Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:16 AM

35 posts, read 58,685 times

Advertisements

Are NC legislators in bed with the auto insurance companies?

I know someone who was recently pulled over by a police officer for something relatively minor (such as having a tail light out) back in the month of March 2014. In the course of "running the plates" it was discovered that the driver's automobile insurance had briefly lapsed in November 2013, however four days later (after payday), she was able to get it going once again. Because of that four-day lapse, the officer who pulled her over was legally able to remove her license plates from her vehicle and have them destroyed. She had to leave her car parked until a friend could tow it to a safe location and she was not able to get her license plates replaced until a 30-day waiting period had passed, meaning that she was unable to drive her vehicle during this time.
This action created it's own hardship (due to the fines and fees that resulted), but it was nonsensical that the state would also confiscate her license plates, leaving her unable to drive back and forth to work so she could earn money to pay the penalties, get a new inspection and purchase new plates.

In calling state offices in effort to help my friend, I was told that the law in NC is that a licensed vehicle must have insurance (yes, that I understand) and that any lapses or cancellations on the insurance during that year will result in plate confiscation, fines and associated fees.

Here is are my two biggest issues with the way this law is written:
1) We live in another state and have two older vehicles that are driven only once or twice a year. As a result, I keep the license plates current, but only insure them during the months they are going to be on the road. When they are not in use, I cancel the insurance on them. After all, why pay for something when we don't need it?
2) Since my friend was pulled over in March and had insurance, but was penalized for the four-day period in November when she didn't have insurance, how does the state know whether or not she even had her vehicle on the road during that four-day period? I do not know if she did or didn't, but what I am saying is that the officer assumed she was 'guilty' of driving without insurance during that four-day period just because of the lapse. In reality, she could have left her car in the driveway and rode with a coworker until payday. What happens to people who have major car repairs and have to nickle and dime their way through the repair over several months? Why would someone want to add the cost of also paying insurance for a broken down vehicle just because "it's the law"?

Overall, this was quite a learning experience for me and my friend. Up to that point, my husband and I were seriously considering moving our family to NC. No longer. NC can keep it's ridiculous laws and the people who put up with them. We'll stay where we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 04:07 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Look, it's simple.

If you cancel your insurance, turn in your tag. It's illegal to drive without tags, and it's illegal to drive without insurance. And it's illegal to cancel your insurance and NOT turn in your tags.

And spare us your righteous indignation. Your veiled insults at "the people who put up with them" aren't unnoticed. Stay where you are, we won't miss ya. We have enough uninsured drivers in NC already, that's why the law is so strict. Maybe you should try Mexico. I heard they don't give a flip...

Old 07-17-2014, 05:21 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
This is wrong. If your insurance lapses and then you reinstate it you do not loose your tag. It would only happen if you did not properly follow the process for reinstatement. Sounds to me like the driver/owner ignored the DMV.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boncar View Post
:
Overall, this was quite a learning experience for me and my friend. Up to that point, my husband and I were seriously considering moving our family to NC. No longer. NC can keep it's ridiculous laws and the people who put up with them. We'll stay where we are.
That's a good decision for all of us.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Are NC legislators in bed with the auto insurance companies?

I know someone who was recently pulled over by a police officer for something relatively minor (such as having a tail light out) back in the month of March 2014. In the course of "running the plates" it was discovered that the driver's automobile insurance had briefly lapsed in November 2013, however four days later (after payday), she was able to get it going once again. Because of that four-day lapse, the officer who pulled her over was legally able to remove her license plates from her vehicle and have them destroyed. She had to leave her car parked until a friend could tow it to a safe location and she was not able to get her license plates replaced until a 30-day waiting period had passed, meaning that she was unable to drive her vehicle during this time.
This action created it's own hardship (due to the fines and fees that resulted), but it was nonsensical that the state would also confiscate her license plates, leaving her unable to drive back and forth to work so she could earn money to pay the penalties, get a new inspection and purchase new plates.

In calling state offices in effort to help my friend, I was told that the law in NC is that a licensed vehicle must have insurance (yes, that I understand) and that any lapses or cancellations on the insurance during that year will result in plate confiscation, fines and associated fees.

Here is are my two biggest issues with the way this law is written:
1) We live in another state and have two older vehicles that are driven only once or twice a year. As a result, I keep the license plates current, but only insure them during the months they are going to be on the road. When they are not in use, I cancel the insurance on them. After all, why pay for something when we don't need it?
2) Since my friend was pulled over in March and had insurance, but was penalized for the four-day period in November when she didn't have insurance, how does the state know whether or not she even had her vehicle on the road during that four-day period? I do not know if she did or didn't, but what I am saying is that the officer assumed she was 'guilty' of driving without insurance during that four-day period just because of the lapse. In reality, she could have left her car in the driveway and rode with a coworker until payday. What happens to people who have major car repairs and have to nickle and dime their way through the repair over several months? Why would someone want to add the cost of also paying insurance for a broken down vehicle just because "it's the law"?

This does not make sense. How can you get your plate removed for an offense that occurred months before? I presume the car was insured when it was pulled over. Can a NC cop write you a speeding ticket because they saw you speeding last year but they were busy doing something else? I don't think so.

Perhaps you friend? is not being completely truthful.

I will agree that NC legislators are in bed with some influence providers $$$$ but that is another topic.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
This happened to me because of expired Credit Card I didn't relize I had on file at Gieco. My insurance lapsed, for a day or 2. I got notice in the mail that my registration was revoked. I had to go to the DMV with proof of insurance....and I might have had to pay a small re-register fee...can remember. Sounds like the driver blew off the revoke letter.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times
Its a $50 fee if you do it quickly and correctly when notified. I had an issue where I cancelled 1 carrier and started another carrier in the same day. But when I cancelled they made it retroactive and for the 1st of that month and refunded me my money so I was "without" insurance for 4 days but never was. I was pulled over because the cop ran my tag at a stoplight and once I showed proof of insurance to him he said to get it handled and the DMV and told me to have a good day. Your friend is not telling you the whole story they did not respond to the 2-3 lettters you will get from the DMV before they do the 30 day revoke, or it has happned multiple times.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM

369 posts, read 459,809 times
I had a very similar experience to Pumbaa's. My car was never uninsured, but on paper it looked like it was due to when I cancelled my old insurance. They asked me to pay a $50 fine (which I paid as I didn't want to try to explain what happened to someone at the dmv). I did read in the notice that a failure to pay the $50 fine when notified would be grounds for a suspension of your registration.

Sounds like MUD or your friend isn't telling the entire truth.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
... NC can keep it's ridiculous laws and the people who put up with them. We'll stay where we are.
If your reason for posting that diatribe was to solicit comments from the locals then....

I don't have any problem with your decision to stay.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If your reason for posting that diatribe was to solicit comments from the locals then....

I don't have any problem with your decision to stay.
Yeah... same here.

I happen to like it when people, you know, carry car insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina