Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:05 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times

Advertisements

What's happening in North Carolina is nothing new. It's just part of a growing U.S. population, which recently reached 300 million. The same thing that is happening in NC is happening all over the U.S.

States that developed first are now relatively full, and some of those people are heading to less populated states. In time, those states will fill up too. Eventually, the overflow from NC will end up in SC, and so on, until every state is busting at the seems. The coastal states will fill up first, and then into the midwest.

If expansion of the infrastructure expands along with the population then the transition will be easier. If infrastructure remains the same while the population grows then you're in for serious problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Yeah, I must say though so many people are extremely naive. Many people relocating to NC from the Northeast, Florida and West Coast really don't see that they are "following the herd" so to speak. I did it too so I know. Many recent or near future tansplants firmly believe that Wake County, and NC as a whole is going to stay as affordable, business friendly, and liveable as ut is now. Give me a break. I really do understand the excited and refreshing feeling they have, because again, I felt the same way 12 years ago. However, with the giant influx of people to this area, it is inevitable that it will face the same issues that people who move here are running away from in their hometowns.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
You won't hear me complaining! Yes, I am from NY, grew up in the Bronx & lived for 14 years in the country before moving south. We LOVE it here..are quite content & very happy with our lives here. We have a lovely home & very nice neighbors from all over the country. This is just another chapter in our lives...we adapt...we learn to live in our surroundings. So what if I can't get "Italian Sausage"...I'm Italian & I think I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've had Italian Sausage this past year. I don't need to have it in order to live a full & happy life, it's not that important. What's important is that my family is happy & we know we've made the right choice to live here.

IMHO, the people that move here & complain, will complain & whine about everything & anything no matter where they live. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time.

BxRosie
Hi everyone
I am new here. I am a teacher in Miami. My hubby, daughter, and I are thinking about moving up there. It is so true that people will complain about everything sometimes. They just arn't happy...period!
We are thinking of flying up to NC in about a week or two to take a look around. Where do you suggest we go to get aquainted with the place??

Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccat View Post
Hi everyone
I am new here. I am a teacher in Miami. My hubby, daughter, and I are thinking about moving up there. It is so true that people will complain about everything sometimes. They just arn't happy...period!
We are thinking of flying up to NC in about a week or two to take a look around. Where do you suggest we go to get aquainted with the place??
So much depends on what kind of money you can afford to spend on housing. No sense falling in love with say, Lake Norman or Ballantyne, if all you can spend on a home is $125,000 for instance. So, what kind of rent or house price do you think you can afford?

Old 01-01-2007, 12:59 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
North Carolina is a VERY long state, and very diverse in its offerings, from beach to mountains, with the beauty of the piedmont and broad coastal plain between.
Small cities, small towns, and also remote and very rural areas are available.

To answer your question with a question(sorry):
What would you be looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccat View Post
Hi everyone

Old 02-09-2007, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 157,531 times
I am back in NY and love it. I lived in NC for 6 months and could not wait to "come Home'. ! The grass is not greener on the other side (NC)

Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM

146 posts, read 638,677 times
Default Going Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbackhome View Post
I am back in NY and love it. I lived in NC for 6 months and could not wait to "come Home'. ! The grass is not greener on the other side (NC)
Do you care to elaborate on why you left after six months? Maybe others that read this forum can benefit and learn from your experience. Hope you are far away from Oswego, NY where they have recieved 7 feet of snow - IN THE PAST WEEK!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
LOL bundy, How are you doing, the wife kids happy????

Old 02-09-2007, 08:09 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Still exploring, still discovering, STILL ENJOYING! I don't regret the move and don't expect that I will. I love the people here, and the weather. I look forward to visiting the shore and the mountains. There's lots to see and do in NC. I love our peaceful neighborhood, our acre lot, the fruit stand just around the corner from us with strawberries and all kinds of fruits and veggies in season. Surrounded by farms, fields and woods, we're still just 10 mins from shopping. Life is good in NC

As for a tax on cars - we paid a horrendous tax to the town on cars where we come from in New England, so that doesn't bother me one bit. Taxes will get you one way or the other, and I do appreciate the much lower property taxes here. What we do have to get used to is sales tax and income tax.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 160,758 times
From my native North Carolinian perspective:
We like transplants who are appreciative and enjoy, understand and accept that North Carolina will be different from where they came from.
What we cant stand are the transplants who b*tch and complain and are unhappy once they move here and talk about how it was "better back home" or "up north we did it like....". THAT is annoying........very annoying!!

Move back if you are not happy here.....we dont want complainers here.
Please stay if you like/love it here for what it is and are accepting of our culture and are trying to help improve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina