for around $1000. I rented a Penske truck, drove it myself, and towed my car on a trailer. I think the truck was around $900, and the gas was around $100.

Any other option you use will cost significantly more.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Since it's only a 1br, pack everything yourself. Get a few friends to help load up heavy stuff. An hour or two should be all that's needed for a 1br.

Any other option you use will cost significantly more.
Yes, and significantly more work. And who would help unload everything?

Not to be snarky, but do you really think the OP isn't aware that it would be cheaper to move him/her self, as opposed to hiring movers?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Yes, and significantly more work. And who would help unload everything?

Not to be snarky, but do you really think the OP isn't aware that it would be cheaper to move him/her self, as opposed to hiring movers?
It sounded like OP was looking for someone to load, unload, and drive the truck. I could understand doing that for a house, but a 1br apartment really isn't too bad. My wife and I loaded up a 16' Penske truck from a 2br apartment in about 2-3 hours, taking breaks every so often.

When I was moving into my new place, I saw a posting on the bulletin board in our building for moving help through some church. Two guys showed up and helped for an hour. I donated $75 to their church. Much cheaper than hiring movers.

Craigslist is also an option (but be careful) or also finding help through a new place of employment.

When I moved before, I had a fellow city-data member assist.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:22 AM

16 posts, read 20,549 times
@GR623 - I'm in the same position, boston area to NC.. RoadRunner said they are seeing record moves from this area to the NC area (must have been this last winter!). They estimated $5400-$6200 for a 4850-5450 lbs, which I thought was pretty decent. That of course is us doing the pre-packing. Luckily I'm somewhat flexible on the move date and they can pencil us in. I'm also almost 3 months out, thank god I checked now and didn't wait.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
We're using ABF U-Pack with a trailer (16 linear feet of space + a month of storage) and it will cost us less than $2K to go from Boston to Charlotte. You only pay for the space you use though, so if we pack tighter, we would pay less.

They also do the pod thing which is great for apartments as they are designed to fit into a parking space.

You're given up to 3 business days to load (if you book time to run over a weekend that's up to 5 days) then the same on the other end to unload.

For $8K you could sell and get rid of most of your furniture and stuff and buy brand new down there.

Oh, and because we want to ensure everything is packed tight and securely, we hired help from movinghelp.com for 2 guys at $90 an hour to load for us. Well worth the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina