Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM

132 posts, read 181,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I think his point is rural NC is no different than rural NY or any other rural part of America. I grew up down there, not creepy to me at all. Most people who live in rural places have a keen eye for BS and city slickers. So spouting off at the mouth or braggadocious isn't a good way to start the conversation.

Great food, real food and always love going home because I know the food is about as earthy as it gets (meat, veggies, etc). My 80+ year old parents still don't eat pizza or fast food....absolutely despise it. I usually go down in the Fall to stock up on fresh seafood. I love the smell of the burning leaves and wood in the fall. It's dark, outer space type dark and people who are accustomed to any notion of city lights, it is different or "creepy". Not to me.

Now, I'm an "outsider" and they find me to be sort of creepy but appreciate my city-fide self. But they know I still remember how to harvest tobacco or plant a row of butter beans, sweet corn or okra. It is boring to most but an extremely peaceful existence. It is beautiful countryside but do think my area is a bit more fortunate due to proximity to Wilmington which is seeing growth. It is unique because parts of the topography might remind you of Kansas but it just the coastal plains. Flat, open, piney, swampy....God's country.
This ^^^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Is creeped even a word?

Old 11-09-2017, 12:51 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Sort of a strange post. I'm very familiar with NC and have never been anywhere there that was remotely "creepy". Any state has is warts, but I've found NC to be one of the most beautiful states I've been to.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPIFCO View Post
Most of North Carolina is pretty creepy. So is the rest of the South and Midwest there days. Pity.
NC is one of the nicest, most beautiful states in the nation, as is the South in general. There are tons of people who've been relocating there over the last 30 year, and creepiness wasn't one of the things they moved there for. I guess that's just your troll-ish regional bigorty shining through, lol.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Is creeped even a word?
Yes, and there's even a webpage devoted to it .... Creeped vs. crept - Grammarist

Old 11-09-2017, 05:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Sort of a strange post. I'm very familiar with NC and have never been anywhere there that was remotely "creepy". Any state has is warts, but I've found NC to be one of the most beautiful states I've been to.
I agree with you about the beauty but there are creepy places in North Carolina. I was born on one of the most beautiful roads in the state. We always took it for granted but others didn't. In the fall cars would drive in front of our home at about 10 mph and we would say, "I wonder why that car is going so slow." I moved away and later drove on the road in front of my former home and there were three mountains in view, left, right, and middle, and they were covered with beautiful trees with multiple colored leaves. It is breathtakingly beautiful.

But we used to walk the few miles from our home to the local church and on the way we passed through a deep curve called the Hilt Holler. I don't know how it got its name but walking through there made the hair raise on the back of your neck. We walked fast and got through that area as fast as possible. It felt evil, cold and damp.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPIFCO View Post
Most of North Carolina is pretty creepy. So is the rest of the South and Midwest there days. Pity.
I have seen several posts quoting this post. I ignored it. It would have to be translated so I even know what it is trying to say. What does "So is the rest of the South and Midwest there days" mean?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:26 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well, most North Carolinians would consider the towns out in the Southwest desert totally creepy as well, like along I-10 and I-40 in Arizona and New Mexico where there’s not one tree among 100 houses or so sitting all alone in the vast open desert where you can see 50 miles in every direction.

I mean El Paso’s nice residential neighborhoods look like you’re living on the surface of the moon.

It’s shocking initially, you’re thinking how could anyone normal live in such an opposite landscape from what you’re accustomed to.

Only area frightening to me is south of Miami through Homestead heading to the keys. I feel I’m about to be carjacked at every traffic signal down there.
I have run into a couple of those different towns. Most of the time I just view places different as unique but we drove into one town off I-10, if I remember correctly. We were hungry and looking for a place to eat but we decided we weren't that hungry. We are learning to carry apples and granola bars and water in the trunk for times like this.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:41 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Is creeped even a word?
Only if followed by the word out.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM

149 posts, read 165,541 times
I drive through Laurinburg, Wagram, Pink Hill, and the Kinston to New Bern stretch of 70 on a regular basis between my home in Union county and my home in Pamlico County. Creepy is the last word I would use to describe these towns. I love to see the fields of tobacco and cotton and soy beans. I love the black water of the swamp land. I love the pines and the peach stands. I agree with many of the other posters here. You are seeing rural poverty and it clearly makes you uncomfortable. But that's OK. It should make all of us uncomfortable to some extent. These towns were left behind in our New Economy and Eastern NC needs serious help in economic development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina