Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 AM

199 posts, read 958,068 times

Advertisements

Hi! My wife and I are considering moving to Durham (Duke) or Chapel Hill (UNC) for graduate school. We wanted to get an idea of what the area is like and how the people are. I have some specific questions:

- Some people we know who have lived in NC suggested that it wasn't easy for them getting accepted by the "natives" from NC. To what extent is that correct?
- Some people suggested that people in NC aren't very accepting of different religions & cultures. Is that true? We're catholic and don't go church every Sunday
- The term that best describes Fort Collins, Colorado (the place where we live now) is "wide streets, narrow minds." What term would describe Durham or Chapel Hill?
- We are originally from Indiana: Are the people in NC as friendly as they are in Indiana?
- There's a lot of discussion about Duke and the relationship the school has to Durham and it's citizens. To what extent is that problematic?
- How are the K-12 schools in either city? Are many new schools being built?
- What is the quality of life like? What is the landscape like?

Thank you so much for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 02:35 PM

41 posts, read 196,211 times
Default Native of NC

Here let's see if this helps you out. Some of this may tick some people off and I am honestly not trying to. Just trying to answer your questions as honestly as I can...

- Some people we know who have lived in NC suggested that it wasn't easy for them getting accepted by the "natives" from NC. To what extent is that correct?

People are people no matter where you go, so some will walk right up to you and others (like me) will be a bit standoffish. Not meaning anything about it, but just trying to scope out the person you are. Once you and I get to know each other, try to get between us.

Also, times have changed with the number of people moving into NC. Once, people used to visit neighbors regularly or get outside late at night watch the kids play which allowed for informal get-to-gethers. That does not happen as much as before and I miss that....

- Some people suggested that people in NC aren't very accepting of different religions & cultures. Is that true? We're catholic and don't go church every Sunday

Wrong, though as a kid I used to think those other religions were only what I saw on TV or in the big towns. NC has come a long way with acceptance of other religions and cultures. But, I have to say, we do not want it lorded over us (and I expect this can be said for other places). Live and let live is basically how I see NC now.

- The term that best describes Fort Collins, Colorado (the place where we live now) is "wide streets, narrow minds." What term would describe Durham or Chapel Hill?

Yankee! Sorry, but that is the truth. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill have been taken over by people from the north. Number working at the Research Triangle, Duke hospital and such. Some of those yankees are my best buds, some not. Brother is married to one which makes for an interesting Christmas when she, her mother and my redneck get together.

- We are originally from Indiana: Are the people in NC as friendly as they are in Indiana?

Never been to Indiana except for meetings in Chicago. As I stated above, it depends on who you are dealing with and their background. I can place tags on people (yankee, redneck, etc.) but an axx is generally a axx.

- There's a lot of discussion about Duke and the relationship the school has to Durham and it's citizens. To what extent is that problematic?

Durham like any city has large employers that if they ask for something, the city tries it's best to deliver. Greensboro and the new Fed/X center at the airport come to mind. Other than that, what you might have seen on TV concerning recent events in Durham were blown out of proportion by the news agencies. Yes, there are racial issues needing attention and the city has other issues it needs to address and what those young men are stated to have done was not correct. Basically, like any other place I have lived for more than a year....

- How are the K-12 schools in either city? Are many new schools being built?

Not sure since I do not have kids in school. I will say from what I know, all schools here can use improving. Most are now concentrating on teaching what the kids need to know to pass the end-of-year test. I do not agree with that since I am a teachers son...

- What is the quality of life like? What is the landscape like?

Not as great as Vail, but mighty close. Here you can have mountains one day by driving up or the coast by driving down. Both of which are under tremendous pressure from development. There are plenty of parks to camp, hike, picnic in. Plenty of fishing holes to lay the day away. But, according to others, not much in night life. I am not big into night life since I get up at 4 each morning - so you will need to ask others about that.

I like it here and not saying that because I am a native. Been to Texas, up north and out west. Here, you can allow someone to be different and enjoy that difference (or as I see it). You can accomodate your desire to fish off-shore one day while the next ski down a mountainside (not on fresh powder as in Vail though).

People are moving in though and this is causing change. Change also occurred with shutting down of factories that employed a good percentage of the workforce here. So, I would have to say the divide between haves and have nots is getting larger. That elbow room is getting scarer and pollution is a worry.

State and cities are working to create tech or bio jobs. This is requiring retraining of the workforce by what I consider a very good community college system. Wages were low compared to other places, but so was cost of living (but that old change thing again).

Hope that helps and sorry for being so "long winded". If you need anything else, might want to "ask" someone else since I get on my soapbox from time-to-time.

See ya.....

Old 12-04-2006, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 51,292 times
Default what is duke or unc area like

Hi, the area is very pretty, durham however has a high crime rate, not so much in the chapel hill area. One draw back for Chapel Hill there is no inter city parking, you have to ride a bus into town but there is plenty of public transportation. Unless you are going to live on campus the closest, nice and convenient place to live would be the community called Southern Village Community which is only 3 miles out of Chapel Hill, you can either rent one of the lovely apartments or buy one of their town houses (the rent is very reasonable for what they offer). They also have their own theater, resturant, club house, pool etc, and the parking lot for the bus route is located within walking distance and called Southern Village Parking lot. I worked at UNC for 4 years, absoutely loved it however I was commuting 110 miles a day and had to give up my wonderful job due to not wanting to relocate. The people in that area and for most of NC are very friendly usually the ones that aren't are not from NC. Chapel Hill (UNC) and Durham are located with in 2 to 3hrs from the beach and mountains. I've been to every state from NC to CA on the coast line and to Ohio, North Carolina so far is the winner.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 51,292 times
Default what is it like in NC

Hello, its me again I forgot to comment regarding the schools K-12 there are a lot of good private schools which I highly suggest vs public. I have 6 grandsons and it seems that the teachers spend most of the school year preparing the students for the eog testing and leave out the actual teaching as we knew it when we were in school. I don't think the teachers spend much time on history and even less on geography. The public schools are crowded, students are bussed way out of their neighborhoods and the parents spend at least 3 hrs every night doing what the teachers are getting paid to do.

There are plenty of Catholic churches in the area so come on back and join us, my husband and I are also Catholic.

About the landscape of NC depending on which area you're in, we have the sandhill region, foothills, mountains, and the beach, lots of lakes for swimming, fishing, water sports, parks, camping, gem stones, gold mining, beautiful tall long leaf pines, Oaks, dogwoods, and red maples decorate our roadways, you name it you will probably find it here.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:17 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Smaller towns are notorious for the small town feel of knowing each other (watch "Doc Hollywood" and that should give you the general idea). They are slow in most cases to really accept new comers but my experience has been they do at least make the effort. They will give anyone the benefit of the doubt until they mess up. But if you ever get your picture in the paper for a felony or something, that is it. Forget innocent until proven guilty.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
If you're going to grad school, you won't have time to worry about the people. People are about as accepting of you as you are of them. Oh, and you have to like basketball. And blue. (I like gold and black - Go Wake!)

Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
people in N Carolina are very friendly, much more friendly than New York or Philadelphia or New England to get to know

Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
Indiana?? NC people are more friendly than Indiana--Indiana has the largest number of KKK members than any other state. check out Southern Poverty Law Center who do Hate Watch---www.splc.org

Old 12-06-2006, 02:59 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
I very much beg to differ with you Jack. We just moved to western NC. The ONE thing we miss is the friendliness of the midwest. Sure, there are a few bad apples but they are very much in the minority.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 38,119 times
CG: Ironically, we just moved to Charlotte from Denver...and we are already planning our move back...I wish I had listened to those with experience and stayed put in Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina