Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It was the pines that came down in my neighborhood in Fran. There were one or two hardwoods, but dozens of pines across the road.
How long were they down?/how long was it before you could travel again? I am so worried right now...we have a very important preplanned vacation Disney and can leave no later than September 19th or 20th. Storm forecast to hit 14th-16th...trees down power lines down flooded roads etc all expected. I remember I95 was shut down for awhile after Matthew. I'm afraid my car will be flooded and undriveable too. I say very important trip because for the past 6 months I have been planning on proposing to my girlfriend there with a surprise visit (to Disney) from her parents, who are flying in from Puerto Rico. All tickets are already purchased! The timing for this is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Rain Gutters!

Just flagged down a lawn guy and had mine blown out 100%

Old 09-10-2018, 02:27 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
How long were they down?/how long was it before you could travel again? I am so worried right now...we have a very important preplanned vacation Disney and can leave no later than September 19th or 20th. Storm forecast to hit 14th-16th...trees down power lines down flooded roads etc all expected. I remember I95 was shut down for awhile after Matthew. I'm afraid my car will be flooded and undriveable too. I say very important trip because for the past 6 months I have been planning on proposing to my girlfriend there with a surprise visit (to Disney) from her parents, who are flying in from Puerto Rico. All tickets are already purchased! The timing for this is horrible.
Trip insurance? In Wake Cty after Fran it took 1-2 weeks to get most roads cleared of trees and power lines. Your marriage proposal will still be valid if you have to postpone the trip and relatives will surely understand that hurricanes are not in your control. Esp ones from PR!

Old 09-10-2018, 02:39 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enTERPRising View Post
ECU closing up shop on Tue at Noon.

https://www.ecu.edu/alert

Hoping NCSU will make some type of announcement by Wed, depending on the path projection.
NCSU suspending classes as of Wednesday at 5PM, through Sunday.

https://www.ncsu.edu/emergency-infor...cane-florence/

Old 09-10-2018, 02:47 PM

202 posts, read 174,015 times
What's the latest projection on when this beast rolls into Raleigh?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Our street was impassable for about 9 or 10 days. If you're on a more major road that will most likely get cleared sooner.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:42 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Ahhh.... yes... do you have a really large hardwood in the front yard?

If not, you're fine. Smaller trees usually do fine.

We have huge windows like the ones you're describing, though we have a screened porch directly in front of them, so it's never been a big deal.
We have 2 big trees in our yard and multiple in the neighbors' yards and whatnot, quite a few little ones as well. Note the power lines behind that 2nd tree....we will lose power quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
Trip insurance? In Wake Cty after Fran it took 1-2 weeks to get most roads cleared of trees and power lines. Your marriage proposal will still be valid if you have to postpone the trip and relatives will surely understand that hurricanes are not in your control. Esp ones from PR!
Yeah. Honestly it would probably be even more intimate than around a bunch of other Disney-goers. Would suck if her parents had to go without us, though.

I didn't opt for trip insurance because my dumb self didn't put together "Florida" and "hurricane season". Hope they let us reschedule. We don't want to cancel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
What's the latest projection on when this beast rolls into Raleigh?
Probably late Thursday. Would start getting cloudy and breezy by Thursday afternoon, with storms rolling in overnight Thursday and lasting until Saturday or maybe even Sunday (this thing is expected to stall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Our street was impassable for about 9 or 10 days. If you're on a more major road that will most likely get cleared sooner.
Our neighborhood is right off Wake Forest Rd near Duke Raleigh hospital, so the area might get cleaned up quick but idk about our neighborhood streets. This should be interesting!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:38 PM

369 posts, read 460,324 times
For those that are filling up bathtubs for flushing, etc. When do you plan on filling them?

Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
I have lived in Wake Cty since 1990, always in Raleigh city limits. I have never had an issue with continued running water in any past storms, be it hurricanes, snow or ice. I keep some bottled water here only for convenience. Can someone explain the need for bathtubs of water? I don’t understand.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
I have lived in Wake Cty since 1990, always in Raleigh city limits. I have never had an issue with continued running water in any past storms, be it hurricanes, snow or ice. I keep some bottled water here only for convenience. Can someone explain the need for bathtubs of water? I don’t understand.

I have well water, not city, and the pump is powered by electricity.

No power, no water....so we save ahead tub water for handwashing, bird baths, dishes etc. And have bottled water on hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina