Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM

284 posts, read 269,518 times

Advertisements

I posted in the Triad area because I'm not very good with geography and that seemed like the right area to post lol.

My original post:

Not sure if this is in the right area but I just found out my husband's job has a plant in Reidsville. We've wanted to go down south for awhile now but jobs always got in the way lol. Now with there possibly being a chance, it might become a reality. Background, we're both from upstate NY, NOT the city. Hate the city. Our school system is rated a 2 (horrible I know) I feel pretty safe in my little town but there are no jobs here. It's a very depressed town with a median income of $18,000. Most people are on government assistance. I'm very lucky and I work for a big company and I can probably wind up transferring as well. We have 2 children, 7 and 2.

We would love a family friendly area, preferably with parks and things of that nature. It would be nice to be in a community with a pool. We'd be looking to buy definitely. We pay HOAs now as we live in a townhouse so I probably won't mind paying them as long as the amount isn't crazy. For the new place though, we don't want a townhouse whatsoever. The prices of houses don't shock me at all as I'm from NY and about 20 minutes away from me now in the neighboring county, taxes are on average about $9000 a year. My taxes are $5000 with no land. My cap is about $1500 a month mortgage(escrow inc) and a 15 year mortgage, not 30 years. I feel like I could get a great house for that amount.

I'm definitely a suburb person and I don't mind cookie cutter houses either. I just want a decent childhood for my kids and to be happy =)

Looking at no more than a 35 minute commute from Reidsville, as that is what my husband's commute is now.

I've been trying to do some research on the area but data to me means very little compared to real life experience. It seems like Northwest Guilford schools have the best rating? I don't need 9/10 ratings just a safe decent school. I don't know what charter schools are really.. we don't have any around here.

Very important, we need medical personnel somewhat close to. My daughter has Type1 diabetes and sees a pediatric endocrinologist 4 times a year.

Thanks in advance and OOPS if I posted this in the wrong section!

.............Did I post in the right area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
The Triad sub-forum is indeed the correct place to post your inquiry.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:33 PM

261 posts, read 380,685 times
Yes, the Oak Ridge and Summerfield areas are where you should look to live. Northern Guilford High School and Northwest Guilford High School. Reidsville is pretty similar to where you are now in many ways. Hospitals close by in Greensboro and Kernersville.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM

Summerfield is at the top of my list. It won't cost that much less to live there than where I'm at now. As far as NC goes, Summerfield seems like it has high taxes...again $3000 is nothing compared to NY lol. In your opinion, is the higher cost of living worth the school district or is there something comparable that might be cheaper? I looked at the livability app and Summerfield was rated 78 and the ONLY area it did poor in was Cost of Living because it's higher than the state average. Where I live, we're rated a 68 because we suck in most categories.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
Summerfield is at the top of my list. It won't cost that much less to live there than where I'm at now. As far as NC goes, Summerfield seems like it has high taxes...again $3000 is nothing compared to NY lol. In your opinion, is the higher cost of living worth the school district or is there something comparable that might be cheaper? I looked at the livability app and Summerfield was rated 78 and the ONLY area it did poor in was Cost of Living because it's higher than the state average. Where I live, we're rated a 68 because we suck in most categories.
Summerfield's property tax rate is very low. The combined county, fire district and Summerfield taxes are 88.75 cents per $100 of valuation. The annual tax bill on a $300,000 house would be about $2,600 a year.

Taxes aren't going to vary much between Summerfield and Oak Ridge. Just focus on finding a house you like and can afford.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Oh yes, I agree the tax rate is low. I'm just saying I believe it's higher than a lot of the other towns in NC. Maybe house prices in Summerfield on a whole are higher than Greensboro and that's why taxes are higher? Whatever the case may be, it's still a lot less than if I were to buy the same house here. A 2000 sq ft house on any amount of land, in a decent school district in my neighboring county, guaranteed $9000 in taxes. It's crazy

Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM

And where are the places I should definitely avoid?

Old 03-08-2016, 04:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
As others have said, your questions will get better answers in the Triad forum. Also, more people will read it if you title your thread something related to the topic, rather than "Did I post in the right area?"

Old 03-08-2016, 05:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As others have said, your questions will get better answers in the Triad forum. Also, more people will read it if you title your thread something related to the topic, rather than "Did I post in the right area?"
She did post the same thing in the Triad forum, but oddly enough, all responses so far have been on this thread and not the one that's in the right place. Maybe a Mod could merge the two threads.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
In Summerfield and Oak Ridge? You'll know them when you see them. If you're in an established neighborhood, there won't be any to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina