Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:50 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times

Advertisements

I saw this headline from the Hechinger Report and wondered about if the inadequate pipeline of teachers due to the 30% drop in enrollment in schools of education throughout the state, would NC end up here

Arkansas Schools Hire Untrained Teachers as People Lose Interest in the Profession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 12:23 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
When you've got more and more kids in the classroom every year, and fewer and fewer teachers, you have to do something drastic.

I'm sure increasing salaries would help draw in teachers, but that's unlikely to happen.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:56 PM

I know you are half joking, but in my experience as a high school teacher in the public school system, your analysis of coaches is pretty close to the truth. Most of them are history teachers since it's one of the easiest degrees to get.

Schools won't hire qualified history teachers because many of them do not want to coach. They'd rather hire a babbling idiot with a degree who wants to coach.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I know you are half joking, but in my experience as a high school teacher in the public school system, your analysis of coaches is pretty close to the truth. Most of them are history teachers since it's one of the easiest degrees to get.

Schools won't hire qualified history teachers because many of them do not want to coach. They'd rather hire a babbling idiot with a degree who wants to coach.
OMG! Thinking back on high school - YOU'RE RIGHT!

Old 12-10-2016, 03:37 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:

I went to Charles B. Aycock High School in Wayne County (2003-2007) and half of my teachers were also coaches. Sports took top priority in that school above anything else.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:47 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
This. Shows you just how much people value education. I guess an educated voter is not a good fit for the Republican party. They don't like subjects like science, where people could question religion and possibly be a hindrance to their agenda of ignoring climate change and pollution.
Just like Trump said. "I love the uneducated voter"

Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:

Every single one of the head coaches for the sports teams at my HS (Apex) were also history/SS teachers. They were excellent teachers, particularly the AP US History teacher.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Every single one of the head coaches for the sports teams at my HS (Apex) were also history/SS teachers. They were excellent teachers, particularly the AP US History teacher.
I'm sure some coaches are great teachers, but all of the major sport coaches' true passion lies with coaching and not teaching.

If the coaching job disappeared, they'd likely go with it. But they are still wanting to coach for the kids, which is worth something.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 20,141 times
Default The schools are last on the priority list for the Tea Party Legislature.

When the Legislators don't value education, the public schools suffer, like they are now in NC.

Don't move here.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:05 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
This. Shows you just how much people value education. I guess an educated voter is not a good fit for the Republican party. They don't like subjects like science, where people could question religion and possibly be a hindrance to their agenda of ignoring climate change and pollution.
Just like Trump said. "I love the uneducated voter"

Your comment is significantly off base. To make a blanket statement such as Republicans don't like science is borderline idiotic! For many years I was the CEO of a rather large engineering company and can tell you there were more Republicans than Democrats! "Most" Republicans are not far right zealots. As far as pollution goes, I guess Republicans love to drink dirty water and breath very directy air.

I've certainly met my share of uneducated Democrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina