Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

Lol. Rocky Mount?

I feel bad for those folks. Does not sound like a place I would want to move to over the triangle. There’s no cheaper alternatives in the triangle in Angier or something?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Lol. Rocky Mount?

I feel bad for those folks. Does not sound like a place I would want to move to over the triangle. There’s no cheaper alternatives in the triangle in Angier or something?
Raleigh is the state capital. Seems to me they should stay in the Raleigh area even if they relocate in a suburban campus outside of the city limits. But no offense to Rocky Mount. I'm sure its a great town but they should have at least remained in the Triangle. Current employees are going to have to commute or move to Rocky Mount

Old 01-30-2019, 12:38 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
But no offense to Rocky Mount. I'm sure its a great town
One of the biggest problems with Rocky Mount is that the city council is a dumpster fire and the city manager they recently hired has been a one-person wrecking crew.

Staff warned council about issues - Rocky Mount Telegram

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/Ne...ghts-city.html

Rocky Mount would be off to a much better start if it had competent people running the city.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Rocky Mount is not a great town. About the only advantage it has is having the only Great American Cookie Company still standing in ENC. That’s no small thing (most cookie cake places oversweeten the cookie part), but it’s not worth moving the DMV there for.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,379 times
Long time lurker on the forum... Was wondering where I can look online to get information about what's being built? Drove past construction on Raleigh Rd in Wilson this afternoon and am curious as to what's going in there. Next to Lidl.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:16 PM

743 posts, read 826,419 times
Center City Partners latest report covering Uptown,SouthEnd Midtown,WestEnd & the highlights include 1.7 Billion worth of investments in the form of 6.9 sq ft of office, 948,000 sq ft of retail,2,300 hotel rooms & 8,400 residential units under construction

Old 01-30-2019, 04:21 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uprightinvasion View Post
Long time lurker on the forum... Was wondering where I can look online to get information about what's being built? Drove past construction on Raleigh Rd in Wilson this afternoon and am curious as to what's going in there. Next to Lidl.
I know the site you are talking about but I'm not sure either. I thought one of the members active in this thread kept up on Wilson or lived there? Maybe they can chime in. Welcome regardless

Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Raleigh is the state capital. Seems to me they should stay in the Raleigh area even if they relocate in a suburban campus outside of the city limits. But no offense to Rocky Mount. I'm sure its a great town but they should have at least remained in the Triangle. Current employees are going to have to commute or move to Rocky Mount
Its less than 45 minutes from the beltline. Likely the cost of office space is significantly higher in Raleigh...and we all know the State loves to rent space rather than build it.

If it saves the taxpayers money, then it should go to a regional location that has lower prices.

That being said, I'm all for the State constructing something in downtown Raleigh for offices as an investment.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
From Charlotte Center City Partners-Charlotte Business Journal

The 2010s is now the most prolific decade when it comes to new office construction in Charlotte's center city.
Though that might hardly be surprising to some, it only passed the 5.3 million-square-foot mark previously set in the 2000s within the last year, speaking to the delay of major office projects breaking ground in this cycle. But, so far, 6.1 million square feet of office space is expected to deliver in the center city in the 2010s and, as of December 2018, Charlotte was the fifth busiest CBD in the U.S. for office construction.

Nearly 15,000 tech workers moved to Charlotte between 2011-16

In an expansion cycle that started out with a lot of new apartment construction — which continues today, though it's tempered a bit in the urban core compared to two or more years ago — office has pushed ahead to become the major commercial real estate player in the past couple of years, with projects like Bank of America Tower, Duke Energy's 1 million-square-foot building pegged across Tryon Street from its headquarters, Ally Charlotte Center and a Deloitte-anchored building among the office developments planned or underway now — and that's just in uptown. South End has seen its own discovery of office development, with several such buildings in the works or under construction.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ay-now-in.html

Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Lol. Rocky Mount?

That's The Great State of North Carolina for 'ya.

Trying to put the citizens first and spend taxpayer money as efficiently as possible.

That's what I tried to convey to the Charlotte population for years:

Agencies bases in Raleigh are not living it up and spending more for more projects in the Triangle area at the expense of Charlotte and the rest of the state.

In fact, I think the crappy old buildings and general conditions of the buildings that house state agencies are proof that they carry this a little too far.

Remember McCrory saying how rundown and antiquated the buildings and computer system were?

Hopefully this conspiracy theory of Raleigh getting preferential treatment/funding will die & be forgotten.

I don't think Division 5 that includes Wake, will also move to Rocky Mount, but I could be wrong.

THIS IS PROBABLY GOOD BECAUSE THEY"LL GET MORE WORK DONE WITH FEWER DISTRACTIONS.

Most people also don't like it when their taxes dollars are being used for offices in high rent districts.

The DOT probably can best serve the entire state in an environment that's more typical.

This is like the Charlotte commenter decrying its division offices being in Albemarle, as if DOT engineers were artists needing enlightenment to do their work which is driven by data mostly.

My sister-in-law commuted from Raleigh to Hardees HQ long ago which is this same complex.

I-87 is being widened with 1 new lane in each direction in the near future which will help somewhat.

THE NCDOT faces an unprecedented employee shortage with the majority of existing being over 50 year
s of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina