Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 11,812 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm looking for some help. The likelihood that I will get the job in Kinston that I am currently interviewing for is high. So, I may be relocating from Chicago to the Kinston area soon. I was thinking Greenville, but I am done with sharing space with college students and that is the bulk of what I am able to find online. Does any one have any recommendations on where I can begin my housing search? Any help will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:26 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,242 times
Get a good realtor to help you find a place whether Renting or buying Kinston has some bad areas. Also for a woman (not saying we cannot handle it) but when you live alone rural you need to be very aware of what is around you and lock your doors. Be safe and enjoy being close to the beach.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:38 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Try Loretta barrows she has offices in snow hill and Greenville

Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
First off, what are you looking for? A house, trailer, apartment, duplex, condo? To ditch Greenville/Winterville just because of what you may or may not have found online isn't very smart. Like others have said, contact a realtor first.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:27 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
Look at previous threads...Kinston can be pretty rough.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 AM

OK, I am looking for an apartment, one bedroom or studio. I have read past posts about Kinston, so I have come across descriptions that include too little, if any, development; and even less to do. I have also read about the town's rough side, although little about what type of violence. Can someone tell me more about the surrounding towns? What are they like? How safe are they? Maybe this will clear up my original post.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Please reconsider. I grew up in Metro Detroit, and understand a little of what you are used to in Chicago. I also, lived in Greenville and Winterville for 7 years. While I didn't like Pitt County, I can tell you that it is eons better than Kinston.
I'd suggest Ayden before Kinston. At least you are within striking distance of civilization.
Good luck.
PM me if you like.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 PM

What was your experience with Greenville? Was it the people? The city? The lack of activity?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Yes
All of the above. The city the people the lack of activity to say nothing of the summer weather.
The people: Nice to your face, but often very different behind your back.
There is kind of a passive aggressiveness about southern culture. Of course, I have good friends from the area, but on the whole, I couldn't adjust. Also, the lack of interest in education was kind of annoying. If you "sounded" too educated, people kind of looked down on you.
The City: Tiny and mostly dead downtown. More like an expanding suburb.
No street life to speak of, except of a little strip where college kids hang out.
The lack of Activity: The only cultural activities were associated with ECU, which is why Greenville is eons better than Kinston. No major sports. Mostly a hunting and fishing culture.
Weather: Heat and Humidity are oppressive for 3 to 4 months straight. During the spring there is pine pollen (yellow dust) everywhere. You really live in your air conditioning.
But, if you want a big house on a small lot, and love BBQ and Collards, then it might be great for you.
I lived at both ends of NC over a 12 year period. It is amazing how different parts of NC are so distinct. Food, accents, traditions, temprement.....
PS-My mom still lives in the Western part of the state.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 12,087 times
Default Kinston is better than people say it is...

I was born in Kinston...and I spent about 10 years there, plus every summer until Grandmother died. Kinston is pretty good sized town, with all the amenities of a large town. Of course, it's not as large as Greenville is, but it is still a good town. It has opportunities for shopping (the city's mall is kinda dead though...I went a few weeks ago)...the downtown is quaint, especially Heritage Street, with restaurants, museums, and an ever-expanding library that is undergoing a huge expansion as I type this. Growth is sparse, but the city still provides what you need. The city is currently building a $10 million fire station downtown to provide better response. The western side of town along Highways 70 West and 258 North is ever expanding, welcoming several restaurants in the past few years like Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, Wendy's, etc. Also on that side of town are a Super Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Staples (under construction), and most of the city's car dealerships. On the south side, many of the city's hotels are located along the riverfront, as is the city's community college. On the north side are the city's plaza with 3 other strip malls including a Big K-Mart. The hospital is also in that vicinity, offering all the services of a big city hospital. And as for sports, the Kinston Indians are an affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, and the team is an awesome baseball team. They play in Grainger Stadium, 4000 seat stadium on Vernon Avenue downtown. The city has 9 chain grocery stores and several gas stations. The crime rate is average (there really is nothing to worry about). Several banks...I'm starting to make this sound like an advertisement...I know. And as for the real estate market...it's a buyer's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina