Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 AM

82 posts, read 176,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
About 75% of the companies in my field have announced that they are dropping Paypal and switching to sqare as a result of PayPal's decision.
The Square that is based in San Francisco?
I think you'll find that company shares a similar non-discrimination culture as Paypal. As far as I know they haven't weighed in with their opinion of HB2, but they have commented on Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act from 2015.

https://squareup.com/news/statement-...rimination-law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Nor does poster understand that Square and PayPal are in very different segments of e-commerce and don't have much if any overlap in services provided.
I agree, no lost over PayPal, as it as about as useful as a BlackBerry or Palm Plus this state saved on incentive money that Paypal probably would have exited after they milked the state anyways like other companies such as Dell and Chiquita.

I love Square, now that is an innovative company to have in NC.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 AM

398 posts, read 498,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I agree, no lost over PayPal, as it as about as useful as a BlackBerry or Palm Plus this state saved on incentive money that Paypal probably would have exited after they milked the state anyways like other companies such as Dell and Chiquita.
Chiquita and Dell repaid their incentives.

And regardless of your opinion of of the company's "usefulness", losing Paypal is a big blow for Charlotte, and NC.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Welp, now the GOP (specifically Phil Berger and Tim Moore) is blaming Charlotte's mayor and the "far-left political correctness mob" for losing PayPal.

NC

Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM

235 posts, read 307,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Let's see...

Charlotte passed a non-discrimination law.

Then PayPal announced their North Carolina expansion.

With me so far?

Then the legislature decided that the state was going to tell cities that it couldn't pass non-discrimination laws. Yes, yes, I know the official talking point is all about the bathrooms, but the state bill is far more expansive that that.

In response to that - not to Charlotte, but to the legislature decided that city affairs are better managed at the state level than at the city level - PayPal pulled out.

The cause-and-effect here is very simple.

The fact is that business likes non-discrimination laws. In particular, tech firms love them. They want the best and the brightest, and the best and the brightest in that field tend to be young people. Most of those young people are anti-discrimination - especially the gay ones. And attracting that young talent is made all the harder for those businesses when they do their business in a place that not only allows discrimination but goes out of its way to make sure that no cities are allowed to pass anti-discrimination laws. Young talent prefers not to live in regressive areas.

It's a shame. Charlotte was properly, wisely, and profitably managing its affairs. Then the legislature stepped in.

Certain people need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. That's on them. Period.
As I posted elsewhere, I am confused by PayPal's decision... Considering they continue do business in over 20 countries in which Homosexual behavior is illegal, I wonder why they singled out North Carolina.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
As I posted elsewhere, I am confused by PayPal's decision... Considering they continue do business in over 20 countries in which Homosexual behavior is illegal, I wonder why they singled out North Carolina.
"Doing business" and operating a large operations center are not analogous. One accrues substantial benefits to the government; the other does not.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Almighty McCrory also approved a pay raise for teachers for next year in a thinly veiled attempt to have a chance of re-election by pandering to at least one of the groups he's alienated

Old 04-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
Because it's all about the "show" aspect of it and not so much anything else of substance. Like you pointed out paypal and others do biz in states and countries that have the same LGBT related legal protections. Only because NC is in the news - if GA had proposed their bill first the pile on at a national level would have been squarely on them (and they've had theirs as well). It's all for the news cycle and nothing else.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Because it's all about the "show" aspect of it and not so much anything else of substance. Like you pointed out paypal and others do biz in states and countries that have the same LGBT related legal protections. Only because NC is in the news - if GA had proposed their bill first the pile on at a national level would have been squarely on them (and they've had theirs as well). It's all for the news cycle and nothing else.
Again, there is a huge difference between offering a service to citizens of a country, and investing money into a physical location in a country.

And as an example, PayPal has a technology center in Scottsdale, AZ; a city that has passed an ordinance that prohibits discrimination in employment based on sexual orientation and gender identity. So no, its not all show and no substance. PayPal is choosing to put their money where their mouth is.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Again, there is a huge difference between offering a service to citizens of a country, and investing money into a physical location in a country.

And as an example, PayPal has a technology center in Scottsdale, AZ; a city that has passed an ordinance that prohibits discrimination in employment based on sexual orientation and gender identity. So no, its not all show and no substance. PayPal is choosing to put their money where their mouth is.
Meanwhile, exploring possibilities of expanding operations in Cuba, where members of the LGBT community are denied employment, under constant government surveillance, harassed and even imprisoned. Yeah, it sure sounds like Paypal is putting their money where their mouth is. Just don't know which side of the mouth we're speaking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina