Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 AM

496 posts, read 466,754 times

Advertisements

What would be the best counties to search for property that has rolling meadows and pastureland instead of woodlands and beaches?

Also trying to decide if buying land and building or buying a house would be a better choice. Is it difficult to get septic, well, permits here? Where I live in VT we don't need a building permit for anything.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
What would be the best counties to search for property that has rolling meadows and pastureland instead of woodlands and beaches?
Where in North Carolina have you considered?

Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post

Also trying to decide if buying land and building or buying a house would be a better choice. Is it difficult to get septic, well, permits here? Where I live in VT we don't need a building permit for anything.
I am having trouble telling you where to find "rolling" meadows, so I will provide options. There is much cleared land in the eastern half of North Carolina. However, it is flat. If you are interested in flat, cleared land for a horse pasture, try Scotland, Sampson, Duplin, Wayne, Wilson or Robeson County.

Trees grow up quickly on open land, so places further west would often have to be cleared for pasture. Moore, Albemarle, Anson, or Stanly Counties will be "rolling". There are many horse lovers in Moore and Orange Counties, however, land would be expensive. Yadkin and Stokes also might have options, eg Walnut Cove, Flat Shoals and Quaker Gap in Stokes County. Also look for the piece with 51 acres and a farmhouse in Danbury, Stokes Co. Yadkin is a wine-growing region if that info. helps your search. There is a nice 30 acre piece in Yadkinville.

BTW, I don't believe it is difficult to get a septic permit. Just watch out for land that does not perk.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-10-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Far as rolling pastureland there is a lot of counties within the Foothill region, the upper counties IMO are Alexander, Allegany, Wilkes, Yadkin . Other beautiful counties but will have limited forests but rolling pasturelands within, include Burke, Rutherfordton, Caldwell, Cleveland.
google 'NC Landwatch' it will show available acreage that is available.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Geographically, NC has three basic regions, with the central third called the Piedmont (e.g. "foot of the mountain" or foothills). You can find rolling pastures basically anywhere in the Piedmont.

As for ease of dealing with permits, county health departments issue well and septic permits. County building & inspections depts issue building permits. Not all pieces of property are equally suitable for septic systems. With regard to digging a well, water tables vary. Some county departments are going to be easier to work with than others. And it can vary depending on which inspector your project is assigned. It's definitely a crapshoot.

Personally, I'd advise finding an existing house with land if at all possible. Even renovating an existing house would be less stressful than building from scratch in most cases, especially if you do not have good knowledge of local builders.

P.S.
Quote:
Moore, Albemarle, Anson, or Stanly Counties will be "rolling".
Albemarle is not a county; it's a town in Stanly County.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Rolling hills are the foothills of the mountains. NC foothills have isothermal belts where the air is up to 20 degrees warmer at night than at the base.

Tyron, Landrum, SC most of Polk county.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
What roadpony said. You want to look in the piedmont which is roughly west of I-95, but before you get to the mountains.

Maps here: Our State Geography in a Snap: Three Regions Overview | NCpedia

The further west you go within the piedmont, the more rolling. The further east you go the flatter it is. But all the piedmont has some rolling hills. The coastal plain flattens out and is flat like a pancake. The mountains are the highest in the eastern part of the US, so we've got it all.

As for pasture, all of the east coast would be a giant forest if we didn't mow. There are plenty of farms in the piedmont, but they will revert to woods if folks don't keep it cut back, graze cattle, plant hay, etc.

What else do you want in a homesite besides rolling pastureland? That might help narrow down your search field. Do you want proximity to a city, or would you rather be as far from one as you can get? Near a small town? Need a job?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM

Pretty much everywhere. I'm not locked into a specific area. Don't want to be on the coast due to hurricanes and don't want to be in the mountains. I need open space and sunshine. I get claustrophobic in the woods.

I'm noticing the pictures I'm seeing of houses for sale on the web have pretty awful lawns. Bare with patchy grass here and there.

Is the soil the issue? Clay or sand?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Thanks! I will check out those counties you mentioned.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:03 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Just looking at the wrong pictures I guess. There are plenty of nice lawns here.

We have a lot of soil types including clay. Sand is more prevalent in the coastal plain (east of I-95) and in the Sandhills (near Southern Pines, Pinehurst, down toward Rockingham).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina