Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 04:47 PM

398 posts, read 498,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I think it is very likely a miscalculation that could backfire on them, because of the nature of youth turnout in this state on presidential election years. Democrats could very well end up sweeping every statewide race, just like 2008. When democrats can get out the vote, they win here. There are objectively more of them, and the democrats in this state are much closer to the US average of the party in their views than the more conservative coalition that made up the party in the 80s and 90s.
Even assuming that happens (and I don't think there is a snowballs chance of it happening), what impact would it have? Due to redistricting, the general assembly will still have a veto proof majority, so they will continue to ramrod their agenda through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times
Quote:
PayPal is cancelling plans for Charlotte hub because of HB2. Story to follow on Charlotte Observer's website.
https://twitter.com/DeonERoberts/sta...52851610185728

Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Who couldn't have predicted this? North Carolina will not only keep digging, they'll add shovels. Well done electing McCrory and his midnight crusaders. This was never about bathrooms.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 AM

530 posts, read 638,196 times
That PayPal announcement is real jobs being taken away from North Carolina. Incredibly sad to see, but I am proud of them for taking such a strong stand.

Hopefully actions like this will force the state government to see reason.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,376 times
I will say that the Republicans in this state have the worst media relations ever.

Add on the News and Observer and the Charlotte Observer everyday reporting negative information on the law. Its almost funny to see them report every single business that voices opposition. And the thinly veiled attempt to intimidate those who support it.

However a TWC poll showed 51% of NC supports the law.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I will say that the Republicans in this state have the worst media relations ever.

Add on the News and Observer and the Charlotte Observer everyday reporting negative information on the law. Its almost funny to see them report every single business that voices opposition. And the thinly veiled attempt to intimidate those who support it.

However, a TWC poll showed 51% of NC supports the law.
I think that is the same poll they showed with many others regarding this bill on Capitol Tonight. I try to watch that show nightly and feel Tim Boyum is a great unbias anchor.
I ponder on the polls though as he stated 600 responded.
So if it was fairly accurate that means 200 respondents for each party, that is about as accurate as city-data poll.

It going to be interesting how this plays out when the legislators reconvene since the outside fallout seems to be growing relating to economics which all of us loose in time regardless and also ponder if it going to be a political issue this election as social issue fears to drive up voters over what else impacting our state.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
That PayPal announcement is real jobs being taken away from North Carolina. Incredibly sad to see, but I am proud of them for taking such a strong stand.

Hopefully actions like this will force the state government to see reason.
All the while, PayPal expands into Cuba, a country known for its human rights infringements. There's much more to the story than what is being given to us. I would bet there is much more at play than simply the HB2.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
I was thinking back to 2015 when Charlotte's council first voted on their ordinance and remember the parade of people who spoke against it based on the whole bathroom issue. I remember seeing video of speakers that ran the gamut from well spoken but fearful citizens, some very anti-gay preachers, tearful and scared women, etc. Essentially, it was a mixture of voices that were mostly against the bathroom provision. Clearly there was a common fear that existed.
After all speakers had finished and after council discussion, an amendment was offered and accepted to remove the bathroom provision. That amendment was supported by the council members who were against the ordinance. One might presume that those against the amendment were against it due to the bathroom issue. However, when the ordinance came to a vote of the full council after the amendment that removed the bathroom provision, it did not receive any additional votes but it did lose two votes that were previously for it. The new votes against were due to the exclusion. The yielding and changes by the majority of the council did not result in a compromise ordinance.
Given that the amendment offered from the left did not yield a compromise ordinance with the right, it's reasonable to deduce that the bathroom issue was only a ploy to create panic among citizens and prevent the human rights' ordinance from extending any discrimination protection to the greater LGBT community. It's also safe to presume that the same tactic was used on the state level with HB2.

If I am incorrect about this recollection and voting history, please correct me. This is just what I remember going down at the time.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

However a TWC poll showed 51% of NC supports the law.
So its the Republican media relations department that created this fall out? lololol

And losing Paypal is significant. That was real money and jobs, lost.

And what significant business has supported it? Maybe the opposition is getting a voice because it has a larger impact.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
So its the Republican media relations department that created this fall out? lololol

And losing Paypal is significant. That was real money and jobs, lost.

And what significant business has supported it? Maybe the opposition is getting a voice because it has a larger impact.
Pshaw! Dale's window cleaning service in Stanley has issued a press release supporting HB2! He employs three people if you count his mother in law who weighs goats offered for trade! Also supporting HB2:

Graham's Free Christian Library (Charlotte)
Dixie Land Contractors (Glade Valley)
Vera's Nail Salon of Newton
Bubba's Carbeurator Repair (Rockwell)
AND
Mary's Christian Bookstore over there in Caesar

These are some heavy hitters folks! Their gross sales last fiscal year were almost SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS COMBINED!! And these businesses have employees, it don't matter one whit that they're all kin, it's JOBS!!1!1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina