Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times

Advertisements

I did an internship in several counties in the eastern part of the state, (Bertie, Pitt, Martin, Beaufort Counties) and I can kind of see what the OP is talking about. Especially on a stretch of empty road dotted with abandoned houses. The whole idea of people just walking off and abandoning a house always seemed weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 11:05 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I did an internship in several counties in the eastern part of the state, (Bertie, Pitt, Martin, Beaufort Counties) and I can kind of see what the OP is talking about. Especially on a stretch of empty road dotted with abandoned houses. The whole idea of people just walking off and abandoning a house always seemed weird.
Most likely, the owners didn't walk off, but died and the heirs had established lives in more bustling places. But they didn't want to sell the house for sentimental reasons or because they couldn't agree with what should be done with it. Ironically, those sentimental reasons and not wanting to let go of something can cause a property to progressively deteriorate. And even if they did want to sell the pool of buyers in those areas is going to be extremely limited compared to areas where everyone seems to be moving.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yep. It also costs money to deal with a building in disrepair, either to fix it up or to tear it down. Many times the house or barn may not have been inhabited for decades. Lots of times the original owners' kids built their own nicer, more modern house nearby. If it's a farm the kids who inherited the old house might not want to sell the it because they want to keep the farm intact. Sometimes they will rent it, but who would want to rent it way out in the boonies? Not exactly a booming rental market.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:59 PM

10 posts, read 10,938 times
All of you people talking about how that area isn't creepy and the OP is crazy for feeling so, how about you go check out East Lumberton where those three women's bodies sat around for weeks while people prostituted and used drugs fully knowing they were there. That entire area is nothing but drugs, prostitution, human trafficking, and people killing each other. For such a rural area, there is an awfully high violent crime rate, unclosed murder cases that authorities aren't even bothering with, and speaking of authorities, a long history of crooked coppery. Where else do they have to charge over 20 deputies with racketeering, kidnapping and even selling controlled substances? Even the Sheriff got thrown in prison, and a judge was also brought down. This is normal. They bungle almost every crime investigation they are trusted with, families get no results, and because it's a bunch of small towns spread out over several counties, everybody is related and everybody knows each other. Do they resort to street justice? How can there be any doubt?

Just the other day, two guys were shot dead at a place of business. One of the victims' brothers was shot the same way and killed 10 years ago. You got neighbors shooting neighbors, you got 12 year old kids shooting adults, you have adults shooting 14 year olds right between the eyes, you have people disappearing into thin air and these cops just coast through, not following up on leads, not looking for leads. You have people dying, and the cause of death is NEVER released. Court records sealed so the public cannot inspect the work police agencies do. Chicago type stuff, only we're dealing with less than 200,000 people, so the per capita violent crime rate is actually higher.

Yes. OP is right. That area is creepy, it's been that way for a long time, and it would take some sort of miracle. Lock your doors when you drive through, or just avoid at all costs.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:29 PM

127 posts, read 135,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Most likely, the owners didn't walk off, but died and the heirs had established lives in more bustling places. But they didn't want to sell the house for sentimental reasons or because they couldn't agree with what should be done with it. Ironically, those sentimental reasons and not wanting to let go of something can cause a property to progressively deteriorate. And even if they did want to sell the pool of buyers in those areas is going to be extremely limited compared to areas where everyone seems to be moving.
Likely couldn't get the price they want. Most counties in NC are losing population, but the cities making more gains. Land out there isn't worth a ton.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:49 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
My aunt lives in a retirement place in Lumberton. Before she moved there she lived rurally in Robeson County. Been going down there my whole life. Boring, yes. Creepy, no.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:32 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Just southern country blight and and poverty accentuated by the topography ... guess that can be creepy to some .

Old 12-31-2017, 07:35 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Lots do, there is a movie about it ...

The Jersey Devil (2005) - IMDb

Old 12-31-2017, 08:08 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
My job sends me to the Campbell's Soup plant in Maxton quite often. I wouldn't describe the area as scary, but it is very poor and rural. Many of the locals are clearly Native American (Lumbee I suspect) and Jesus Christ is KING around those parts (even moreso than here in Charlotte which is quite religious). The correlation between poverty and religiosity is something that I've noticed repeatedly during my travels.

On the other hand, there is a little gas station on NC 71 across the street from Campbell's Soup near Maxton. It is the type of store that sells drinks, gloves, Krazy glue, tire plug kits, and fried bologna sandwiches. Chains such as QT, Sheetz, 7 Eleven and such serves a similar purpose in more developed areas. However, there is a charm associated with the small mom-and-pop in Maxton. Every time I go there, I'm greeted with a smile and fast/friendly service.

To be honest, places like Maxton are very educational if you actually (GASP!!!!) stop your car there and chat with the locals. In just a 20 min stop for a sandwich and a restroom break, you can learn so much. I'm a trucker and I've learned that the journey is so much more interesting than the destination. That philosophy is true in almost every aspect of life.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My job sends me to the Campbell's Soup plant in Maxton quite often. I wouldn't describe the area as scary, but it is very poor and rural. Many of the locals are clearly Native American (Lumbee I suspect) and Jesus Christ is KING around those parts (even moreso than here in Charlotte which is quite religious). The correlation between poverty and religiosity is something that I've noticed repeatedly during my travels.

On the other hand, there is a little gas station on NC 71 across the street from Campbell's Soup near Maxton. It is the type of store that sells drinks, gloves, Krazy glue, tire plug kits, and fried bologna sandwiches. Chains such as QT, Sheetz, 7 Eleven and such serves a similar purpose in more developed areas. However, there is a charm associated with the small mom-and-pop in Maxton. Every time I go there, I'm greeted with a smile and fast/friendly service.

To be honest, places like Maxton are very educational if you actually (GASP!!!!) stop your car there and chat with the locals. In just a 20 min stop for a sandwich and a restroom break, you can learn so much. I'm a trucker and I've learned that the journey is so much more interesting than the destination. That philosophy is true in almost every aspect of life.

P. S. Tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina