Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:06 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times

Advertisements

Ouch!

http://www.roanoke.com/opinion/edito...tml?TNNoMobile

Quote:
Which candidate would do the most to help our local economy? That’s easy. It’s Pat McCrory, the Republican governor of North Carolina, who’s seeking his second four-year term in the November election. We can point to specific and multiple ways he has helped the economy — our economy. North Carolina panicked and made a spectacle of itself by passing HB2, its so-called “bathroom bill.” In response, various companies and even sports leagues pulled events from the state. Three of those have wound up in Salem — the NCAA Division III men’s and women’s soccer championships, as well as the Division II Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association football championship. That’s money in the bank for us.

McCrory has given Virginia a competitive advantage in economic development, as well. When the University Economic Development Association recently held its national conference in Roanoke, the keynote speaker highlighted a North Carolina program to encourage partnerships between colleges and companies, as a way help recruit technology companies interested in research and development. The speaker hailed it as a model for other states to follow as they try to build a “knowledge economy.” Then the speaker noted that McCrory had cancelled it. The pro-business audience groaned.

On Monday, a data company picked Richmond as the site for a new office, with 730 jobs. Industry officials said it beat out Charlotte specifically because of HB2.

Feel free to argue all you want which presidential candidate would be best, but it’s clear that Virginia would be best served if North Carolina re-elected McCrory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
48 other states besides Virginia also would benefit from McCrory's re-election! Hopefully, by the time you move here LM117, he'll be in his new job as "greeter" in the foyer at Duke Energy Headquarters or better yet ...the new "Doorman" at Trump Tower!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
This is amazing. hahahaha

Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
I don't think I've ever seen a politician more "in over his head" than McCrory. Unfortunately, I also think he's going to win re-election.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
48 other states besides Virginia also would benefit from McCrory's re-election! Hopefully, by the time you move here LM117, he'll be in his new job as "greeter" in the foyer at Duke Energy Headquarters or better yet ...the new "Doorman" at Trump Tower!
I obviously can't vote for him right now, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for Cooper.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a politician more "in over his head" than McCrory. Unfortunately, I also think he's going to win re-election.
I think that would do more to (further) hurt NC's moderate/progressive image than if the state broke for Trump.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:17 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
McCrory is going to win. the sporting events with liberal leaders are to blame for leaving the state, not elected officials. Trump is up 7 points in a new poll in NC, and it is difficult to believe McCrory would lose NC if Trump wins it. McCrory has campained with Trump and Pence.

McCrory has implement business friendly policies that have brought in new companies.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
McCrory is going to win. the sporting events with liberal leaders are to blame for leaving the state, not elected officials. Trump is up 7 points in a new poll in NC, and it is difficult to believe McCrory would lose NC if Trump wins it. McCrory has campained with Trump and Pence.

McCrory has implement business friendly policies that have brought in new companies.

Comedy gold.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:38 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
McCrory is going to win. Trump is up 7 points in a new poll in NC, and it is difficult to believe McCrory would lose NC if Trump wins it. McCrory has campained with Trump and Pence.

And other polls show different outcomes. A Trump victory in NC is certainly not assured.

Quote:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. NC has been attracting new companies for decades. And we know McCrory's policies have definitely cost NC some new employers.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:58 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
the bathroom policy was voted on by a majority of state legilature. several democrats refused to vote b/c they didn't want to be on record voting against it but wanted to pander to their base at same time. its not just a McCrory thing.

it was liberal leaders that hurt NC economically. That was their goal. you can't assign blame to other people who didn't make that decision. it is a republic, nobody gets their way on every issue. those liberal leaders basically want to blackmail the state of NC to get their way.

i don't think these temporary sporting events have a big affect on the economy,. ..maybe a loss in some hotel and restaurant revenue. liberals support high tax polices and anti-right to work policies so the Republican brand is much better for the economy. if you look at the economy the pass 8 years on a national level, there has been record number of people unemployed . a record number people living in poverty and reliant on foods stamps, etc. how can the Democratic party make the case the GOP is worse for the economy on national level or state level.

and If you look at areas of the country that have been controlled by Democrats for 100 years uninterrupted, you find a lot of unemployment, poverty

most liberals who act like not allowing a Bruce Jenner to use the bathroom next to little girls is the worst thing ever also have no problem with abortion. but then they wrap themselves up in civil rights rhetoric.

i don't know how any Democrat can think Hillary is going to win now. She's cratered in the polls since Comey opened back up the FBI investigation of her. black voter enhtusiasm is really down this year compared to the Obama election years, she is not going to win without strong black support especially in states like NC with large black population. If Hillary doesn't win NC, I can't see Cooper winning, and the crime lab - rape kit thing has hurt him. Obama lost NC last time so hard to believe a guy with less name recognition is going to win the governorship when black voter enthusiasm is way down this year.

The NCAA moved basketball games to Greenville SC, a metro that has a social conservative rep. I think a greater number of people in SC oppose men being allowed in female restrooms than in NC. It is hilarious the NCAA moved to SC. We dont have any laws that force private businesses to allow men into female restrooms. HB2 was a response to Charlotte's ordinance that mandated private businsses do so.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-02-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina