Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:02 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times

Advertisements

Thank you Vatnos, It's very interesting how some folks can adjust to the heat, and do well. And others like myself never do. But I enjoy hearing your stories while being envious. With biking at least you generate a breeze to help cool you a little. The heat has always made me feel badly, and these health issues I have now just make it much worse. It's like my body doesn't regulate heat well. I like colder weather alright. As a teen in southern California going to the beach, or the neighbor's pool made life easier when it was hot. I guess we will all be in the same boat when it gets into the 90's. I can hardly wait, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 03:25 PM

6 posts, read 12,928 times
I moved to New Orleans after college at the UW for a year in my early 20's. I was absolutely DYING from the humidity and heat (it was August). 6 months later when I visited friends back home for spring break, I was absolutely FREEZING. The following summer I moved back to Seattle (for a relationship--dumb move) and I wore two sweatshirts the ENTIRE SUMMER, ALL DAY LONG. I had acclimated so well to the humidity and heat of the South, that I had to spend another 6 months re-acclimating to the cold damp weather of the PNW. You will acclimate, and it's not just psychological, you will physically adapt.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Poor you. Your body didn't know if it was coming, or going, lol. It couldn't get much worse than New Orleans in august I imagine. But it was a good experience for you at least. But that is a huge switch between Washington, and Louisiana. It's kinda like me since I came from the Olympic Peninsula to Raleigh NC. That was painful. As soon as it cooled off things were fine though. I had moved to that area in Wa specifically for the cooler summers, but left because of the divorce, darn. So where are you now? Here, or there?

A million years ago when I moved to Ct from southern California with my first husband the humidity was a shock. But I grew to like it. It's just the heat part that I could never stand. I was in southern California till I was around 21, and had a horse. Every summer when it got hot I couldn't do a thing at the stable. Had to wait till the heat went away, and then resume life. I've always been like that for some reason. It's just me. I guess my original question is slightly unfair since at almost 70 I know I will never adjust to it ;oD. But I had to ask anyway. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:55 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N17816 View Post
I moved to New Orleans after college at the UW for a year in my early 20's. I was absolutely DYING from the humidity and heat (it was August). 6 months later when I visited friends back home for spring break, I was absolutely FREEZING. The following summer I moved back to Seattle (for a relationship--dumb move) and I wore two sweatshirts the ENTIRE SUMMER, ALL DAY LONG. I had acclimated so well to the humidity and heat of the South, that I had to spend another 6 months re-acclimating to the cold damp weather of the PNW. You will acclimate, and it's not just psychological, you will physically adapt.
When I moved from North Carolina to New Jersey in July, I would sit on the brick steps in the afternoon to warm up. Snake woman. I wore a lot of sweatshirts and sweaters that year, too.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When I moved from North Carolina to New Jersey in July, I would sit on the brick steps in the afternoon to warm up. Snake woman. I wore a lot of sweatshirts and sweaters that year, too.
Hi, Gerania!! I didn't know you used to live in NC! I'm looking at the Greenville area (in Brookhaven, PA now) for retirement because the cold is making my arthritis (Osteo and Rhuematoid) flair like crazy. But am VERY concerned about humidity which I despise. I have a soft spot for NJ (as you know) and almost moved to CM County years ago - no emergency veterinarians in the county. CM is still one of my favorite places on the planet.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hi, Gerania!! I didn't know you used to live in NC! I'm looking at the Greenville area (in Brookhaven, PA now) for retirement because the cold is making my arthritis (Osteo and Rhuematoid) flair like crazy. But am VERY concerned about humidity which I despise. I have a soft spot for NJ (as you know) and almost moved to CM County years ago - no emergency veterinarians in the county. CM is still one of my favorite places on the planet.
My husband was military, so we moved around. It's not as though it isn't humid in PA, but it's a longer, warmer season in NC. In the Philly area, May is the month when things warm up, and October when they cool down. Not just cool down, but might get cold. It's April and November in Eastern of NC. There were some warm Easters and Thanksgivings. That's the best part. The thing I noticed the most was that it didn't cool down at night. Up North in PA, people would have been outside on the patio because it was cooler, might even be a cool breeze. That just doesn't happen in Eastern NC.

The thing I liked (maybe) the most was that some areas reminded me of NJ. It was flat, sandy, and there were pine trees and beaches. We lived in Wilkes-Barre and we started going to the NJ Shore when I was 2. Since we went in the summer, when I was very young, I thought that it was always warm and sunny there.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
In the Philly area, May is the month when things warm up, and October when they cool down. Not just cool down, but might get cold. It's April and November in Eastern of NC. There were some warm Easters and Thanksgivings. That's the best part. The thing I noticed the most was that it didn't cool down at night. Up North in PA, people would have been outside on the patio because it was cooler, might even be a cool breeze. That just doesn't happen in Eastern NC.
Fall, and spring are my absolute favorite times of the year, the longer they last the better. I would be thrilled if the year consisted only of Fall, and Spring. Would that be called "Sprall", lol?

When I got here in Raleigh Oct 2, 2017 I expected cool fall weather. Much to my chagrin it was still hot, and miserable (for me). And that wasn't even the hottest part of the year which I gratefully missed . I sure hope I'm gone before it returns again. It would be much more bearable if it cooled off at night, but alas it doesn't. But for the hot weather freaks it's perfect, enjoy . There will be an empty spot available after I leave, lol.

But it's been great since fall, and winter got here. And the only snake I saw was a dead baby snake about the size of a foot long pencil. If that's all I see I will be satisfied .

Old 01-03-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Fall, and spring are my absolute favorite times of the year, the longer they last the better. I would be thrilled if the year consisted only of Fall, and Spring. Would that be called "Sprall", lol?

When I got here in Raleigh Oct 2, 2017 I expected cool fall weather. Much to my chagrin it was still hot, and miserable (for me). And that wasn't even the hottest part of the year which I gratefully missed . I sure hope I'm gone before it returns again. It would be much more bearable if it cooled off at night, but alas it doesn't. But for the hot weather freaks it's perfect, enjoy . There will be an empty spot available after I leave, lol.

But it's been great since fall, and winter got here. And the only snake I saw was a dead baby snake about the size of a foot long pencil. If that's all I see I will be satisfied .
Winter in NC is usually very gentle. Yeah, you need a coat, but just barely.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Winter in NC is usually very gentle. Yeah, you need a coat, but just barely.
Yes, not bad at all. I can handle this half of the year. I'll give the other half to you though, lol.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yes, not bad at all. I can handle this half of the year. I'll give the other half to you though, lol.
Well, thanks for nuthin'. I'll take it though. My health problems are aggravated by cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina