Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 03:19 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,126,242 times

Advertisements

This whole thing is really causing issues. Businesses are leaving, concerts are being cancelled, gov't officials are being banned from going to NC and more. I understand the reasoning behind it but who really is going to enforce it? I understand LGBT as well. To me, it's just a big waste of money and time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Where are you right? If the legislature had ignored it, nothing would have happened!
.....and if a few people in Charlotte hadn't pushed through a dumb law, there wouldn't have been HB2.

Again what businesses were not coming here prior to the Charlotte ordinance? NONE.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:32 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,274,461 times
>Sources say 9 groups were in talks to bring their convention to Charlotte, but won't b/c of HB2. That's 12,231 room nights.

https://twitter.com/MollyGrantham/st...22169874128896

Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,274,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
.....and if a few people in Charlotte hadn't pushed through a dumb law, there wouldn't have been HB2.

Again what businesses were not coming here prior to the Charlotte ordinance? NONE.
Not one business would have not come, if HB2 didn't pass.

And that is just a stupid argument.

I mean, if those legislators in Raleigh were never born, it would't have passed either. What a dumb argument angle attempt.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:13 PM

294 posts, read 234,026 times
Quote:
I don't remember any businesses canceling expansion in NC or companies putting out any statements prior to Jennifer Roberts pushing that city ordinance through. There was no sense to it. This whole thing was completely avoidable, look at the source of the problem. If Roberts hadn't pushed the ordinance through, we wouldn't be here right now.

If you don't think the Repubs would not have crafted a "religious freedom" bill on their own at some point to punish the LGBT community for all their gains of late then please contact me. I have some real estate I will make you a good deal on........ This just gave them a green light to act. At some point someone is going to crack because geeeeze we are losing some money here and the repeal ball will start rolling. How deep the hole has to get is up to them......tick tick tick

Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,207,727 times
Quote:

Please show me where one business announced they were abandoning their NC business plans because of the Charotte ordinance for LGBT equality.

Because I can line up the ones that specifically stated they were cancelling plans because of HB2... This is the same line of logic that old men argue when they say the girl in a short skirt was at fault for being raped.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:21 AM

381 posts, read 278,537 times
[quote=southbound_295;43466391]Thats the irony. The religious right doesn't respect any one or any view that conflicts with their view. They pound their chests & scream that their views aren't being respected when in reality they are not respectful of others or their views. Whether it's abortion or lgbt rights, they have no respect for others. This is not new. It's been their M.O. for decades.

That's the irony.The progressive,liberal,trendy lefties don't respect anyone or any view that conflicts with their view.They pound their chest and scream that their views are not being respected when in reality they are not respectful of others or their views.Whether it's abortion or the lgbt agenda
they have no respect for other opinions.This is not new,I'ts been their M.O. for decades.

Sound familiar.We will call it even.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 AM

7,192 posts, read 6,855,833 times
Chamber CEO: HB2 may end Buncombe chance at 500 jobs

Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,506,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It seems our backwards-thinking reactionary legislature hasn't realized just how badly they may have damaged the economic engine that drives this state forward. These legislators tend to live in what I like to call the "drive-by" counties that are full of people who live on the ghosts of the past. Their once productive businesses are long gone to the third world. So now, these places are filled with the semi-permanently unemployed who long for the good ol' days. Those good ol' days aren't coming back!

If the forces that created HB2 prevail, the economic engines of this state will slow down and eventually leave. But the legislature will be happy. They really believe that Jesus, guns and $7.25 an hour make for a perfect North Carolina. Kind of like the "love child state" of West Virginia and Missisippi. Methville NC - just up ahead! Is that the best we can do?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:37 AM

678 posts, read 802,513 times
So sad. Feel bad for the folks of Charlotte who tried to be open minded and craft provisions that looked out for the oft-marginalized. Somebody please get these people out of office ASAP. I have friends and coworkers in Charlotte who are being affected. I wish Charlotte could secede from nc and become part of sc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina