Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 31,640 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher from NY looking in NC for a job! I also need to be nearby a larger community so my husband can find a job! I like something small like Mars-Hill, Cooleemee and or Saluda--small, rural but near larger towns for shopping and jobs...I have son who is big in football-so he needs a HighSchool with a football team...I want the smallest tornadoe risk available in the South and of course a safe area- obviously crime is everywhere - we do not go looking for it here nor will be looking for it there...we do not want to change anyone or bring our big bad (yeah right) NY attitude to NC- we don't even want to live in "relocation pockets" (aka not looking for HOA with other NYers) We will buy a home in a small town just as we should--so what can you all tell me? We have thought of TN too- I just want a teaching job...NC seems a little more prospective in this field than TN at the moment...but one thing I read and DO NOT want is to be hired as a teacher and then have to make lunches and drive school bus in my "spare" time...I'm all for helping out the local district but thats pushing it...fire away ya'll ~I'M waiting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom3 View Post
I am a teacher from NY looking in NC for a job! I also need to be nearby a larger community so my husband can find a job! I like something small like Mars-Hill, Cooleemee and or Saluda--small, rural but near larger towns for shopping and jobs...I have son who is big in football-so he needs a HighSchool with a football team...I want the smallest tornadoe risk available in the South and of course a safe area- obviously crime is everywhere - we do not go looking for it here nor will be looking for it there...we do not want to change anyone or bring our big bad (yeah right) NY attitude to NC- we don't even want to live in "relocation pockets" (aka not looking for HOA with other NYers) We will buy a home in a small town just as we should--so what can you all tell me? We have thought of TN too- I just want a teaching job...NC seems a little more prospective in this field than TN at the moment...but one thing I read and DO NOT want is to be hired as a teacher and then have to make lunches and drive school bus in my "spare" time...I'm all for helping out the local district but thats pushing it...fire away ya'll ~I'M waiting...

Consider Concord - close enough to Charlotte for you hubby, good schools for you and your son. The Concord High Spiders just won their second in a row state football championship (3A) last weekend. It's a nice community.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:12 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,661 times
I like your attitude towards moving. Tennessee has the tornadoes. Western North Carolina rarely ever has one. In Tennessee, the tornado season is in the spring. Both places are growing fast. The use of the drug meth has caused a rise in the rate of crime in certain areas. You should never have to make lunches or drive a school bus as part of your teaching duties. Never. Unless, there is some kind of emergency situation. A friend of mine , who is currently teaching there, says there are some teaching jobs opening up because the "boomer" generation teachers are starting to retire.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 31,640 times
Default concord...any others?

Concord NC has been mentioned (Thanks) any other areas? budong..where abouts are you (or your friend)? This whole process sucks...but I know its worth it and is the right thing to do--but its the process that stinks. I don't mean to sound like a shallow peron..."football" is not the high light of my life- but it (currently) is for my son--and I want him to be happy and SAFE...so Please just send me some info...Thanks!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:25 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom3 View Post
Concord NC has been mentioned (Thanks) any other areas? budong..where abouts are you (or your friend)? This whole process sucks...but I know its worth it and is the right thing to do--but its the process that stinks. I don't mean to sound like a shallow peron..."football" is not the high light of my life- but it (currently) is for my son--and I want him to be happy and SAFE...so Please just send me some info...Thanks!
I have a home in the mountains of North Carolina and a farm in Tennessee. The area of northeast Tennessee [Bristol, Johnson City and Kingsport] are all low on the chances of a tornado. Around 73% smaller than the national average.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,482 times
Default teaching in NC

I do not know if anyone has replied to you yet. I live in Johnson City tn (norheast tn) and I have a teaching degree, also I am a real estate agent. Its a whole long story really. You have a fair chance of getting a teaching job here since you have prior experience. You need to look at the counties that you want to live in, and or the cities and see if you can search their schools systems on google. Example johnson city schools tn. It will usually bring you to their main websites for those systems and tell you what employment is available. Usually NC has more opportunities and sign on bonuses because we have a college in this area, and once people graduate with their teaching degrees they usually want to stay. So everyone, but this area really needs teachers. You would have a better chance though since you already have a lot of experience. Look around, contact schools, downloand their applications and fax them back. When they are in need the first thing they start to do is look at their apps on file. This is a wonderful area for familes, thats why so many people stay here. We moved here from Colorado 9 years ago, and my family loves it. Just a few tips. If you have any more questions I would love to help you. Plus the lure of Tenn is there is no state income tax here. Also, if you get on the outskirts of Asheville, its beautiful, a very cosmopolitan town with lots of opportunities. My email address is Twinkle282@aol.com feel free to email me.

Micah

Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,766 times
I travel a great deal in the central and western parts of N.C and a good bit in TN. There are several great areas depending on the "style" of life you are looking for Concord is great (lived ther 7 years) but not so much a small town any more. Shelby is good Troutman to the north, Marshville is more country and a little farther out (40 miles to Charlotte) mifland and locust are great growing areas to the south of concord and east of Charlotte. Being a Yankee transplant myself, its nice to have the mountains and the beach both about 3 hours away, the big city close enough and the peace of the country all in one area. And I too, am looking at becoming a teacher in the lateral entery program.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,249 times
If you want to teach in NC - Raleigh or Durham area (s) are your best bet. I am from the NC mountains and have wanted a teaching job there for years and years and I cannot get one. It seems they only retain the people they have and do not have many openings. I am working above Raleigh near the NC / VA line-and there are PLENTY of teaching jobs in that area.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherNCT View Post
If you want to teach in NC - Raleigh or Durham area (s) are your best bet. I am from the NC mountains and have wanted a teaching job there for years and years and I cannot get one. It seems they only retain the people they have and do not have many openings. I am working above Raleigh near the NC / VA line-and there are PLENTY of teaching jobs in that area.
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the cuts in Wake County, then?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the cuts in Wake County, then?

or the fact this thread is nearly 4 years old.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina