Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 02:36 AM

14 posts, read 95,922 times

Advertisements

hi there everyone. i currently live in roseville ca and want to make a move at the end of the school year "07" . I have two kids a ds 6, and dd 8. Id like to find a nice family area to live in, where there is as less snow as possible. Id like to stay clear of tornados. I was in the military years ago and stationed at camp johnson nc, (i believe that was in raleigh, forgot which citie. but it was close to camp lejune and the beach. i love hot beautiful the beaches are at nite, so hot the water. compared to the pacific ocean.) anyway we love going to theme parks. so it would be nice to be close to one. so i was wondering anyone have any suggestions. oh and what are the prices like for a 3bedroom, 2bath house.

thanks, cant wait to hear from you
teresa36
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 10:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
The Charlotte area would be nice. Homes are affordable, lots of recreational assets (including a large theme park/water park), one of the stongest economies in the nation, and very nice 4-season climate (no extremes). Some areas that are family oriented with good schools would be Concord/Harrisburg, Mooresvile, Ft. Mill/Lake Wylie, Union County.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 PM

36 posts, read 164,348 times
Cary is a very nice area. I think it is beautiful. Most of the people come from other places so they are very welcoming to newcomers. The schools of Wake County are the best. It is expensive to rent but probably less than it was in California. We went online and took virtual tours and rented an apartment at first to see if we liked the area. We got a 3 bedroom with a fireplace, washer/dryer, fireplace, tennis courts, volleyball court, pool, excercise center, afterschool programs for $745. I love the place. Sad thing the same apartment when my lease is up will jump to 852 so you need to realize your rent "special" may be so special that you will only have a year there. Many houses are inexpensive but you have to look as the area is climbing into a very expensive place to live.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 14,854 times
Because of your young kids, Greensboro would be a great area - very family oriented, good school system and the housing prices, taxes will be better than Charlotte or Raleigh. Avg 3 bed/2BA home in city limits will run around $135K in nice neighborhood. You could probably find something in the county for around $120K and also avoid city taxes.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:17 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa36 View Post
hi there everyone. i currently live in roseville ca and want to make a move at the end of the school year "07" . I have two kids a ds 6, and dd 8. Id like to find a nice family area to live in, where there is as less snow as possible. Id like to stay clear of tornados. I was in the military years ago and stationed at camp johnson nc, (i believe that was in raleigh, forgot which citie. but it was close to camp lejune and the beach. i love hot beautiful the beaches are at nite, so hot the water. compared to the pacific ocean.) anyway we love going to theme parks. so it would be nice to be close to one. so i was wondering anyone have any suggestions. oh and what are the prices like for a 3bedroom, 2bath house.

thanks, cant wait to hear from you
teresa36
Camp Johnson is in Jacksonville, NC. It is right near the beach. Probably about 2.5 hours from Raleigh. The closer you are to the water, you will get less snow. fewer tornados, but better Hurricane threat.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:22 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,492 times
Hi neighbor!!! I moved from Folsom to Cary NC. Love it love it love it..no regrets. This place is like one big Chuck E Cheese...kids everywhere! Good schools, friendly people etc.. For home prices you can search using this link.
http://realtor.com (broken link)
I call it MLS for the public. You can e-mail me at zuiax@yahoo.com with any questions. FYI - it's Dec 25th and it is warm outside. I know Sac has fog right now and it is very cold.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:31 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,492 times
By the way...60%+ people in Cary are transplants. I have met plenty of people from the bay area so it makes adjusting here much easier. Prices are going up here quickly ( still nothing compared to Roseville/Sacramento) and I think because this town has for 8 years been ranked one of the best small cities to live in you will see further appreciation on home values. We found many homes in the 3,500 sq ft range for under 500K in a great part of town. Schools are touted to be some of the best in Wake county (so I have read). I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you think you can afford. Do you currently own in Roseville or rent?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 7,076 times
Good evening folks, not sure about posting here but here goes - I have a statement and a question. I am an Afr. Amer. lesbian whose Afr. Amer. partner has a job opportunity in Western NC. We have two children ages 5 and 3. I am concerned about issues regarding our race and orientation.

Would anyone be able to or willing to suggest ANY ideas at all about areas to live and, for me, areas to work? Also, where NOT to attempt to call home. I am kinda leaning towards Charlotte or Winston-Salem areas. Also considered Asheville or Mooresville. My partner prefers private schools over public, so that is also a consideration. Received some suggestions in another forum but still not sure. Will be visiting the state in June and want to narrow it down so as to better utilize our time there. - Thank you.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:24 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Why not start a new post rather than extend this 4-year-old post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForAnswers2 View Post
Good evening folks, not sure about posting here but here goes - I have a statement and a question. I am an Afr. Amer. lesbian whose Afr. Amer. partner has a job opportunity in Western NC. We have two children ages 5 and 3. I am concerned about issues regarding our race and orientation.

Would anyone be able to or willing to suggest ANY ideas at all about areas to live and, for me, areas to work? Also, where NOT to attempt to call home. I am kinda leaning towards Charlotte or Winston-Salem areas. Also considered Asheville or Mooresville. My partner prefers private schools over public, so that is also a consideration. Received some suggestions in another forum but still not sure. Will be visiting the state in June and want to narrow it down so as to better utilize our time there. - Thank you.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,641 times
Default Charlotte is your town

Charlotte is by far the best city in NC. I have lived in all part s of NC all my life and went to college in Raleigh. I now live in Charlotte. It's a great town and is growing. You are a few hours to the coast as well as the mountains. What more could you ask for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina