Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM

56 posts, read 238,775 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Charlotte from the Pacific NW. Someone has recently told that NC has lots of spiders and bugs. What can I expect? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemom View Post
Our family is relocating to Charlotte from the Pacific NW. Someone has recently told that NC has lots of spiders and bugs. What can I expect? Thanks!
Well, in comparison to some other locations, perhaps. I think that's the key phrase, here. We have some Floridians here who mock our lack of bugs compared to that state. I worked with a fellow who was from Denver, CO. He went out to the smoking dock one warm summer night, saw one of our local creepy crawlies (I think it was a June Bug flying around), and was ready to move back that very night He came from a non-buggy location and wasn't prepared for our other native species.

NC has bugs. We have a wide variety of bugs. But it's not like you're going to be swarmed when you move here. If you have pets, make a visit to your vet a first priority when you get here. They can line you up with what you'll need to deal with ticks and fleas. And be sure to get them started on heart worm pills. That parasite is spread via mosquitoes - the profusion of which will depend on where you move. Some parts of the state have problems with fire ants. Every few years, in the winter, we have an issue with an Asian beetle - looks kind of like a pale Lady Bug - getting in the house. In the fall, you might encounter our large yellow 'n black garden spider.

Bugs are just one of the differences transplants will have to get used to, if they move from an area where they weren't. Same with hurricanes, droughts that are beginning to occur with dismaying regularity, and learning to specify sweet or un-sweetened ice tea at restaurants

Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 AM

305 posts, read 1,808,217 times
I have a cat. I'm now delirious that I have a cat. Here in PA she brings me dead mice, moles, snakes, and baby bunnies (which breaks my heart).

At least I now know (after reading these snake articles) that when we move down to NC she'll be our first defense against snakes and other critters.

I'll just have to be very tick conscious for her. But I already use a strong flea and tick medicine on her every 3 weeks because she's pretty much an outdoor cat with really long hair!

And, I'm going to hire a monthly bug guy to spray. No doubt about that!

Thanks Sunny (I think) for all those links. I read each and every one. I'm totally creeped out, but got a lot of information. More than I wanted, for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina