Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,613 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We currently live in Wisconsin and have the opportunity to move to North Carolina. My Wife's parents accepted a new job somewhere around the Hertford County area and will be moving down there this year. Our family includes my me, my Wife and our Daughter (2yo). I will be finishing a Bachelor degree in Computer Science in the next year and will be pursuing entry level work in that field. I currently do factory work for the time being. We are interested in moving there as well to be close as a family. If I could find similar pay to what I make here we would move when they move down, but otherwise we would wait until my degree is completed before making the move.

My Wife and I are interested in seeing what types of opportunities would be available for us around that area. We are looking for a family safe area to continue to grow and raise our family. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I didn't see the greatest information about the Hertford County area.

Any other information would be appreciated so we can do some more research and see if this would be a good option for us or not.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 05:43 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,165,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreelc View Post
My Wife's parents accepted a new job somewhere around the Hertford County area and will be moving down there this year..... I will be finishing a Bachelor degree in Computer Science in the next year and will be pursuing entry level work in that field. I currently do factory work for the time being.....
There is very little employment in Hertford County. It is very rural and impoverished. I suggest you could look for computer-related jobs in the Norfolk/Portsmouth area of Virginia. There is a lot of government work, ship-building etc. You could still live in a rural area like Suffolk or Chesapeake.

Otherwise, your options for finding professional work would be in the Raleigh/Durham/RTP area, or possible Greenville, NC.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:09 PM

261 posts, read 382,326 times
Yeah, Hertford County is extremely rural, isolated and economically distressed. Where exactly are your in-laws moving?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There is very little employment in Hertford County. It is very rural and impoverished. I suggest you could look for computer-related jobs in the Norfolk/Portsmouth area of Virginia. There is a lot of government work, ship-building etc. You could still live in a rural area like Suffolk or Chesapeake.

Otherwise, your options for finding professional work would be in the Raleigh/Durham/RTP area, or possible Greenville, NC.

Thanks for that information. Are there any areas you could recommend in the research triangle park area as I have been seeing that is a good area for computer science related jobs. We prefer being in more of a country area, but still close enough to everything if that makes sense. We definitely do not want to live in a city. Peace and quiet, safe and family friendly would be ideal.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Yeah, Hertford County is extremely rural, isolated and economically distressed. Where exactly are your in-laws moving?
Thank you as this confirms what I have been seeing while doing research on the area. I am not exactly sure on the city name at the moment, but I do know it is somewhere in this area.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreelc View Post
Are there any areas you could recommend in the research triangle park area as I have been seeing that is a good area for computer science related jobs. We prefer being in more of a country area, but still close enough to everything if that makes sense.
I'd suggest you search for the best job in your field, regardless of whether it is in Durham, Raleigh, Morrisville, Cary or Chapel Hill. Then decide where to live. You can normally go outward 20-25 miles from an office park and find the country.

I see that you daughter is too young for school, but the best schools are in Wake County (surrounding Raleigh and Cary). Most of Wake County is suburban, rather than true rural. So, I recommend you look at living in Wake County if you find a job there. The more rural areas like Orange, Chatham and Johnston Counties also have some decent schools.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Another thought. After you finish your degree, you might look at jobs in the Richmond Virginia area. There are a couple of places where you could combine your factory experience with computer science. For example, Altria (Phillip Morris) is a highly automated factory, and the Army and DLA have computerized warehouses.

Richmond and Chesterfield County are very pleasant places to live, and you could still be only a 2 or 3 hour drive to your wife's parents' home.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:09 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,887,955 times
Rural NC and Rural Wisconsin are two entirely different places. Keep in mind there is virtually zero regulation in the rural areas of NC....even though the State Legislature has allowed county zoning since 1959, most counties have yet to enact much if any. Many folks describe it as a wasteland.

The towns and cities are in better shape, but in places like Hertford County they are still poor. Murfreesboro is a nice small town, because of its history and Chowan College located there. But its REAL small.

Hertford Co is considered to have one of the worst school districts in the State, the more affluent use Ridgecroft...

http://ridgecroftschool.org/about-us-2/

I would definitely get your degree first and then move down wherever you find a job. You may decide though to ditch your desire to live in a rural setting once you see the landscape.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,878,320 times
I would suggest you get a map and research how desolate the Hertford county area is--it's the poorest part of the state. Elizabeth City is the closest "big" town nearby, though as others say, the "Tidewater" area of Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach) is the metro that serves that area of NC. You could live somewhere in between the two that would still be pretty rural, but not "Hertford county" rural.

Or, somewhere closer to Greenville, which is to the South/east of Hertford. Frankly I'm surprised that your relatives found any kind of job there worth moving for--have they seen the area? I'm guess the job is in Ahoskie or Murfreesboro. Not hating on it (I am originally from a neighboring county, which is how I know how "dried up" that part of the state is).

Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,887,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I would suggest you get a map and research how desolate the Hertford county area is--it's the poorest part of the state. Elizabeth City is the closest "big" town nearby, though as others say, the "Tidewater" area of Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach) is the metro that serves that area of NC. You could live somewhere in between the two that would still be pretty rural, but not "Hertford county" rural.

Or, somewhere closer to Greenville, which is to the South/east of Hertford. Frankly I'm surprised that your relatives found any kind of job there worth moving for--have they seen the area? I'm guess the job is in Ahoskie or Murfreesboro. Not hating on it (I am originally from a neighboring county, which is how I know how "dried up" that part of the state is).
There is a Nucor Steel Plant in Hertford County...I'd be willing to be that is it....or Chowan University.

http://nucorhertford.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina