Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:34 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
the south is the fastest growing region in the country, by a good margin. Tennessee outperformed the national average for GDP growth by 25% last year. Whats actually happening is people are leaving high tax, high cost of living, bankrupt older industrial areas in the northeast and upper midwest and coming to lower taxed, suburban and sprawling urban neighborhoods in the south and west.
That's what a lot of recent transplants from the NE like to believe. That they are the "trend-setters"....but that's an oversimplification of the population patterns in NC.

There are A TON of folks from rural NC who move to the Triangle and Charlotte metros in droves. Many if not most are college-educated and came to the more prosperous areas of the state for college and then stayed for careers. I would say this is the majority of people I know who are my age in the Triangle who did not grow up here. I have a lot of friends form places like Hickory, Wilson, Clinton, Salisbury....declining post-textile or post-tobacco towns in NC who attended UNC or NC State and then started their adult lives here in the Triangle. Marrying, breeding, and adding to that population increase even more!

High-tax/cold-weather "refugees" (as many apparently see themselves) are a more vocal set of transplants to the NC metro areas...but they aren't the majority of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It's simple; relocate or go broke. If Ohio, NY, NJ, Cali, etc transplants can make the move by the thousands for NC jobs; why can't our rural NC residents relocate 1.5 hrs " down the road".
Because they hate the freaking cities! The dirtier air, the congestion, the crazy drivers, on, and on. And everything else that large cities bring with them. They enjoy the quality of life that they find in the country. I can't say that I blame them. Peace, and quiet are just two of the qualities to be found there.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That's what a lot of recent transplants from the NE like to believe. That they are the "trend-setters"....but that's an oversimplification of the population patterns in NC.

There are A TON of folks from rural NC who move to the Triangle and Charlotte metros in droves. Many if not most are college-educated and came to the more prosperous areas of the state for college and then stayed for careers. I would say this is the majority of people I know who are my age in the Triangle who did not grow up here. I have a lot of friends form places like Hickory, Wilson, Clinton, Salisbury....declining post-textile or post-tobacco towns in NC who attended UNC or NC State and then started their adult lives here in the Triangle. Marrying, breeding, and adding to that population increase even more!

High-tax/cold-weather "refugees" (as many apparently see themselves) are a more vocal set of transplants to the NC metro areas...but they aren't the majority of them.
Very true statement, much of our growth can be attributed to folks from other parts of the state. Most of the people leaving these declining counties arent heading out of state but rather moving to our larger cities. Thats whats currently driving a lot of Greenvilles growth, even here in Zebulon many folks from extremely small towns such as Maysville NC or Swanquarter even. Lots of Hyde county folks out here.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:34 PM

127 posts, read 135,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Because they hate the freaking cities! The dirtier air, the congestion, the crazy drivers, on, and on. And everything else that large cities bring with them. They enjoy the quality of life that they find in the country. I can't say that I blame them. Peace, and quiet are just two of the qualities to be found there.
IMO driving here are pretty frustrating, because people here don't generally want to get anywhere.

People like to complain about the taxes, but an often ignored item is that northern cities usually have constraining geographic features that have driven up the prices. Philly and Chicago aren't that bad for prices, but they weren't constrained. Likewise NYC, and Miami are in 2 way different states, but geographic features have constrained the metro.

US center of population has been moving west forever, and it's been on a southern direction since 1920. It's not simply low tax.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That is perfectly understandable and is totally their right to do, but then don't complain that good jobs can't be had in these areas. Employers offering "good" jobs don't relocate to areas where they can't get the most qualified workers to perform those good jobs. It's very simple. If you want to live in rural areas you'll need to have a more self-sufficient way of supporting you and your family. Either that or live on government cheese like most do. Not a very glorious or productive way to live life, but I understand for some it's the only option they have.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That is perfectly understandable and is totally their right to do, but then don't complain that good jobs can't be had in these areas. Employers offering "good" jobs don't relocate to areas where they can't get the most qualified workers to perform those good jobs. It's very simple. If you want to live in rural areas you'll need to have a more self-sufficient way of supporting you and your family. Either that or live on government cheese like most do. Not a very glorious or productive way to live life, but I understand for some it's the only option they have.
Sadly this is true. The same thing is happening to small town America in other states too. Leaving small towns for larger population centers . Western Kansas has some very cute little towns with reasonably priced houses. And there are jobs if you need to work. And a number of years ago I read an online article about an area in rural Nebraska on how some of the little towns are dying, and returning to the "wild" with hardly anyone left to care for them. I'm sure this phenomenon is not just confined to those places.

But there are people of all ages that prefer a more peaceful lifestyle in some of those small towns, and are actively looking for such. Maybe not in droves, but it's still a reality since I see it in threads on CD.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Rural North Carolinians are probably tired of looking for jobs so they are moving closer to urban areas of the state which are growing.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
US center of population has been moving west forever, and it's been on a southern direction since 1920. It's not simply low tax.
True. I imagine weather has a lot to do with it too.

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-of-the-south/

*I am not a Krugman fan at all, but he's right in this instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXz4SQ_lfNM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina