Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 01:26 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Nope. Now there is an owner with a up to date downtown stadium in them mix, which is light years ahead of Raleigh's.
Tepper. Tepper. Tepper. If all the ducks were in a row for Charlotte to land MLS because they were a natural fit then where were the plans to make it happen? Like you said, a concept. Tepper has the ability to turn that concept into something more realistic. There's still a lot of activity in getting an arena going in DTR including Malik making comments about it just as of yesterday. Without Tepper though both cities would be in about the same spot roughly. Just hoping. If Charlotte wins a team it will be because of Tepper. A good market with a big money owner with assets is too easy for MLS to pass up over a market that would have to start from scratch. Even if the cultural fit and community support from that market may be better.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:30 PM

186 posts, read 177,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Maybe Suntrust/BB&T HQ was the rumored 1,000 footer? I could see an architect getting asked to do preliminary work on a 1,000 footer and assume that Bank of America was the only potential builder. Seems like this rumor faded pretty quickly and its been crickets ever since.
No matter what they build, it will be iconic and make a huge impact, I am sure. It will be nice to see an 1000-footer in the skyline, but in all honesty Charlotte doesn't need that to impress. Being the 2nd largest banking center brings enough glory to the city, and the state, as a whole. Kind of a silly question, but does BB&T own any undeveloped parcels in the Uptown area?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Tepper. Tepper. Tepper. If all the ducks were in a row for Charlotte to land MLS because they were a natural fit then where were the plans to make it happen? Like you said, a concept. Tepper has the ability to turn that concept into something more realistic. There's still a lot of activity in getting an arena going in DTR including Malik making comments about it just as of yesterday. Without Tepper though both cities would be in about the same spot roughly. Just hoping. If Charlotte wins a team it will be because of Tepper. A good market with a big money owner with assets is too easy for MLS to pass up over a market that would have to start from scratch. Even if the cultural fit and community support from that market may be better.
Now, what if Jim Goodnight was to get involved? Yes, it is a "what if", but not an unrealistic scenario. A SAS Field/Stadium/etc would be interesting, too. Goodnight may not be as rich as Tepper, but at $8.9 billion, his net worth is more than enough to help Raleigh, IF he gets involved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ros-ralph.html

Old 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
Can you please tell us where Charlotte ranks in terms of youth soccer programs? If you know anything about soccer, then you should know this is important. Rest assured it is nowhere near Raleigh's/Triangle's programs, which are FAR AHEAD of Charlotte's in the rankings. You have many reasons to be proud of Charlotte, but soccer is not one of them. Until Charlotte gets an MLS team, this type of conversations will ALWAYS depend of attendance and history. CASL and NC FC are programs that existed for a very long time and Charlotte cannot compete in those terms. If you get an MLS team I promise to celebrate with you, but until then try not to create false perceptions.
outstanding
By the way, a Downtown/Uptown stadium without a team means nothing. When Tepper puts together a winning bid and the MLS decision makers respond positively, then you will have reasons to celebrate. Until then, try to maintain a down to Earth attitude.
NCFC Youth is the largest youth-to-pro club in the country lol. The support for Soccer here is great. The support the community came out and showed on the MLS expansion scoping tour was outstanding. The NCFC and Courage play in a 10k seat arena and the courage won the 2018 NWSL championship. There's pretty substantial roots for a demographic that is all in on soccer. I'm not questioning that Charlotte would be a fine fit for MLS but to not recognize the Triangle as having the strongest soccer minded market in the Carolina's is puzzling.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
Now, what if Jim Goodnight was to get involved? Yes, it is a "what if", but not an unrealistic scenario. A SAS Field/Stadium/etc would be interesting, too. Goodnight may not be as rich as Tepper, but at $8.9 billion, his net worth is more than enough to help Raleigh, IF he gets involved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ros-ralph.html
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/reques...eigh/18161376/

You probably saw this already. Makes you wonder what if this arena gets built? Really doesn't seem so far fetched. I believe Tepper likely gets things rolling quicker and has the advantage of BOA but what if it came down to MLS having to decide between both Carolina markets? If all things being equal I would see Raleigh as offering more appeal. A similiary sized region but a brand new soccer specific arena, a more soccer focused population and probably ownership group, only 1 other pro league to brush elbows with, etc. I'm just saying. But obviously that's all completely theoretical. I just want somebody to secure a team. To me, pro sports is one of the things NC is behind on compared to it's peer states.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/reques...eigh/18161376/

You probably saw this already. Makes you wonder what if this arena gets built? Really doesn't seem so far fetched. I believe Tepper likely gets things rolling quicker and has the advantage of BOA but what if it came down to MLS having to decide between both Carolina markets? If all things being equal I would see Raleigh as offering more appeal. A similiary sized region but a brand new soccer specific arena, a more soccer focused population and probably ownership group, only 1 other pro league to brush elbows with, etc. I'm just saying. But obviously that's all completely theoretical. I just want somebody to secure a team. To me, pro sports is one of the things NC is behind on compared to it's peer states.
I agree with your last two posts. Either city could win the bid, each one for different reasons. In Raleigh's case it will be interesting to see not only what the final plans will be for the stadium - with regards to the location - but also the potential development around it. Uptown Charlotte already has development around their Uptown venue, but for Raleigh it will be a lot of new development, IF the state government decides to sell the properties. Project Phoenix would have been a perfect way to demonstrate the benefits of a downtown stadium, but since this project is not on the table any more, it will be hard to assume that it will happen.

In my opinion, the former Cargill plant and - some people might shoot me for this - the Heritage Park, could also serve the needs of an MLS stadium, IMHO. The Heritage Park residents could very easily be offered [new] residences in nearby locations, as developers could potentially work with the city on this project. Given the new projects under way (South Saunders/Dawson Streets, City Gateway, etc.), there will be a tremendous amount of urban growth nearby, which is also something that MLS people want to see - it is already happening, with a lot more to come. Just a thought...

Old 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
The new BBT/SunTrust definitely want a building uptown:

Quote:

“We want to be in the heart of the business district,” he said.

No state or local incentives are being used to lure the headquarters to Charlotte, King said.

King, who lives in Winston-Salem, said he is looking for a home in Charlotte, where he plans to spend most of his time.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...225910815.html

Really hoping for a nice signature tower. If Charlotte is to get a 1,000 footer anytime soon, this is the opportunity. The new BofA is around 650, the new duke will probably be over 700.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The new BBT/SunTrust definitely want a building uptown:

Really hoping for a nice signature tower. If Charlotte is to get a 1,000 footer anytime soon, this is the opportunity. The new BofA is around 650, the new duke will probably be over 700.
Yeah I would think they'll build a new signature tower. SunTrust has that monster in Atlanta. Wouldn't be surprised if they do something on that scale. Not a lot of cities outside of Chicago and NY in the US can get a super tall out of the ground but I would think a demand for office space like this could do it potentially

Old 02-07-2019, 03:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Yeah I would think they'll build a new signature tower. SunTrust has that monster in Atlanta. Wouldn't be surprised if they do something on that scale. Not a lot of cities outside of Chicago and NY in the US can get a super tall out of the ground but I would think a demand for office space like this could do it potentially

I’m sure this has been shared here before, but CLT almost got one with First Union. IMO, the new tower will probably be a little to the right of the rendered First Union below:

Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 PM

459 posts, read 373,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m sure this has been shared here before, but CLT almost got one with First Union. IMO, the new tower will probably be a little to the right of the rendered First Union below:
BoA won't give up having the tallest building. If someone builds a 1,000 footer. BoA will find a way to build at 1,200+. Major win for the Charlotte skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina